1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where to go in Kentucky?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by GameFreac, Sep 19, 2012.

1. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

I might be going to Bowling Green, Kentucky next weekend. What bottle shops should I go to (I won't be going to any bars) and what should I get that I can't get in GA or TN? I was thinking 3 Floyd's obviously but I'm assuming I won't find Zombie Dust so what will I be able to find? Any other breweries? I won't have a lot of money to spend. Thanks.
  2. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (480) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

Kentucky has some beer distribution issues, so you may not find any craft-centric bottle stores. Last time I was in Bowling Green I could find nothing, despite being a college town. I ended up in TN just to get New Belgium Fat Tire.
  3. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

You definitely want to hit up Wino's Depot, Shenanigan's, and Mellow Mushroom.
    BoneyardBrewer and kaips1 like this.
  4. Brent

Brent Advocate (565) Kentucky Mar 2, 2001

I don't know how long it has been since you visited Bowling Green, but that is certainly not the case at the present. Wino's has an outstanding selection of craft beers, some of which you won't find anywhere else in the state. Shenanigan's is also a good option, and close-by.
  5. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

From what I've seen from afar, Wino's looks really good.
  6. GameFreac

Ok so what 3 Floyds stuff would I be able to find?
  7. I haven't been to winos' in the past month or so, but last time I was at chucks liquor outlet (the veteran's memorial location) they had moloko, blackheart, calumet queen...and something else i can't quite remember. Wino's generally seems to have one or two on tap at least.
  8. GameFreac

I'm just gonna get bottles.

Any other breweries I should check out that are a must try that I can't get in GA or TN?
  9. I don't know how much Dogfish you all get but you can generally find that most places in BG (i feel like the main stores in town are: winos depot, chucks, greenwood spirit shop, and shenanigans). Aside from that sixpoint is always good. If you haven't checked it out try seekabrew.com, pretty useful to compare states distro.
  10. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (480) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

I was in Bowling Green about a year ago and missed Winos. It's not near the mall is it?
  11. GameFreac

I can get all of Dogfish Head in GA

I'm aware of Seekabrew but I don't know which breweries are good
  12. GameFreac

If I had like $20 and HAD to get 2 things, what should I get? I know Sofie and Matilda will be in Georgia soon.

3 Floyds:

Black Sun Stout and Brian Boru

Great Lakes:

Edmond Fitz
    Eliot Ness
    Oktoberfest
    Burning River
    Dortmunder Gold
    maybe one or 2 more

Goose Island:

Honkers
    Harvest
    Matilda
    Sofie
    Pere Jaques
    IPA
  13. drfabulous

Probably all of that Goose Island will be in Georgia. If you see them, buy New Albanian. I don't know if they distribute to Bowling Green, but you can find them in Louisville and Lexington.
  14. GameFreac

Yeah I wasn't sure if we were getting everything eventually or not so I'll skip Goose Island then.

Cool I'll see if they have it.
  15. GameFreac

I didn't realize they had Sixpoint. Should I try Resin? I've heard good things.
  16. drfabulous

Yeah. Give Resin a try. Supplies might be dwindling. Dark Horse is here too.
  17. GameFreac

Good to know. Thanks.
  18. Resin is quite delicious, and I've still seen it around BG. I've seen some new albanian here in town, maybe 4 or 5 different kinds...hoptimus, black and blue grass, and bonfire of the valkyries were at chucks last time i went...have yet to try any of them though, been eyeing them for a while now.
  19. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Already mentioned:
    Chucks liquor has greatest selection
    Wino's depot is nice. Terrific, but small selection of bottles. They have have a wonderful and rotating line of taps to sip on or growler fill!
    Ask for Blake, knows his shit.
  20. Brent

Brent Advocate (565) Kentucky Mar 2, 2001

Nope - not near the mall (those are Greenwood Spirits and Chuck's on Three Springs). Not sure if Winos has been open a year yet. Winos and Shenanigans are in the vicinity of the Kroger shopping center at the intersection of Campbell Lane and Nashville Road.

Do not use the new non-Google Maps mapping service on the i-phone upgrade to find them. It will put you several miles down the road from where they are located.
  21. GameFreac

Thanks

Chuck's is a half a mile away from my hotel

Wino's and Shenanigan's are about 3 miles from my hotel. Can't wait to pick up some great stuff.
  22. GameFreac

I ended up going to Wino's and got some Alpha King on tap (amazing), some Edmond Fitzgerald, and some 3 Floyds Scottish Ale. Thanks for all your help guys.
  23. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

I'll say it:

1. Go to Narnia, KY (a couple hours drive if you know where to go): Rare sits on shelves and hobos brown bag King Henry.

2. Say hello to Yoniwolf.
  24. GameFreac

Problem is, I'm with other people and don't have my own car so I can't. Sucks.
  25. I used to hit up narnia, ky a lot, but I just ended up with so much rare it became mundane. It got too popular too, like hipster central, I'll probably get some more when it isn't cool anymore.