Dismiss Notice
Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Learn more about beer. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for as low as 68% off the single issue price.

Subscribe now →

Where to say when visiting HF?

Discussion in 'New England' started by brewbetter, Nov 14, 2012.

1. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I'm planning on making the VT trip in about a month. Where is a good place to stay? I couldn't find any hotels anywhere close.
  2. There's really no place nearby that I found. I've just stayed in Waterbury or Montpelier and made the hour drive. There are a few places in St Johnsbury but many are seasonal so may not be available and aren't more than 15min closer anyway. Staying near the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury is worth the extra drive.
  3. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

The Stagecoach Inn in Waterbury is a nice quaint place. No frills, but the owners are nice and it's within walking distance to all the bars/restaurants (Blackback Pub, Prohibition Pig, The Rez). Also breakfast is included with your room and it is made to order.
    woosterbill likes this.
  4. There isn't anyplace close. HF defines "middle of nowhere". Stay in Stowe, Waterbury, Montpelier, or Burlington. It's a reasonable 60-90 minute or so drive from those places. Hit HF in the day, then the bars at night.
  5. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

This. When visiting Hill Farmstead, you just kind of go there and get beer. There's not anything to really DO up there besides going to a couple restaurants. You're much better off staying around 89, hitting some good bars and hopefully walking back to a hotel.
  6. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (660) California Aug 26, 2009 Verified

As others have said, your best bet is to stay a couple of nights in Waterbury. Food and a few beers at the Prohibition Pig and then make your way across the street to Blackback pub for a few more before you stumble back to your hotel room. Wake up the next day and drive to HF.
  7. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (665) Vermont Oct 22, 2003 Verified

sounds like they should open a B and B over there.
  8. Franch

Franch Advocate (575) New York Mar 22, 2011

old stagecoach!
    Dat likes this.
  9. celfan

celfan Advocate (590) Vermont Jul 4, 2004 Verified

10. GoGriz

GoGriz Savant (265) Massachusetts Dec 2, 2008

Yeah the answer is Hardwick and the Kimball House. Stayed there at least three times. Always great and about $100 for a nice room (nicer than the Olde Stagecoach which I stayed in last weekend). Done.
  11. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

Interesting...might have to give them a try next time we're staying more than a day. Thanks for the tip!
  12. woosterbill

woosterbill Champion (905) Kentucky Apr 6, 2009 Verified

My wife and I recently made an overnight trip where we drove up, hit HF during the day, then spent the night at the Old Stagecoach. It wasn't the nicest room I've ever stayed in for the price ($140), but the breakfast was terrific and you can't really overstate the importance of being able to stumble back safely from a Rez/Prohibition Pig/Blackback pub crawl. I'll be staying there again, no doubt.
  13. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (705) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Interesting,I'm hoping to maybe make a trip in Jan. for my birthday.

14. sandman3479

sandman3479 Advocate (570) Connecticut Dec 8, 2006 Verified

Staying at the Best Western Plus this weekend for Waterbury purposes. Walkable to the bars?
  15. Absolutely, about a mile - just be careful late at night if you take the non-highway shortcut - half of the way is a dark and winding road.

I may try the Best Western on my next trip. As others have pointed out, I'm a little underwhelmed by the Stagecoach. You can't beat the location or the breakfast, but some of the rooms are really run down and the prices can be high.
  16. sandman3479

I heard that about that place.

Best Western was $108 after AAA discount (but before taxes). Should be fine.
  17. I have stayed at the Best Western once. . . not a bad experience, just fairly expensive for what you get. My girlfriend and I have had good luck at the Hilltop Inn in Montpelier. It's priced very modestly and we have been lucky by not running into many of the issues voiced in online reviews... It's hard for me to recommend fully, given the nature of the reviews, but just wanted to throw it out there as an option for the budget conscious.
  18. sandman3479

The reason we chose Best Western is so we could walk home from the Wbury bars. Can't do that in Montpelier.

I just Googlemapped it, and from Best Western to The Res, it's 1.1 miles.
  19. The non-shortcut route isn't the safest either with no sidewalks near the highway overpass exit/entrance ramps. Drunks driving away from the bar didn't make me feel any safer either - not to mention the random ahole in a pickup truck with big tires that thought it funny to pretend to swerve in my direction. Carry a flashlight.
    Rochefort10nh likes this.
  20. woosterbill

woosterbill Champion (905) Kentucky Apr 6, 2009 Verified

If the Best Western is only about $30 cheaper than the Old Stagecoach, I think it would be worth it to get the better location - especially if breakfast isn't included at the former.
  21. celfan

Welcome to Vermont
  22. celfan

makisupapolice14 likes this.
  23. Franch

i would never stay in the best western over the stagecoach. even if you don't buy into the stagecoach being charming and quaint and prefer to see it as "run-down", the distance to the bars is a huge bonus. ceight and i knew that a buddy had stayed in the best western and walked to the bars, and literally every time we drove into waterbury from HF, we observed that he was "fucking crazy" to walk in the pitch black past expressway onramps and down to the bars and back, and it's far enough to make it miserable in such conditions. every time. i'd likely drive to the bars and have only a beer or two before walking that twice, once drunk.

oh, and stagecoach's breakfast is amazing.
  24. There is charming and quaint, and then there is moldy bathrooms. It's not a bad place by any stretch, and the location alone arguably does make it worth it. But, they really could stand to put a bit of TLC into the place. Also some of the rooms don't have private bathrooms. I've stayed there a few times, and I will likely stay there again, but it does have issues.
  25. The best western is under a mile from downtown along stowe st.
    yea it's dark and there isn't a sidewalk for 1/10th of a mile...bring a flashlight :)
    MEW likes this.
  26. Franch

yeah, there are issues for sure. no mold in my room, thankfully. it's clearly a worn-down place run by someone who doesn't really care anymore but it's something to do.

i avoided the private bathroom issue by booking a room with a private bathroom.
  27. kinopio

kinopio Savant (420) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

But Montpelier has Three Penny. And then Kismet the next day for Brunch. Not a bad combo.
  28. man some of you folks are pretty picky I guess. I've stayed at the old stagecoach (once in their most expensive room and once in the cheapest room with the shared bathroom) and we have no complaints whatsoever. The owner John is a great guy, makes a great bfast and CARES about his guests. Always willing to chat and makes us feel more than welcome. Our rooms have been clean for sure (especially compared to some mid-range chain hotels we have stayed at). For the extra few bucks I think you are crazy to choose the best western over old stagecoach but to each their own. Some people just dont like the BandB scene.
  29. nh2032

nh2032 Advocate (575) New York Oct 15, 2009

Am I the only one who stays in Burlington, road trips to HF, eats at Prohibition Pig on the way back through, and then does evening drinks at the Farmhouse downstairs bar? As has been mentioned even staying in Waterbury it's still a hike to Greensboro so the extra 30 minutes isn't a deal breaker for me.
    MarkF150 likes this.
  30. makdeco

makdeco Savant (350) Illinois Jan 31, 2007 Verified

yep stay in waterbury walk to PP, Blackback, and The Res. and stumble back to you r room...

I have stayed in Burlington as well and have done the same thing, stumble, stumble etc...
  31. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (635) Maine May 1, 2011

Going to HF is on my to-do list for next year. The 3 year anniversary on May 25 sounds like a plan.
  32. makdeco

yeah that would be a good time but if you don't get tickets don't get discouraged and still make a trip up there... I have been up there for fests and in the winter and enjoyed when no one was up there in the winter... cheers..
  33. BlueRogue

I definitely plan on going either way at some point. It'll be a 3 hour drive for me so I figured I'd try to get the most out of it by going to an event. If I miss out on that I'll just go in the Fall. At least then it will be a scenic drive
  34. makdeco

it's an 18 hr drive for me and I've done it twice just this year... All ready making my plans for 2/13 trip
  35. BlueRogue

Damn, I guess you'd say it's worth the trip huh? ;)
    makdeco likes this.
  36. makdeco

yes! in combo with Burlington, and waterbury and usually a great bottle share in Ithaca, NY it's been good times...
    BlueRogue likes this.
  37. Did my first trip last weekend. Totally worth the 4 hr drive. Stayed in Burlington and loved it. Hit Alchemist on Monday. Epic trip! Can't wait until next time. Doesn't seem like HF or Alchemist are going to MA anytime soon, so I'll have to make the trip again.
  38. MarkF150

MarkF150 Savant (400) Massachusetts Feb 9, 2009 Verified

I do this every time I head up. And then hit the Pig on the way back home for lunch on Sun.