1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where/What to buy while in Houston

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by genitempo, Nov 11, 2012.

1. genitempo

genitempo Aficionado (220) Texas Jun 19, 2011

Heading to West Houston for a few days and looking to pick some stuff up that never makes it to the Austin region (particularly Karbach, want to get a hold of the Krunkin Pumpkin if possible). Anybody know of any good decent bottle shops, hopefully on the west side?
  2. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Could you define "west"? Outside of 610? Beltway 8?
  3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I think the ship on Krunkin' Pumpkin has sailed the way Houston BA'ers were going crazy for it.
  4. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

Also, it would help if you let us know what kind of beers you like. Are you a hop head, do you prefer stouts?

I highly doubt you will be able to locate any Krunkin Pumpkin but I could be wrong. I don't live in that area.

Hefeweizen: Highly suggest Karbach - Weisse Versa (Love this Beer)
    IPA: Karbach - Rodeo Clown or Hopadillo; Southern Stars - ProAm Double IPA (if it is still available)
    Stout: Southern Star - Buried Hatchet

No Label Brewing is out of Katy (West side of Town) but I haven't tried any of their offerings so I cannot comment on them. There may be more but this is all I could come up with at the time.
  5. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Karbach and Southern Star are the two best to check out... No Label has tastings every Saturday.. so if you can make it go.. I think it's five dollars and you get four tickets... plus a tasting glass if I remember right and then you can buy one of their pint glasses and get the full pour for each ticket....

Personally I'm not really a fan of any of their beers. Ridgeback is ok, and my favorite of theirs if I have to choose.

Karbach does tasting tours on Friday afternoons and Saturday.. and certainly worth going to if you have the time!

Buffalo Bayou Brewing has tastings on Saturday and I really like going to theirs also.

Some of the bigger HEB's will sell separate bottles that are pulled into a display... you just don't have any say as to what is going to be there. Sometimes there is great stuff.. sometimes... mostly eh...

There is a big Specs on Mason Road.. my cousin lives in Katy and they have a really good selection, but of course no singles besides bombers.

Karbach Yule Shoot Your Eye Out is out right now... and you can probably find some of that... Krunkin Pumpkin is probably all gone everywhere. Maybe you can offer to bring something down and trade with someone here?

Karbach Bodacious would also be worth trading for while on your trip.
  6. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Saw some Pro-AM this friday at downtown Specs (Smith Street). It probably won't be as fresh as you would like it to be but might as well try it. It's very very very good with that price point.

I highly recommend hitting the D&Q and talking to Brandon. He might just hook you up ;)
  7. Houston doesnt really have "bottle shops" unfortunately.

Just go to D&Q if you get the chance...... you're welcome
  8. codyhaskell

codyhaskell Savant (320) Texas Aug 27, 2009

I'm going to assume by West Houston you don't mean as far west as Katy. The HEB at Bunker Hill is your West Side HEB for beer. There is also a Kroger on Eldrige at Briar Forrest with a small single/bomber selection. The Spec's on Memorial at Dairy Ashford has a decent selection of bombers and larger format bottles, but don't expect to find any Krunkin Pumpkin at any of these stores as we Houstonians take our local brews very seriously. The Spec's on Westheimer at Kirkwood has a larger selection of bombers, but you won't see anything you (theoretically) can't get in Austin. HEB Bunker Hill, Spec's Westheimer, and Kroger will all have the local cans and bottles of Karbach and No Label you can't yet get in Austin. I've had some Southern Star in Austin, so I won't bother mentioning that (although, their most recent seasonal is out in Houston, although I haven't seen it with my own two eyes). The Whole Foods on Westheimer at Wilcrest is also decent, but not a great pick for you.

If you've got the time, head into town for Buffalo Bayou on draft. Cayon Creek, just inside the 610 Loop, Liberty Station a little further in, Boneyard Drinkery, Little Woodrow's Heights are all close to I-10 and an easy drive in/out to West Houston. A little extra effort will get you to Petrol Station and Cottonwood Bar in White Oak, north of 610 at Ella/Shepherd and Down House on the south side of 610 in the same area.

Happy hunting, BA.
  9. No Label you can't yet get in Austin ??? yes, you can -
  10. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

I don't know if I would recommend Boneyard Drinkery since it is a dog park bar. Don't get me wrong though, as I love the place, just its a tad expensive at times but is most definitely worth it if you need to let your dog get exercise.

The rest of the list is solid.
  11. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Karbarch!!!! Weisse Versa is an incredible wheat beer. Yule Shoot Yer Eye Out is their new seasonal.