1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where's the SA Noble Pils at?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, May 23, 2013.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (565) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

So due to high demand, Jim decided to switch from making the Noble Pils from a seasonal release to year-round distribution of this beer. I haven't seen it in the beer/liquor stores in MD for over a month. Probably one of my favorite pilsners and great for the warm weather and yet I can't get it anywhere. What's up with this?
  2. willth

willth Aficionado (235) Michigan Apr 2, 2013

I may be alone on this but i would not be mad at all if all Sam Adams products went away. I will not under any circumstances buy a sams product again untill A: they admit they are not a craft brewery and B: bring back revolutionary rye
    JJWIGHT and Kenzie like this.
  3. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

BBC is a craft brewery, as they brew craft beer. They may advertise, and produce more beer than the average bear, but the beer they brew is rather tasty.
    mrcraft, pweis909, cbeer88 and 16 others like this.
  4. rc51sport

rc51sport Savant (415) Florida Feb 25, 2013

Same problem here OP. Just looked tonight and still none here
    Providence likes this.
  5. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

By the way, and for what it's worth...

Have you tried Alpine Spring? Different style of beer, but I find it appropriate for the weather in my neck of the urbanized woods.
  6. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

Try their website - there is a beer finder feature that uses your zip code to find a specific beer. Worked for me, it's at several stores nearby.
  7. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (700) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

My store was bringing it in special for me but was told they can't get it any more....something must be changing..
  8. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Sam Adams is big, yes, but they got to be so by brewing quality craft beer for the masses -- and long before many of this nation's craft breweries. To dislike their beers is one thing, but to dislike them because of their growth is basically saying you don't want to see craft breweries succeed. The craft beer community really owes a huge debt to Boston Beer Company.
    mrcraft, dianimal, MilkManX and 17 others like this.
  9. mylar

mylar Aficionado (180) Pennsylvania Dec 13, 2011

I havnt seen it since that alpine spring bullshit replaced it as the spring seasonal....
  10. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

In my book if you produce like 20 styles you ARE craft. They obviously care about beer, even if they also try to appeal wider audiences than say, Founders, who bullshittingly says they only brew for themselves
    dan027, SadMachine and 5thOhio like this.
  11. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I saw some this afternoon. Of course, this was less than 10 miles, probably under 5 from the Boston facility.
  12. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Its appearance has been sporadic in these parts. Random liquor stores not generally known for beer selection sometimes carry it, but not with any regularity.
  13. I saw it today on clearance at the local Meijer here in Michigan...I'm not sure why it was as it's "best until date" was August but it was priced down to 6.20 a six pack! I'm wondering if it's not selling as well anymore or if there's something up with the distribution of it.
  14. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

Uh, they don't say "only" for themselves.

They just brew beer they like.

Then again, what brewer doesn't do that?
  15. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (330) Arkansas Feb 16, 2009

I think Sam Adams is a national treasure, they make "craft" beer more accessible. Having said that, they need to bring back Honey Porter and Noble Pils.
  16. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Agreed. I've said it before, in situations where there's little more than a sea of light lagers to choose from, I'll happily order a Boston Lager and be glad it was available.
  17. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (330) Arkansas Feb 16, 2009

The Hoffbrau in Fayetteville, Arkansas was the first place, in my area, to serve something other than BMC on tap. It was Sam Adams Boston Lager. It was an opening to a whole new world of beer. When you buy Sam Adams beer you are getting a well made, top of the line product.
    MilkManX and djsmith1174 like this.
  18. BogusOwnz

BogusOwnz Aficionado (120) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Sam Adams has done a lot in the last few years. The single hop 12 pack a couple years ago was amazing and just plain fun. I never thought I would say this about a Sam Adams beer but Double Agent IPL IMO is the best beer of 2013 thus far. They took a new idea and turned into something that instantly tastes like a classic.
    HisBoyElroy, MilkManX, dan027 and 2 others like this.
  19. This would be a good beer to can.
  20. beerserks

beerserks Savant (290) Texas Oct 19, 2010

Been finding it easily here in Texas, and at WalMart of all the places. I've already gone thru a few 6er's, love this stuff this time of year!
  21. Smw356

Smw356 Zealot (75) Ohio Jan 14, 2013

I really wish this was still a seasonal as soo many shitty bars will carry Boston Lager and whatever the Sam seasonal is as their only craft beer options, and it was nice being able to get a noble pils then. If I have to go to the store to get it in a 6 pack and be subjected to the fact that its 50/50 if its even remotely fresh, kind of just makes me gravitate to something else.
    Kadonny and Errto like this.
  22. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I feel lucky. Noble has been readily available here for at least the past year. But I buy more Sam Irish Red.
  23. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

My feeling is, if you call out your indy status, then you're not. There is something to be said for shutting up and doing what you do.
  24. I agree. This would rock during the summer BBQ's/beach trips, etc.
  25. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

Seems to be harder to find around here too, just in the last month or so. I'm not sure why.
  26. I haven't seen Noble Pils available in about 4 years since it was first released to the market. I liked it and wouldn't mind drinking it again.
    Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  27. good more for us
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  28. For the love of god can we please not get into this again.....
    OldhouseRecs, rtrasr and Errto like this.
  29. Really enjoying those who are standing in support of Sam and Team. They have done tremendous work in advancing the craft beer movement.

To those who don't understand that, "Hipsters gonna Hate"...
  30. I absolutely love Noble Pils and was stoked to here it'd be year round. While I am seeing it around in sixers. I no longer see it on draft anywhere though. That's a bummer. Scored something along the lines of a 32 oz. pour of that in a huge ass mug at Wickenden Pub a couple years back. It was the best $9 I'd ever spent.

Noble Pils in 16 oz. cans would be sick.
  31. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

See it all over in Northern Illinois. Now if I'd just see more Sierra Nevada Summerfest.
  32. They are as craft as craft can be.
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  33. teraflx

teraflx Savant (395) Arizona Feb 4, 2013

Saw it yesterday at my local Total Wine and a week ago or so at a local Bevmo so we still have it around here. Didn't check the dates on them.
  34. Not sure where in LA you are but most of the in state Noble Pils seems to be confined to Metairie rouses.
  35. BarnegatWS

BarnegatWS Aspirant (45) New Jersey Feb 27, 2012

In New Jersey we have been having lots of problem with the non-core Sam Adams varieties being available from our distributor at any given time. Noble Pils is in the Hop Tour six pack which has 2 Noble Pils, 2 Whitewater IPA, and 2 Latitude IPA in it. If your local store can't get the six packs in ask them about the variety pack and save the other bottles for company. The beer finder on the website can be misleading as to what is in stock when it even works. I can see Boston Lager from where I am sitting and according to the beer finder there is none available in my zip code.
  36. powerss13

powerss13 Aficionado (170) Kansas Apr 5, 2009

They do say they are craft, which they are...but they do seem (at least to my view) to try to portray themselves as a micro still, in which I disagree...that is all I have.
  37. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

I love Noble Pils and it is not only one of my favorite SA beers, but one of my favorite beers period. It does seem to be slowly disappearing from around here too, though, and I don't see it as often as I used to.

Hmm this plus a few of the other comments and with what I have been seeing, something may be up. I can't imagine they would stop making it, as it does seem to be a good seller and they should keep a solid Pils in their lineup. Maybe they are changing the formula?
  38. i think you are alone very alone on this
  39. willth

willth Aficionado (235) Michigan Apr 2, 2013

Yeah i got that but oh well. Everyone has their own opinion.
  40. Love Noble Pils, love Summerfest more (and its in cans!). We have plenty here, in bottles.

Admittedly I have yet to buy Summerfest this year, and I'm not sure it'll beat this years Sunshine Pils. I'm also eyeing my local's mini keg of Kulmbacher Pils.