1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Where's the SA Noble Pils at?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, May 23, 2013.

1. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Does it have to?

2. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Sly Fox Pils is far better IMO, Prima Pils is at least as good. I like a Pils with Oysters of all things, the combo just works for me..

3. Nope it most certainly doesn't.

4. I liked Noble Pils alot, though I know more people that dislike it. White Ale was better though.

stella77artois likes this.
  5. I highly recommend that you don’t ‘compete’ Summerfest to Sunshine Pils. Sunshine Pils has a BIG malt backbone from the use of German Pilsner malt and at 45 IBUs it is hopped like a Northern German Pilsner. Summerfest is not that sort of beer.

Cheers!

6. MarshMan71

MarshMan71 Advocate (625) Illinois Jul 17, 2012

Just seen a few 6ers at Kroger here in IL

7. I was just at my local retail beer distributor. They seemed to have every Sam Adams beer except for Noble Pils.

I did get a chance to drink samples of Bud Light Lime-a-rita and Bud Light Straw-ber-rita. What an experience that was!?!

Cheers!

8. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

In that case, would you like Goose Island to admit the same?

9. Yup. Damn good brew.

Noble Pills is hit or miss in my area of Upstate NY. Used to see it every, now only a few stores carry it.

10. Does every BBC thread have to turn into a debate on whether or not they are craft? Sheesh!

acevenom likes this.
  11. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (660) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

It sounds like other states are having troubles with this found recently as well. I wonder what's going on back at BBC? Maybe they ran out of ingredients or something...or dumped all the Noble Hops into the Alpine Spring batch and now they are waiting for next shipment? If anyone knows the scoop please share.

12. sammy806

sammy806 Savant (325) Maryland Feb 29, 2008

Don't know what part of Maryland the OP is from but just saw some Noble Pils at Friendship Liquors in Abingdon and, as of earlier today, it was showing as 'in stock' at Total Wine in Towson.

13. Agreed. But did you notice, it could just be me, that the White Ale tasted better when it was "the" Spring seasonal? Seems to taste a little different now that it's just one of the Winter seasonal's. Again, maybe it's just me.

14. nc41

Saw some of the Noble in their mixed sixer, I haven't seen any sixers standing alone.

15. bubseymour

I live in Frederick County, MD. I just tried a different store last night I haven't been to in a while and still none.

Prima Pils just doesn't do it for me anymore. Had one last week. Still a very decent beer but just a little too overhopped and dry on the pallet. Not thirst quenching enough for me for a summer beer. Noble Pils provides high quality pilsner flavorings in good measure but is more balanced and easy drinking. Just IMO.

16. nc41

I had some Sly Fox Pils when I was in Pa, and i thought it was as good or better than any Pils I've had from anyone.

17. There are a number of quality German style Pilsners brewed in SEPA. I enjoy Prima Pils but I must confess that I enjoy Sly Fox Pikeland Pils even more (nc41 posted about this beer). Unfortunately Sly Fox is not distributed to Maryland. Two other packaged Pilsners that are distributed to Maryland:

· Troegs Sunshine Pils: I think this year’s version is OUTSTANDING!
    · Stoudt’s Pils: An enjoyable beer to drink. I find this beer to be the least hoppy of the SEPA packaged Pilsners

There are a number of Pilsners only available on draft that I would recommend you try (if you see it on tap):

· Victory Braumeister Pilsners (where they ‘feature’ a particular hop): Braumeister Pils – Sladek, Braumeister Pils - Saaz, Braumeister Pils – Hallertau Mittelfruh, etc.
    · Victory also makes a number of ‘special’ Pilsners. For example, Victory recently made a beer called CBC Tettnang Pils and that beer was OUTSTANDING.
    · Sly Fox makes Keller Pils and Standard Pils on draft; unfortunately they don’t distribute to MD.

Another beer I would recommend which should be available soon (it is a summer seasonal) is Southampton Keller Pils. They somewhat vary the recipe of that beer from year to year but they have always been tasty beers.

Cheers!

18. Definitely possible. Though my palate has changed quite a bit. I remember White Ale being their spring beer when I first started drinking, and that was a long time ago! It definitely beats Noble Pils and Alpine Spring though.

stella77artois likes this.
  19. Rback

Rback Aficionado (160) New York Feb 26, 2012

19.99quote="willth, post: 1340999, member: 726674"]I may be alone on this but i would not be mad at all if all Sam Adams products went away. I will not under any circumstances buy a sams product again untill A: they admit they are not a craft brewery and B: bring back revolutionary rye[/quote]
    So you don't drink beer because you like the taste ? You drink beer because of the corporation type ? That implies-Bud comes out with a beer that tastes like Pliny or Heady or (insert your favorite beer) at $ 19.99 per case plus a $4 rebate you would stand firm & not drink this non-craft brewers offering. Those principles are admirable.

20. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (235) Ohio May 22, 2006

This is stated to be available year round, but I have not seen any here in Cleveland for quite a while now. Anyone having problems getting this?

21. Actually saw it in my local grocery store for the first time anywhere in months, Best Before October.

22. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Savant (295) Michigan Mar 4, 2013

Pretty common around here.

23. No issue getting it in NJ. We get a case or two every week to my store.

24. mntlover

mntlover Advocate (535) Tennessee Jun 30, 2003

Yeah use to be everywhere but other day I wanted some and there was none :(

25. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

It would be nice if someone from Sam Adams would clear this shit up....I've been told in my neck of the woods (northern MN) it will no longer be available....now if that is because no one is buying it here except me I am cool with that but they made it sounds like it just wasn't available...

26. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

For what it's worth, I haven't seen it here in my area for at least a month ...

27. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

easy to find in sf bay area

28. I love Noble Pils and haven't had it in ages (I'm in CT). Since it was mentioned in this thread, I do bring home a case of Sly Fox Pils every time I visit my sister, who lives ten minutes from their Pottstown PA location. Now that's a great brew.

29. I've seen this recently, but I need to double check. Haven't noticed it in a few weeks, but then again haven't really looked. Really like this stuff, hope it continues to be distributed to my area.

30. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (360) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

I see it at Publix in Tuscaloosa whenever I go there.

31. bubseymour

Fast forward to October 29 and still haven't seen Noble Pils in Frederick County Maryland stores. I just went east last weekend and stopped in a liquor store just over the county line in Taylorsville in Carroll County and there it was in 6 packs (and still fresh). WTF...why would our random county in MD not get distribution of Noble Pils? Makes no sense to me. Also I still have never seen the IPL in Frederick County but picked some up on MD eastern shore. Our county is getting weird distribution of Sam Adams it seems.

32. rc51sport

rc51sport Savant (425) Florida Feb 25, 2013

Saw 5 left in a sixer at ABC in Venice about a month ago, they were already 8 months old, if anybody wants them...

33. Who cares when you can get Victory Prima Pils ;) Sam Adams has a nasty habit of over carbonating their beers anyways...

34. bubseymour

I've lost the taste for Prima. Used to be my favorite but now I find it too bitter/not as refreshing. Weird because I have grown to love/tolerate even more now the 100+ IBU IPAs out there but the Prima Pils seems more bitter to me now. Not sure if Victory started hopping up more over last year vs. 2-3 years ago or its my taste buds changing.

35. Beric

Beric Savant (430) Massachusetts Jun 1, 2013

I think that pilsners finish drier than 100+ IBU IPAs and whatnot. Prima Pils certainly has a very dry finish, but that's part of what makes it a great, hoppy pilsener. It could be a difference between the amount of flavoring hops vs. bittering hops used in Prima Pils compared to IPAs, or a difference between lager and ale yeast and how they influence hoppiness. I'm not a brewer so I won't conjecture anything there.

36. Prima and Noble are my two favorite pils, with the Crisp right behind.

37. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

I feel like something has changed with that beer over the years as well. It was never my favorite Pils but it just seems to be so..."flowery" now, and it reminds me of chewing on some dandelions or something. I know a lot of people love it and I definitely do enjoy one or two from time to time but it is not my favorite Pils by a long shot.

Noble Pils seems to be coming back around in my area thankfully, and I have been seeing it often again lately. But then again maybe this is what SA is intending because even though it is a year round beer now, it was a late winter brew when it first came out if memory serves me correctly so maybe they are doing something similar again and pushing it as more of a winter beer? Who knows. Well needless to say, I grabbed a 6-pack and enjoyed one with dinner.

I would love to see SA can this beer! :)

rc51sport likes this.
  38. bubseymour

So I found the scoop last night. Stopped in my local liquor store and we ended up calling the distributor to find out. The Sam Adams distributor to Frederick County MD, operates out of Hagerstown in Washington County MD and they cover Western Maryland. Carroll County (just east of Frederick County) gets distribution out of Baltimore I believe. So our distributor said on phone last night that it's due to demographics/sales as to why SA isn't distributing Noble Pils nor the Sam Adams IPL in our distribution region. Frederick is fairly cosmopolitan overall but counties and areas further west in Maryland are more "BMC" mountain country so unfortunately we're grouped in distribution with the hillbilly region. That is the answer we got last night. Although I love noble Pils, there are plenty of other great pilners offerred in my area that are similar.

39. sam adams and anchor
    without them this would not be happening.

40. ziggyzoggy

ziggyzoggy Savant (250) Ohio Apr 30, 2013

Bought some Noble Pils last night at Kroger. They had plenty of it, along with Latitude 48, Double Agent, Octoberfest, and Whitewater.