1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Which Beers with Fondue?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Prospero, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Having a fondue night tonight (8 people total) and we're having:

1) traditional cheese fondue (Emmenthal & Gruyere)
    2) beef, chicken & shrimp cooked in broth for the main course
    3) chocolate fondue for dessert

I'm looking for types of beers to pair with each course.

I'm thinking 3F Golden Blend, Cantillon Rose' for cheeses, Black Note & Peche Mortel or maybe Cuir for main course, Belgian Red & Choklat for dessert.

Other beers in my cellar:
    http://goo.gl/AIJny

Thanks BA!

2. If you can get your hands on a Mikeller Nelson Sauvin Brut, it mimics many aspects of Sauvignon Blanc, the varietal of the barrels it was aged in. Makes a terrific pair for cheese fondue and raclette service. I think your dessert choice is good except for the Choklat - it will completely disappear with the choco-fondue because it tastes exactly like it - really. I think fruit beer or coffee beers would be better for contrast. As for the meat fondue - dunno...I never make it.

3. Prospero

Cool thanks. Had Choklat last year with dessert and we all actually enjoyed it, so thought I'd do it again. But maybe I'll do the Peche Mortel with dessert and do the Cuir or Mother of all Storms with main course.

4. Pair the Peche with dessert, definitely, and have a Cuir with the main.

5. Prospero

Thanks, ended up drinking a lot more than originally planned, but not a bad thing. The Belgian Red was simply amazing with the chocolate fondue.

[​IMG]

Ended up saving the Cuir