1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Which BJCP should I use

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by timmick, Feb 24, 2012.

1. timmick

timmick Aficionado (120) Oregon Feb 26, 2011

I'd like to enter an IPA in an upcoming competition, but I'm not sure which style to use. It is an American IPA with heavy citrus aroma and flavor (lots of citra and cascade). But, this citrusy aroma and flavor is enhanced with crushed coriander seed. Should I use 14B (American IPA) or 21A (Spice, Herb, Veggie)? The last time I entered a vanilla porter in 21A, they dinged me because of the faint vanilla aroma and flavor. I think the coriander is fairly faint, but it can be detected... what do you think?

2. Hogie

Hogie Aficionado (130) Michigan Mar 19, 2008

It really depends on how noticeable the coriander is. Enter it in both categories and see what happens.

organicbrewer likes this.
  3. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

4. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I think they will ding you for both. If you want to do well in compitition you need to be in the style guidlines. If your looking for input from a judge enter it in either and see how it goes.

5. I would enter it in both. I have done that before, and it was well recieved in both catagories. Neither score sheet made any mention of the beer being "out of style".

6. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

14B, unless it is distinctively a corriander tasting beer.

7. honkey

honkey Savant (260) Alabama Aug 28, 2010

Enter it in both, but don't expect to score well. Use it as an evaluation tool, not as a competitive beer. You could get great feedback and score mediocrely in both, but feedback is more valuable than numbers are.

8. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Just in the nick of time! (Note the OP date.) :)

9. honkey

honkey Savant (260) Alabama Aug 28, 2010

Ha! Weird... I have this forum link saved on my computer. I never navigate past the first page. Sorry.

10. I'd say 23 Experimental & use 14B as the base.