1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Which brewing company has the best packaging design?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ohio_Stevo, Feb 5, 2013.

1. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

i agree three floyds pretty much makes everyone else look bad.

jman005 likes this.
  2. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

this thread leads to the obvious alternate thread.. worst package design.. (i'm sure both of these have been done before but hey)

for me personally the beer always comes first, but i do appreciate good design. if the two go together it's perfect.
    personally i think Firestone's labels are pretty generic, but they have some of the best beer out there. definitely not worst.

my pick for best beer with worst labeling is Ballast Point. sorry. i'll probably get shit for this, and their are exceptions (Victory at Sea is pretty cool), but their design is... not my favorite

3. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

4. At the risk of sounding like a complete hater, as someone who's trying to get more into beer label design (have done a very little) I sometimes find threads like this a little discouraging... So often so many mentions that I just completely disagree with. I realize there's always going to be some personal taste involved, but I sometimes see things posted that I consider some of the worst. That being said, I'm sure some people would feel the same way about some of my favorites or some of the stuff I've been working on.

There are definitely some picks I agree with in this thread, though. To mention some that others haven't...

Bad beers, but Ballistic Brewing's labels/holders are nice, if not a little generic at this point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almanac's are wonderful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like Hangar 24's new look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Possibly my very favorite.
    [​IMG]

And some other good stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Don't expect that to last long. They're very clearly on the upswing, as most breweries are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Avery is a favorite. FFF, DFH, Oskar Blues

7. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

that's another exception. i love that label! actually one of the few beers i kept the bottle just because it was so unusual

8. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

Gotta give some props to flying dog for the fantastic art.

Although their beer is hit and miss with me, I cannot recommend enough this year's batch of Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout.

Also need to recognize 21st Amendment for their cans and packaging.

Terrapin designs some great labels as well.

jrbchef likes this.
  9. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Yet another graphic designer here. I'm glad to see that some of my favorites are getting some love: Odell, Great Divide, Sixpoint, Hilliards, North Peak, and the recent redesigns for Uinta and Ommegang. I also like some of the labels for the Deschutes Reserve Series, especially The Dissident (one of my all-time favorites). And I can only wish that The Stoic had turned out to be as good as the label.

Other good ones:

Crooked Stave Batch No. 1:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25191/84159/?ba=RuckusDu

Perennial's labels are hit-and-miss, but Abraxas and Black Walnut Dunkelweisse are terrific:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25888/76393
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25888/75797

B√łgedal series:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18346/64025

Red Brick core brand redesign by 22Squared:
    http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2010/6/21/red-brick-beer.html

The HUB Belgian Ale series by Jolby & Friends:
    http://jolbyandfriends.com/work/project/hopworks-belgian-ales/

Almanac beers (meh beer, great labels):
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24940/78063

Links for design geeks:

TBD Advertising (packaging designs for Odell, Deschutes, and 21st Amendment):
    http://www.tbdadvertising.com/

Tenfold Collective (identity/package design for Uinta and Grimm Bros.):
    http://www.tenfoldcollective.com/

10. Lucifer, Piraat

11. Hopsecutioner is pretty cool!

12. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Favorite is Bruery - timeless and elegant

sacrelicio and stealth like this.
  13. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I've always loved the look of RR's and The Bruery's packaging. Revolution brewing has some cool labeling, also.

14. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

vurt likes this.
  15. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Those New Glarus R&D labels are incredible.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  16. The lost abbey, delirium tremens and nocturnam ( sucker for pink elephants i guess!), the lucky Buddha beer has a pretty sweet shaped bottle!

17. Pipeworks' first post with the Ninja vs Unicorn displayed and I knew I was going to like their style.
    [​IMG]

18. See, I'd put them pretty much at the very bottom of the barrel. Both in design and names (and especially that beer in particular). Right there with Clown Shoes. Both make great beer and they don't have to take themselves seriously all the time or anything, but they're just so bad.

19. Nah.

20. I love the Midnight Sun's labels:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

sacrelicio likes this.
  21. Almost none of those do anything for me except the dissident label. I'm much more musically-oriented than visually-oriented, but I'm not visually retarded. As you succinctly pointed out, personal taste is involved. Most of those aren't to my taste.

4kbrianb likes this.
  22. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

Russian River no contest... Everyone loves comic sans ;)
    [​IMG]

23. Unibroue. Fantastic labels and the beer is even better. Highly recommend Maudite if you come across it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

docnose, weonfire, Pando and 2 others like this.
  24. Jester King has a really nice label.

25. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 25, 2008

I think Russian River wins the award for the biggest discrepancy between the quality of the beer and the quality of the packaging.

matedog likes this.
  26. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

I really like the uniformity in labels that keep the same design but add suttle art changes or colors like hill farmstead, the crooked stave wwb series, the bourbon county line and the regular dogfish head line. Plus I like the look and feel of paper labels.

27. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

28. Im a big fan of Ralph Steadmans art for Flying Dog with Gonza being my favorite

[​IMG]

And Bruerys nice. Classy and sophisticated. I even enjoy the material they print their labels on. that smooth, glossy lable is nice

29. damn, that's sexy! hope this is the new overall label design for their beers.

baconman91 likes this.
  30. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

Mystic Brewing from Cambridge, MA.... I don't love their beer because it is mostly saisons, but what amazing bottles.

31. The Hill Farmstead logos are nearly iconic now.

sacrelicio likes this.
  32. Ohio_Stevo

Ohio_Stevo Zealot (80) Feb 1, 2013

Really interesting to see everybody's perspective on design. Of course the beer taste is important! Thanks everyone!

33. This thread is great because I have found some good beers I didn't even know about! Some even taste good too i bet hha. I remember when I was younger I walked in to bevmo and bought bottles pretty much just based on the bottle design.... needless to say most of them tasted like crap. but I trust you guys!

more importantly.... who makes these magnificent beers!? Does that say East End? please tell me they taste amazing also![quote="

Possibly my very favorite.
    [​IMG]

[/quote]

34. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I am a sucker for Goose Island labels.

35. bahnfire

bahnfire Savant (490) Vermont Jan 17, 2011

Perhaps it is because I love all things HF, but I think their labels are top notch. Clean and elegant.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

My opinion is that a label also has to be somewhat functional. I find it annoying to see a label that doesn't immediately identify the brewery or the product. Not that I don't like the art, I just think the functionality needs to be kept in mind. Yes - you get familiar with label styles over time, but it can get confusing sometimes since some of the art is pretty similar. I don't personally care for Flying Dog's art (or the beer) but there's no doubt which products are theirs. HF logo was mentioned as approaching the icon status. So's the dogfish and others. Creates the clear connection with the customer.

I think Clown Shoes does a good job blending art with function, as does Lost Abbey. I am a blatantly biased MA resident, so I will also cast a vote for Jack's Abby as having attractive, simple, clean, clear labels with an icon in waiting. The new Ommegang labels, while some people don't like them, create a unified look for Ommegang across all the "flavors" that might help them stand out a little.

37. matedog

matedog Aficionado (185) California Jan 25, 2010

I always thought the Bruery labels were quite nice.
    [​IMG]

4kbrianb likes this.
  38. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

Stone
    Unibroue
    Sierra Nevada
    ..Anchor Brewing's are pretty cool too
    ---- "Pliny the Elder's" label is Sweet !

39. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

- that's a one of my Fav Porters too.

40. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012