1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Which British 2-row for a barleywine?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by SiflandOlly, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I have a recipe I want to brew next but it just says to use "Pale Malt (2-Row) Great Britain". Would Maris Otter work well here or is there a different, more specific pale malt you'd use? Thanks!
  2. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

I've had tremendous success with Maris Otter as a base malt for English Barleywines. It is a fairly typical choice.
  3. Crisp Maris Otter. Thomas Fawcett MO is also good. Don't dismiss TF Golden Promise, that is a nice malt.
  4. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I like the Marris Otter also. I am starting to grow fond of Golden Promise!
  5. Thanks for the responses so far! From what I've read it sounds like MO is nuttier where GP has a bit more sweetness, would you say that's accurate?
  6. Can you expound on the Crisp > Thomas Fawcett? I've used both and like both, but honestly couldn't tell you any difference since I never did any side by sides of the same beer. I was under them impression TF was better because of their more limited output. Mistaken? I know one of them did have a bit of protein haze.
  7. Crisp has always been a favorite, and many of the brewers I know like it. The TF may be equivalent. If I could find a bag of Warminster MO I would get that, as it is kilned to about 4.5L.
    Pegli and sergeantstogie like this.
  8. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Call me intrigued as well, I have always heard of the preferance to TF&S...but I shop at Midwest and they only have Crisp which I have always enjoyed.

For the OP: Golden Promise is probably my favorite base malt for any and all English and American ales. But Maris Otter would be great as well as any of the other flood malted barleys (Halcyon, Optic and Pearl)
    DubbelMan likes this.
  9. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

I've been using Gleneagles Maris Otter Malt, I really like it.
  10. My only barleywine (thus far) was 50/50 MO & Canadian 2-Row with a healthy dose of British crystal malts (maybe 10%) & is drinking wonderfully after 2 years still... Do not discount the importance of british crystal malts in a beer like this, I firmly believe they lend a greater dried fruit character at the higher lovibond end.
  11. It kinda depends on the kilning. I find the darker kilned pale ale malts to taste fairly similar, while the paler kilned ones have their own flavor. The golden promise that I've used has been regular pale malt color at 1.5-2L while maris otter tends to be more common in a pale ale kiln level at 3.5-4L, hence the "nuttier" flavor.
  12. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Northern Brewer carries the Warminster Floor Malted Marris, when I tried it out, it almost tasted like a peanut butter cookie to me, very different, whereas the Fawcett and Crisp were a little sweeter, cleaner and very biscuity.
    sergeantstogie likes this.
  13. I bought enough Warminster MO for an Ordinary Bitter, and liked how that tuned out. Warminster actually owns the MO cultivar now, if you believe some stuff on the internet.

Will use up the unopened bag of Crisp MO before I seek out more.
  14. Simpsons GP is the one 1.5-2L and TF GP is around 3L. I like the Simpsons for the sweet-malty taste.
  15. I really like the paler UK base malts. Muntons just sent us a sample pack with pearl, optic, and MO all at 2L color and they all tasted amazing.
  16. Had some summer ales with low color MO, 2L, last time in London, Good stuff!
  17. ryane

ryane Savant (320) Washington Nov 21, 2007

I always liked the maltsers of MO in this order

Muntons > Crisp > TF
  18. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

I've found that even when using the TFGP as base for a saison that went from 1.053 to 1.001, there is still a sweet, round malt flavor.

Man, I love buying sacks of it.
  19. yinzer

Where do you get TFGP? I can't seem to find any on-line. I'm a bit surprised how some sites don't list the maltster and/or ° L.
  20. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Mostly, I've used Crisp Maris Otter. Once I was sent Glen Eagles Floor Malted Maris Otter by mistake. Also very nice, but I no longer see it stocked, at Midwest Supplies, anyhow. Last time I picked up some malt I was looking for Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise to make a "golden bitter." All gold: Golden Promise, Golden Naked Oats, Whitbread Goldings hops. But they were out of Golden Promise. Step in the workhorse, Crisp Maris Otter. The beer is in the fermenter but I did grab a sample a day ago and even without the TFGP, it is promising.
  21. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Keystone Homebrew Supply in Montgomeryville. Don't know if they'll ship.
  22. yinzer

Well I've picked up hard-to-get Five Star cleaners in Chambersburg PA, yeast in Princeton NJ, malt seems like the next logical choice. Thanks!!!