1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Which closed brewery did you wish was still around?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by canucklehead, Oct 19, 2012.

1. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

Yes, the Vin de Cereale is lovely, can't speak to the otherwise unobtainable Foederbier, but surely you know I'm talking about their primary line Classic proper, and Grand Cru, too.

And trading up the Alexander for the Redbach is just criminal...

afrokaze likes this.
  2. Bert Grant & all of his great beers. He redefined many of the styles that are now mainstays of craft brewing. Perhaps the first IPA & RIS done American style back on the mid 80's. Great examples of those styles (at least in my memory).

3. wlaschober

wlaschober Disciple (65) Indiana Oct 2, 2011

Log Jam Brewery in Tomahawk, Wi. Missed dearly!

4. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Shut up. :)

mintjellie and afrokaze like this.
  5. That's true about the Cream Stout- I really liked that one, but the ubiquitous Red Barrel never really did it for me.

I'll also add Young's Ram Brewery- Old Nick, Ramrod and their Oatmeal Stout were reliable and tasty. I just loved their yeast profile in everything they made.

Ravenacht likes this.
  6. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Never cared for Alexander. I always thought that classic Rodenbach fell between two stools: a beer that was trying to have mass appeal and be quite traditional at the same time.

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

If you knew how Watneys Cream Stout was brewed you might not be so keen. Mostly pasteurised ullage with loads of caramel and sugar.

8. Agreed. Their Pozharnik Imperial Stout was delicious and an excellent value!

jaxon53 and mkabull like this.
  9. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (320) Maine Feb 23, 2012

Stone Coast in Portland, ME. Their 1260 was awesome.
    Castle In The Clouds in NH. Ye Olde Chucklehead barleywine was the best.

10. I recall Rhino Chasers having some pretty good beers, but maybe my memory is fading with age.

11. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

+1. I never knew of them but found a bottle of Pompier, St.Florian, Big O, and Rustwagen on a beer scavenging run last year. Loved all four of them. Sad I can't get any more.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  12. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Falstaff in St Louis.

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. Oasis in Boulder CO. I cut my craft beer teeth at that place.

14. csurowiec

csurowiec Savant (325) Maryland Mar 7, 2010

DeGroens in Baltimore. Their beers were well loved by me and I was sorry to see it go.

15. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I have to throw in another vote for Grants. Also Hawks Brewing in Oregon. Killer oatmeal stout, a solid IPA, and the Sweet Amber was one of the best malt liquors I've ever had.

16. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

You ever drink a warm Bud light? that is was what i thought all beer tasted like until i discovered a keg of Watney's at a party. Epiphany for sure.

Cheers

17. Another vote for Bert Grant and his whole lineup. New Albion will always be a fond memory. Palo Alto Brewing Co. London Real Ale and River City Brewing Bock were favorites many moons ago...

18. Alkohollokaust

Alkohollokaust Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2012

19. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

So true. I really miss Shut the Hell Up (among other things).

20. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Hands down for me is Young & Co. Brewery PLC, before the merger w/Wells. Such a shame and a loss, truly miss the styles that I cut my teeth on in my early 20's i.e. Young's Oatmeal Stout, Old Nick, RamRod...now the only thing I seem to find in the NE Ohio area is the Young's Double Chocolate Stout, just can't seem to get with it.

21. The original Pete's ( not what it became after he sold it) I loved the original Winter brew.

22. Eldridge Pope & Co. PLC

23. Definitely Heavyweight. They were doing things ahead of their time. Last I heard, they were still brewing but only here and there for particular restaurants like Fette Sau in Brooklyn, NY. They did for awhile though. Doubt they are still doing that. The brewer just wanted to retire I believe.

24. Tom Baker and Peggy Zwerver, owners of Heavyweight, opened Earth Bread + Brewery in Philadelphia in 2008.

25. reviticus

reviticus Aficionado (110) Sep 26, 2012

thought about this a couple times today.....Pete's Wicked Ale

26. Awesome. Definitely need to check that out. Spoke to them at a Beer Festival and they were telling me they were tired of the "circuit" they were caught in trying to do all these festivals and promoting the beer. Very happy they are still around.

27. eajb24

eajb24 Aficionado (165) Connecticut May 26, 2005

Hammer and Nail out of Watertown CT

28. bbfcfm11

bbfcfm11 Aspirant (30) Connecticut Feb 12, 2012

I 2nd Hammer & Nail...only ever around when I was a youngin but that didn't deter...

29. Skoallrebel

Skoallrebel Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012

Buckbean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

This. Loved me some Wild Child and the wings.

31. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

Living in the Pacific NW, I have unfortunately seen many breweries come and go. A list of some of my old favs are:

Grants (mandarin hef, porter)
    Saxon/Nor'Wester/Portland Brewing (Benchmark Olde Ale)
    Pacific Rim (Driftwood, Ring of Fire)
    Roots Organic Brewing (Epic Ale!)

32. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

How I miss the Ram Brewery in London. I've been fortunate to have taken many vacations to England with more to come and I always loved my pilgrimmage to Young's. It's been so painful that only once since 06 have I even went back to that area. The Brewery Tap was wonderful and the late Mr. Young himself personally responded to me after I complimented his beers, staff, and taproom. The building is still there and protected, they were supposed to reopen the taproom. Sadly it has not happened and I wonder if it ever will.

33. Pacific Crest Brewing n Tukwilla, WA

RIP.