1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Which closed brewery did you wish was still around?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by canucklehead, Oct 19, 2012.

1. slander

slander BA Site Editor Staff Member

Yes, the Vin de Cereale is lovely, can't speak to the otherwise unobtainable Foederbier, but surely you know I'm talking about their primary line Classic proper, and Grand Cru, too.

And trading up the Alexander for the Redbach is just criminal...
    afrokaze likes this.
  2. mklinger

mklinger Member

Bert Grant & all of his great beers. He redefined many of the styles that are now mainstays of craft brewing. Perhaps the first IPA & RIS done American style back on the mid 80's. Great examples of those styles (at least in my memory).
  3. wlaschober

wlaschober Member

Log Jam Brewery in Tomahawk, Wi. Missed dearly!
  4. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Member

Shut up. :)
    mintjellie and afrokaze like this.
  5. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

That's true about the Cream Stout- I really liked that one, but the ubiquitous Red Barrel never really did it for me.

I'll also add Young's Ram Brewery- Old Nick, Ramrod and their Oatmeal Stout were reliable and tasty. I just loved their yeast profile in everything they made.
    Ravenacht likes this.
  6. patto1ro

patto1ro Member

Never cared for Alexander. I always thought that classic Rodenbach fell between two stools: a beer that was trying to have mass appeal and be quite traditional at the same time.
  7. patto1ro

patto1ro Member

If you knew how Watneys Cream Stout was brewed you might not be so keen. Mostly pasteurised ullage with loads of caramel and sugar.
  8. PatBrad

PatBrad Member

Agreed. Their Pozharnik Imperial Stout was delicious and an excellent value!
    jaxon53 and mkabull like this.
  9. valdieu2

valdieu2 Member

Stone Coast in Portland, ME. Their 1260 was awesome.
    Castle In The Clouds in NH. Ye Olde Chucklehead barleywine was the best.
  10. JJSmash

JJSmash Member

I recall Rhino Chasers having some pretty good beers, but maybe my memory is fading with age.
  11. RDMII

RDMII Member

+1. I never knew of them but found a bottle of Pompier, St.Florian, Big O, and Rustwagen on a beer scavenging run last year. Loved all four of them. Sad I can't get any more.
    FrankLloydMike likes this.
  12. kingofhop

kingofhop Member

Falstaff in St Louis.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  13. yummybeer

yummybeer Member

Oasis in Boulder CO. I cut my craft beer teeth at that place.
  14. csurowiec

csurowiec Member

DeGroens in Baltimore. Their beers were well loved by me and I was sorry to see it go.
  15. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Member

I have to throw in another vote for Grants. Also Hawks Brewing in Oregon. Killer oatmeal stout, a solid IPA, and the Sweet Amber was one of the best malt liquors I've ever had.
  16. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Member

You ever drink a warm Bud light? that is was what i thought all beer tasted like until i discovered a keg of Watney's at a party. Epiphany for sure.

Cheers
  17. Seanvino

Seanvino Member

Another vote for Bert Grant and his whole lineup. New Albion will always be a fond memory. Palo Alto Brewing Co. London Real Ale and River City Brewing Bock were favorites many moons ago...
  18. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Member

So true. I really miss Shut the Hell Up (among other things).
  19. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Member

Hands down for me is Young & Co. Brewery PLC, before the merger w/Wells. Such a shame and a loss, truly miss the styles that I cut my teeth on in my early 20's i.e. Young's Oatmeal Stout, Old Nick, RamRod...now the only thing I seem to find in the NE Ohio area is the Young's Double Chocolate Stout, just can't seem to get with it.
  20. khall62

khall62 Member

The original Pete's ( not what it became after he sold it) I loved the original Winter brew.
  21. andylipp

andylipp Member

Eldridge Pope & Co. PLC
  22. blatantdream

blatantdream Member

Definitely Heavyweight. They were doing things ahead of their time. Last I heard, they were still brewing but only here and there for particular restaurants like Fette Sau in Brooklyn, NY. They did for awhile though. Doubt they are still doing that. The brewer just wanted to retire I believe.
  23. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Tom Baker and Peggy Zwerver, owners of Heavyweight, opened Earth Bread + Brewery in Philadelphia in 2008.
  24. reviticus

reviticus Member

thought about this a couple times today.....Pete's Wicked Ale
  25. blatantdream

blatantdream Member

Awesome. Definitely need to check that out. Spoke to them at a Beer Festival and they were telling me they were tired of the "circuit" they were caught in trying to do all these festivals and promoting the beer. Very happy they are still around.
  26. eajb24

eajb24 Member

Hammer and Nail out of Watertown CT
  27. bbfcfm11

bbfcfm11 Member

I 2nd Hammer & Nail...only ever around when I was a youngin but that didn't deter...
  28. Skoallrebel

Skoallrebel Member

29. dunix

dunix Member

This. Loved me some Wild Child and the wings.
  30. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Member

Living in the Pacific NW, I have unfortunately seen many breweries come and go. A list of some of my old favs are:

Grants (mandarin hef, porter)
    Saxon/Nor'Wester/Portland Brewing (Benchmark Olde Ale)
    Pacific Rim (Driftwood, Ring of Fire)
    Roots Organic Brewing (Epic Ale!)
  31. Mark

Mark Member

How I miss the Ram Brewery in London. I've been fortunate to have taken many vacations to England with more to come and I always loved my pilgrimmage to Young's. It's been so painful that only once since 06 have I even went back to that area. The Brewery Tap was wonderful and the late Mr. Young himself personally responded to me after I complimented his beers, staff, and taproom. The building is still there and protected, they were supposed to reopen the taproom. Sadly it has not happened and I wonder if it ever will.
  32. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Member

Pacific Crest Brewing n Tukwilla, WA

RIP.