1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Which craft breweries need to shrink?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by otispdriftwood, Dec 6, 2012.

1. We've all seen the threads about this brewery needs to expand or that brewery needs to add states to its distribution. Now it's time for the polar opposite. Read the title - no BMC breweries [because they ALL need to shrink.]

I'll start with Rogue.
  2. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

None of them.

Also, Rogue doesn't need to shrink. It just needs to stop brewing stupid fucking beer.
  3. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Alpine. I want it to go back to where dipshit bottleshops from the Bay Area weren't sending mules down to clean them out.
  4. dogfish head. I'll probably get mulled for saying that..
  5. You mean you don't care for a beer brewed with pages from a novel?
  6. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Oh man, so many to choose from.
    Go to local craft beer store. Close eyes... Point. Chances are pretty good you will hit one that makes mediocre beer and needs to shrink. There are plenty of good ones... But more not so good ones.
    kjkinsey, beerepiphany and Horbar like this.
  7. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I'd rather have a 6th barrel of anything White Birch or Indian Wells.
    davey101 and pschul4 like this.
  8. I agree. I don't want anyone to shrink (although I wouldn't mind seeing BMC's market share shrink), but it seems like Rogue is getting a bit silly. There is a bit of a trend among homebrewers to identify something they like in the food world and try to throw it in beer, with a very limited success rate. It kind of seems like Rogue is doing something similar. I'm all for experimentation, but if no one has put pickled cauliflower or crushed up butterfinger bars into beer before, it's unlikely that it's going to be good.
  9. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Lol.
  10. Indian Wells is one I could get behind, taking up valuable craft beer space at Whole Foods.

Same with the garbage Bevmo house beers, Hermitage, Coastal Fog, etc.
    Also, Bayhawk and all their contract beers can go away.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

So this is basically a "what brewery do you dislike" thread?
  12. I came into this topic to post the exact same thing. Between the TV show and mass distribution, I think the expansion has gotten to their heads. Some of their beers are just ridiculous nowadays...
  13. It seems odd that a well established brewer like Alpine couldn't rustle up $3 million last year from private investors for expansion but there are literally dozens of start-ups flooding the Southern California market right now with money from somewhere.
  14. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

Hit that one on the head...
    RobertColianni likes this.
  15. why would you want any brewery to "shrink"? i would like to hear some well constructed arguments for this that are not selfish or based on "i dont like them." something strong enough to justify financial failure and hardship on the employees and their families.
  16. 1. Expanded brewery skimps on ingredients, product suffers. "The beer sucks but there sure is a lot of it".
    2. Expanded brewery takes up more shelf space resulting in less shelf space for other quality brews.
    3. Expanded brewery takes on too much debt, collapses under financial pressures causing hardships to vendors, lenders, partners, etc.
    Naterobsnyk4 likes this.
  17. Exactly my thoughts.
  18. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

That sums it up right there. NO breweries should shrink
  19. Or 'beard yeast'...
  20. Sounds semi negative so the way I'll look at it is what needs to shrink because of freshness issues. To me it ALWAYS seems hoppy stuff from Founders and Ballast Point are out of date. So it would be nice for some breweries to cut their distro on some hoppy beers.
  21. Not to mention....yeah I forgot about that one. Thanx a bunch.
  22. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

Any brewery that sells less beer than it produces should probably shrink. Any brewery that sells out of its beer before it's even brewed should probably expand. It depends on where they want the business to go. *shrug*
  23. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

The Alchemist... They ship to Burlington, South Burlington, Winooski, Richmond, Shelburne, Stowe, Waterbury, Montpelier, Warren, and Waitsfield... They've seriously outstepped their boundaries! :rolleyes:

Do you sense any acrimony in that statement? I hope not... It was only sarcasm... :p
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  24. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

All of these pseudo craft beers contract brewed by the same breweries under different names that are taking away legit shelf space in supermarkets. that's where the most impact is made at retail and I hate seeing stuff by Double Take, Coastal Fog, Tied House, et al in place of good local beer.
    CapeCodBeer and zappafrank like this.
  25. Skoallrebel

Skoallrebel Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012

Inbev, MillerCoors and Heineken International. They want a monopoly. They want the entire world beer market all to themselves.
    zappafrank likes this.
  26. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

How about a better question: what brewery would you like to see experience more turn over of stock on the shelves?

Because I love Dogfish, Stone, and Lagunitas, but despite there being SHITLOADS of it on the shelf in my local market, I can hardly ever find their stuff particularly fresh. If they sell so much, why doesn't it move faster?
    BigCheese, Holland and Bitter_Echo like this.
  27. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

And before anyone says "well maybe you should buy more of it" the fact of the matter is I'd rather spend my money on something I feel is fresher or newer (i.e., seasonal releases and such) than on two-and-a-half-month-old Stone IPA, DFH 60 Minute, or Lagunitas IPA.
    Bitter_Echo likes this.
  28. No offense, that almost sounds like AB/InBev . . . ;)
  29. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Aficionado (215) Kansas Mar 6, 2010

None. Supply and demand will shrink those that need shrank and grow those that need to grow. The economy's natural selection.
    mcmeador and Higy like this.
  30. Dogfish Head needs to just go away. The only thing that interests me is when BA goes there to brew...like this morning.
  31. Whats wrong with DFH. Besides your opinoin..?

and rogue is overpriced. thats all.
  32. GeckoPunk

I second this quote.
    Please elucidate the reasoning behind your assertion...
  33. Westvleteren. Darn greedy monks selling beer by the case. What's this world coming to?
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  34. GeckoPunk

Haha... I'm remember this the next time I buy a case of Westvleteren to save a single just for you. ;)
  35. To pave the way for basic pale ales and one dimensional IPAs.
  36. Their bogus price tags for experimental beer that sucks, their pretentious nature, their lack of commitment to their original powerhouse brews in order to make room for these hippy juice beers, need I go on?
  37. Who buys the dumb ass DFH releases? not me and hopefully not you. There is a thin line between novelty and absurdity that DFH walks. They have about a dozen killer ales to try before you venture into the unknown..
    fmccormi likes this.
  38. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

DFH does ridiculous things, but at least they haven't brewed a beard ale or anything with paper in it. I still love them.

Breweries that need to shrink, first thing that comes to mind is Magic Hat. They just aren't that good and take up shelf space and make bars think they have a craft offering since they have Magic Hat No. 9 on tap.
    fauxpunker and RobertColianni like this.
  39. GeckoPunk

Granted, I don't always buy the "dumb ass DFH releases", however, I must ask.... Why is it that people homebrew? Is it mainly to buy "beer kits" that are designed to taste just like some other beer you've already had before? Sure... perhaps that's true, but you know what? Maybe there are people want to create something different, something they've never experienced before... Something that inspires real creativity and ingenuity.

I'd much rather a brewery instill a passion in devising innovative beers that motivate you to strive to construct your perfect beer. I can honestly say that even though I've had the pleasure of my "dozen killer ales", I have yet to formulate my own beer that nobody else has made, and is the pinnacle of my unique taste.

If you're one of those who aren't willing to cross the line and outstep your bounds, how will you ever know what exotic and remarkable brews you've never tasted?

This is why there are so many types of beer in the world. I honestly believe that each person has their own perspective of what the "perfect beer" is. Although you may not like all the "novelty and absurdity" beers DFH has to offer, you may just not have found your "perfect beer".

...And if you have, keep drinking whatever you've been conditioned to drink. There's no sense in knocking down a company who is willing to venture into something you're not comfortable with.

If it weren't for breweries like Dogfish Head, people would have never experimented with anything at all, may it be (hops, orange or lemon peel, coriander, nutmeg, chocolate, coffee, etc... and the list goes on.)
  40. jar66su

jar66su Aficionado (150) Virginia Dec 31, 2010

remember what #9 tasted like back around 2000? what happened?