1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Which craft breweries need to shrink?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by otispdriftwood, Dec 6, 2012.

1. dennis3951

dennis3951 Member

Magic hat is craft. A lot of posters seem to have a problem with that but it is craft.
  2. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Member

The only difference is when I screw up a recipe at home (and I don't buy kits), I don't try to sell it to the public with some new hipster name. DFH does.
    5thOhio likes this.
  3. Providence

Providence Member

Experimentation is what makes the industry what it is. Just think someone, "experimented" with hops once too. No need to hate on pushing the envelope.
  4. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Member

Oh snap. I thought WB was only taking up an inordinate amount of shelf space here in their home state. I've tried so many of their offerings - I really, really want to like them. Where's the "sad incredible Hulk walking away piano music?"
    Treebs and stayclean like this.
  5. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Member

But beard yeast?
  6. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

When did they do this? I only remember them dumping batches of 120, much to the general public's chagrin, because it wasn't up to their standards.

And watch where you throw around the "H" word. Them's fightin' words.
    GeckoPunk likes this.
  7. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Member

Haha exactly. Or the "this brewery is way overrated' thread. If you have a problem with a brewery a) don't drink there beer or b) check out some reviews of your peers before you pay a bunch of money for their beer and judge on that.

Also shrinking a brewery that has over priced beer... isn't going to help lol.
    fmccormi likes this.
  8. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

I haven't seen Indian Wells in a Whole Foods in a long time.
  9. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Member

And adjust their pricing.
  10. draimegould

draimegould Member

The obvious is GOOSE ISLAND.... may have already been said, but to lazy to look. The Bourbon County Stout of 2012 is garbage compared to the 2011, after of course the acquisition by AB.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Not according to Brewers Association's definition - it's now owned by NAB, an "...alcoholic beverage industry member who is not themselves a craft brewer" (see footnote for NAB on the B.A. Top 50 Overall Breweries - 2011 "(d) includes Dundee, Genesee, Labatt Lime, Magic Hat and Pyramid brands;")

In fact, with the recent sale of NAB to Cerveceria Costa Rica SA, they're no longer even US-owned.
  12. dennis3951

dennis3951 Member

I forgot about the ownnership rules, just thinking of the all malt flagship.
  13. dcbdc1

dcbdc1 Member

Haven't you seen Caligione's post here on BA from a couple of years ago? It's now "hip" to trash some of the original craft brewers (e.g., DFH) simply because they've become more available and regular people (and not simply BA trolls) have begun to enjoy them.

If you don't like DFH's experimental beers, don't buy them. I fail to see the worth (other than to satiate one's own desire to seem "hip" in the beer) to trash the entire brewery.
    Errto likes this.
  14. craigo19

craigo19 Member

+1 to Magic Hat! Their beer sucks and does nothing for me!
    RobertColianni likes this.
  15. 5thOhio

5thOhio Member

I would suggest that brewing styles neglected by the big beer companies for consumers who prefer those styles is what made the craft industry what it is.

I don't hate breweries that make those goofy concoctions, but I've never bought one and don't intend to. I'm kind of a Reinheitsgebot guy when it comes to beer.

I wonder what percentage of sales for craft companies comes from those weird beer concoctions versus the standard styles? Or is it just marketing to get people's attention?
    RobertColianni and jesskidden like this.
  16. TNGabe

TNGabe Member

Realy, you think these guys have been drinking beer that long?
  17. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Unfortunately, the flavored/spiced/fruit beers are pretty big - since many are "cross-over" type beers (MH #9, pumpkin ales, etc) that often appeal to macro drinkers looking for "something different".

The SIG numbers (off-premise, conv./grocery/drug) have "Seasonal" as the largest craft beer segment- so that generalized category includes many non-traditional type beers- spiced winter beers, pumpkin, lemon/lime/fruit/herb spring & summer beer, etc. They add up to 20% of all craft beer sales.

The best selling craft "beer" according to SIG is "Sam Adams Seasonal" (most/all are spiced/flavored, IIRC, save their Oktoberfest) - which taken together account for 7% of all craft beer sales. Of the actual brands in the Top 20 craft beers (not counting the "seasonal" or "variety packs") only Magic Hat #9 and SA Cherry Wheat are of the flavored variety.
  18. MN_Beerticker

MN_Beerticker Member

If a brewery makes crappy beers that nobody drinks then chances are they will shrink or close. Say it with your $. Obviously somebody is buying Maple Bacon beer.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Do you have an example of a beer they put out that they knew was bad but still did anyway? Or are you just referencing some beer they make that you don't like the taste of and assume it must not be what they intended?

DFH makes some beers I straight up hate, but I will try whatever they put out because I like tasting flavors in beer I've never tasted before. Some may not be my cup if tea, but some turn out to be different, delicious and interesting.
  20. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

Ditto. I'm a pro-experimentation guy. You never know what you're going to love. And c'mon, beer in general and stouts and hoppy beers in particular are just as an acquired taste, for most people, as coffee, tobacco, etc. Maybe they'll make something that you'll find yourself oddly drawn to later on.
  21. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

Sounds good. To be fair though, at no point was I trashing DFH. I have no problem with their experimentation (in fact, I commend them for it—it's not like they subbed out 60 minute this year with nothing but Ta Henket), and honestly I thought Sam had a good point. Seems like a lot of folks do shit on DFH somewhat unnecessarily.
  22. victory4me

victory4me Member

I'll never understand why it makes people so angry that other people like beers that they don't.
    Norica likes this.
  23. lurpy1

lurpy1 Member

Rogue doesn't need to shrink, it needs to simplify. They make so many effin beers it's impossible to do all of them, or even most of them well. If I go into a good MN liquor store I can find 4-6 Founders beers, 4-6 Surly beers, and 15 Rogues. Focus! They should worry more about improving the Dead Guy line and less about being the first to market with bacon cheeseburger beer.
  24. bleakies

bleakies Member

Hip can't mean "popular" or "trendy" because it's far more exclusive than populist in its assumption of rare/specialized/largely unknown knowledge. Sam Adams is popular. Hill Farmstead is hip. Dig?

But never mind the bollocks, here's the OP: I'd like to see Founders shrink sufficiently so I could keep it in my basement. That would facilitate my picking up their seasonals and limited releases quite nicely.
    dcbdc1 likes this.
  25. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

More for me...
    Jerome1929 likes this.
  26. bctdi

bctdi Member

I really don't want to see any craft breweries shrink, but if you nailed me down for an answer, I'd say Sam Adams. Almost all of their beers are good, some are great, but if they scaled back on the massive variety they make, and concentrated on maybe 5 or 6 stellar beers, I would buy more of it. Realisticly though , it would probably be financial suicide for them.
  27. sil1

sil1 Member

Rogue
    Dogfish head
    Stone
    Bear republic.

Quality really suffering
  28. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Member

I don't think BR should necessarily shrink but they need to send less beer to my market (probably others also), it's extremely rare that I get something from them that is fresh, most of the stuff is 3-4 months old, 2 if I'm lucky. If they sent less to my market it would sell faster and hopefully be replaced with fresher beers. Our area just recently got Racer X last week, it had a bottling date from early October iirc.
  29. sil1

sil1 Member

Good point
  30. sil1

sil1 Member

Not 100 on this but I think, stone distributes for bear republic.. Also Russian river, if u live in SoCal u know how unpredictable getting routine Russian river can be.
  31. aasher

aasher Member

Three Floyds
  32. FEUO

FEUO Member

Or any brewery that distributes. Pickup only, pppppppppppppplease!
  33. Gannon81

Gannon81 Member

Nailed it brother.
  34. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

Oh nooz!

Either be thankful you have the opportunity to buy it (like me 2 weeks ago here is SE PA) & stop worrying about how fresh it is or leave it on the shelf and buy another DIPA not quite as good but fresher.

Not trying to flame myself on purpose here...but Bear Republic is in CA and you're about 3000 miles away.
  35. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Member

I WISH we could get DFH in either MO (where I live now) or IL (where I used to live). In IL, the greedy buggers up in Chicago (distributors, I assume) now keep all the DFH allocation to the state in Chicagoland; we used to be able to get all their brews off the shelf throughout the state...no more. How can you hate on Dogfish? True, they do some whacky shit, but they are constantly pushing the envelope. Some hit. Some miss. Bad. But they have a solid lineup of 'regular'/seasonal brews as well.
  36. davey101

davey101 Member

No. Hes just incredibly dry all the time.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  37. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Member

DOWN WITH CAPITALISM! YEAH!
  38. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Member

I guess you completely missed the point of my post. Thanks for the info but I'm well aware of where CA is.
  39. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

Must have missed the IIRC you typed.

It was one of those days where I felt everyone on BA was bitching about one thing or another.
    My bad.
  40. bdub32689

bdub32689 Member

I would have to disagree that it has gone to their heads by the fact they have pulled out of several states. They have slowly expanded within their means. I would say that their year round and seasonal lineup is getting rather large and its seems that many of these experimental limited release beers are being added to the regular line up.

So I would agree they need to shrink or refocus in terms of their yearly lineup but not actual production