1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Which FiftyFifty Eclipse?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Thickfreakness, Jan 20, 2013.

1. If you could only get one of the recently released FiftyFifty Eclipse, which bottle would you grab and why?

1. Elijah Craig (purple)
    2. Evan Williams (black)
    3. Rittenhouse Rye (green)
    4. Mellow Corn (gold)
    5. Berheim Wheat (tan)
    6. Old Fitzgerald (blue)
  2. sweatervest27

sweatervest27 Savant (260) Ohio Oct 13, 2009

Number 1, on the sole basis of me liking purple.
    IMSPEAKNOENGLISH and vande like this.
  3. stuart3368

stuart3368 Savant (255) Colorado Jan 3, 2011

I couldn't decide on just one so I have purple, gold, and green at the house right now!
    BeerOps and Thickfreakness like this.
  4. 1 or 2, just love what EC and EW barrels does to a beer
    marine1975 likes this.
  5. I would go with the Elijah Craig 12 year. Last year I drank an EC18 and it was phenomenal. I imagine the EC12 would have to be good, and even if it's just a fraction as good as the EC18 was it would still be awesome.
  6. Old Fitzgerald because I haven't had one yet.
    But I wouldn't pay more than $23.
  7. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Aye, there's the rub. We've got the whole series here in CNY but they're running $27.99-30.99, from what I've seen. Kinda want to try these beers, but far too rich for my blood.
  8. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

The purple one. I got a chance to try them all at the release and while none were what I would consider "not good", the Elijah Craig barrel is just steps ahead of the rest. The best was obviously the Coffee one, but the EC isn't far behind. Both were better than the Pappy surprisingly
    Gatch likes this.
  9. That's the thing about Eclipse.
    Really good beer, too expensive in comparison to BCBS, Parabola, and BA B.O.R.I.S.
    Gatch likes this.
  10. $27.99 near me! Only two places with-in 50 miles got any.
    sil1 and fmccormi like this.
  11. Purple
    Black
    Blue
    Green

All very good though. Did they make it out to the shelves in NYC?
  12. It seems excessive to me when the cost of a beer aged in a whisky barrel is close to the same price as that whisky
    domtronzero, morimech, Nectar and 6 others like this.
  13. The Albany, NY area.
  14. They're all sitting on shelves in Chicago. People figured out its nowhere near a $30 a bottle beer.
    jdmandel, Rimbimhoot, pvllbum and 2 others like this.
  15. Don't bother. None are that impressive and are massively overpriced.
  16. I got one of each so this question is irrelevant.
  17. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Theyve been staring me in the face everytime i go to binnys, even though i can afford it i find it hard justifying spending 30 dollars on a bottle. 20 is reasonable but 30 is ridic.
    jdmandel and Thickfreakness like this.
  18. shogokawada said the same thing the other day.

so did i, and people jumped down my throat for it. (but i've been saying it for months.)

it's not a message people want to hear, but breaking the underlying whiskey's price point is an important psychological barrier.
  19. Honestly I'd try to trade for last years 18(20) yr Elijah Craig with white wax. Its the best I've had (have not had coffee or pvw)
  20. I would think that the beer aged in barrels, costs WAY more in the end than just the whiskey itself. Maybe I'm crazy, but I have a feeling that these companys have caught on and don't just give "old barrells" away.
  21. why? 99% of barrel-aged beer costs less than most good-quality whiskeys. are you suggesting barrel-aged beer is low-margin or even a loss leader? i find that extremely unlikely.

they aren't, but bourbon barrels can only be used once, by law. you can't call it bourbon if you reuse a barrel. so the used barrels have to be sold. i don't know the full economics going on; i imagine a lot of distilleries don't want beer piggybacking on the brand they've created, so i don't know how breweries get away with advertising, "now aged on pappy!!" quite brazenly. there may be some lawsuits over trademarks in the future.

i think the beer industry is largely cannibalizing resold barrels (way more breweries want barrels now than 4 years ago), in addition to the normal demand that existed from e.g. scotch distilleries (which often buy used bourbon barrels).
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  22. The only 50/50 Eclipse Ive had was a 2011 EC 20, and its one of the best beers Ive ever had in my life. So Id go with the purple I guess.
    funhog likes this.
  23. kaseydad

kaseydad Advocate (730) California Nov 23, 2008

Bernheim Wheat was awesome. Looking back I wish I would have stuck to this and bypassed the Rebel Yell and Old Fitz last year. The 09 Elijah Craig I had today was BOSS so I don't think you could go wrong with that anytime.
  24. old fitz and rittenhouse rye were the best when i had a flight with all of those minus mellow corn. i bought another bottle of both of those, don't think i'd get buy any of the others.
  25. You know this how?
  26. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

If you like rye whiskey definitely go for the Rittenhouse, it's excellent. If you don't prefer rye, get the EC or the EW. They are both fantastic.

Dope
    Thickfreakness likes this.

27. Where is cny?
  28. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

None, not sure why people buy this beer when there's so many more reasonably priced alternatives. Go pick up another 4-pack of BCBS if that's still around and you'll be much more satisfied.
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  29. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Central New York—Syracuse, Utica, etc.
  30. EC 12 and Rittenhouse have been my favs so far. Cheers!

31. The new charred american oak barrels required for Bourbon have a decent cost new but they charge a premium to beer makers. Because there are millions of barrels that need to go every year the big bourbon suppliers bulk sell them and those customers that buy small quantities (i.,e., beer makers) typically pay double the cost of what the barrel costs the whiskey supplier.

The big bourbon suppliers have finely tuned operations and of course, the cost of the liquid alone is far less than beer in the same barrel. If you look at a 750ml bottle of Jim or Evan it's roughly the price of many BB bombers even though the FET is significantly greater on spirits than beer. The raw materials cost more for beer makers because they don't have the same commodity bargaining power and they definately don't get the same bulk discounts and gigantic whiskey suppliers.
  32. I had the Bernheim Wheat this year and was pretty underwhelmed. My historical favorites are (in this order)

1. Brandy '11
    2. Evan Williams '10
    3. EC18 '11
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  33. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

You make some interesting points. To hear that Eclipse is still sitting on shelves in various locations is a bit surprising given its previous sales history. 5050 may have to up their game or reconsider price point.
  34. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Buy 2 bombers of Big Bad Baptist and be happy.
    HomeBrewed likes this.

35. know what how? the only statement in my post that wasn't qualified with "unlikely" or "i imagine" or "i don't know" or "i think" is bolded. it is a fact that, to be called bourbon, a spirit must be aged in new barrels.

this link covers what frequently happens to bourbon barrels after they are emptied. there has always been an aftermarket for bourbon barrels in the spirits industry. i don't have numbers, but i assume that the extra demand that craft breweries are adding to that list is only a drop in the bucket, and that prices for used barrels probably aren't going up all that much.

one reason i assume this is that bcbs, a pretty large-batch barrel-aged beer, has managed to keep a constant price for several years now. if their margins were being squeezed by increased cost of barrels on a widespread basis, gi would have increased prices to compensate, especially if they were trying to demonstrate financial viability to inbev in the year or two before the sale. i can certainly assume that they get the benefits of scale, but as a trend i don't think used barrels cost more now.

iow, i think the move to low-quality barrels in the fifty-fifty program is an effort to increase margins: source cheap-shit barrels and sell for higher prices.
  36. 3. Becuase I love Rye Whiskey
  37. I'm not sure if the barrels 50/50 uses are that much cheaper than the larger whiskey suppliers. Sure niche and uber craft bourbon makers (PvW) can go for a premium because their re-sale business is much like their liquid sales, low volume & specific. Beer suppliers make up such a trivial percentage of the used barrel sales for the larger guys that even though the margin is quadruple that of the normal re-sale it means nothing. Not until recently has Ops even started to explore this avenue.

Without giving specifics, a new charred american oak barrel is around $110 and it can sell anywhere from $115- $230 after on the re-sale with the highest prices going to small volume(relatively speaking) craft beer makers.

Not too mention, many of the big guys don't control used barrels in the same way they do new ones so the liquid/vintage may be difficult to track on the re-sale.
  38. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Bourbon barrels are 53 gallons. Let's round down to 50 for ease of calculation. 50 gallons = 6400 oz. 6400 oz = 260-290 bottles, depending on whether you use bombers or 750s.

So that's less than a dollar per bottle overhead for barrel cost. Fuck it, let's double the cost of the barrels. $2/bottle. That doesn't explain why the bottles are $25+ ea. (unless you bought futures, then it was $20+).

Same thing goes for other breweries that charge that much for regular BA beers (looking at you, North Coast!)
    ejeffer11 likes this.
  39. There have been 3 different batches of the PVW. 1 was bad and 2 were good.