1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Which one is PSI?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (510) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

For setting your keg pressure, go with the one that is 10, 20, 30 , etc. The other one tells you the remaining amount of beer juice left in the CO2 tank.

3. drewbage

drewbage Advocate (675) California Mar 15, 2003

Yup, the one on the left is your valve setting. The one on the right is the tank pressure

4. jbakajust1

Thanks, I know which one is which, but there are 2 sets of numbers on the left regulator, inside and outside. Which numbers on the left guage the 10-100 or the 0-40?

5. The one on the left is the regulator pressure (the important one). The one on the right is all but useless. It tells you one of three things:
    1. When the gauge reads somewhere around 500-700 psi, depending on the temperature, it means there's liquid CO2 in the tank (not how much, just if there's some in there -- it could be a single drop). This will remain constant until the liquid is gone (virtually for the life of the refill)
    2. When the gauge reads zero, it means the tank is empty (but you really don't need a gauge to tell you that ;))
    3. When the gauge reads greater than zero, but less than 500-700 psi, it means that the tank might as well be empty. At this point, you're literally running on fumes. It's important to note that when this happens, you likely don't have enough CO2 left for tonight's party.

For the left gauge, it looks like you read the psi on the outer scale. For the right gauge, it's the inner scale.

kjyost likes this.
  6. What units do you figure that inner scale is? I find it odd that the regulator doesn't indicate what units it uses.

7. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (320) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

10 Kilograms=22.0462 pounds so I'm guessing that the inside is pounds and the outside is kilograms.

8. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen one like that. Does that say "Cuft/Hour" ? That would be a flow rate rather than a pressure.

9. jbakajust1

Ltr/Min

10. VikeMan

Those are flow rates, which don't make any sense to me for that style of gauge. I am perplexed.

Edit: Flow Rates are measured by flow meters, which typically look something the vertical thingy on this regulator. (But the dial is still a pressure gauge.)

[​IMG]

11. 1 BAR = 1 ATMOSPHERE = ~14.6 psi

12. VikeMan

What indicates that that meter is measuring in Bars?

13. VikeMan

I couldn't stand the suspense, so I googled...

http://www.squidoo.com/welding-supply-etiquette

According to a paragraph on that page, there are dial gauge style flow meters. I think you have a flow meter, which is different from a pressure gauge. Unfortunately it would not be useful for kegging, since there is no way to convert flow rate to PSIs. (At fully carbonated equilibrium, a flow meter would read 0.)

14. But kg per square inch makes no sense. Should be per square meter (and it should be Newtons not kg - which is a measure of mass, not force) /metricnerd

15. I don't know...but mine measures in bars and psi

Edit: My bad, didn't see his pix at first...reminds me of another thread where we were talking about red zones (bar scale on mine is in red) : )

16. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (320) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

I don't know dude but look at the photo and do the math.

10 kilos=22.0462 pounds
    20 kilos=44.0925 pounds
    30kilos=66.1387 pounds
    40 kilos=88.1849 pounds

Seems pretty conclusive to me.

17. jbakajust1

So, can I buy a PSI guage and swap it out or do I have to get a new regulator?

18. VikeMan

Good guess, but no. 1 Cu ft/Hour ~ .472 Ltr/Min. Thus 10 Ltr/Min ~ 21.2 Cu Ft/Hour. The outer scale is Ltr/Min. The inner scale is Cu Ft/Hour. Flow Rate, not Pressure.

19. VikeMan

I don't know. I'm also beginning to wonder if that gauge might actually be a pressure gauge, but marked with a flow scale that assumes a certain (constant) resistance. A way to find out would be to pressurize a keg (an empty keg will do). Once it's full (no more hissing), a true flowmeter would read 0. But a pressure gauge (albeit with flow scale markings) would read some positive value. If it's the latter, I'd be more confident that you could replace the gauge with a more usefully marked pressure gauge.

20. jbakajust1

It stays @ 15 when I set it to 15 on a carbed keg.

21. VikeMan

That's good news. Looks like the gauge is a pressure gauge, but displaying flow rate for some specific application (where the flow never stops), assuming some constant line resistance. If you knew what that was, you might be able to just use it as is, maybe making a few marks on the face for PSI. Where did this regulator come from, anyway? Also, do you have a bottled gas supplier (other than a beer distributor) in your area? They might recognize it and be able to tell you how to convert the dial readings to PSI.

22. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

It sounds like the sort of display that could be useful for running a gas chromatograph, so that the the flow rate of the carrier gas is displayed. However, in my GC days, my regulator read in pressure unit. I measured flow rates manual with a bubble meter and a stop watch. Archaic technique.

23. jbakajust1

I have an AirGas and other industial gas spots in town. I can take it there tomorrow.

24. If it's been working well...keep it and make your own scale in grease pen/magic marker : )

25. Isn't this PSI?

Oh wait..