1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Which state has the worst beer distribution?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jwren5, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Jwren5

Jwren5 Member

I think the title says exactly what I'm looking for. The two second search I was patient enough to do on here yielded no results, so if this has already been discussed recently...oops. I thought about clicking through seekabrew.com, but I'd rather hear from actual BAs.
  2. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Member

With no evidence (having never been to the state) it appears that Wyoming has the worst distribution in terms of number of breweries.

I can vouch that anything North of the twin cities in MN is pretty slim pickings, and north of Grand Rapids MN is a wasteland (I'm stoked when Leines or Nordeast is on tap instead of Michelob Golden Light).

Cheers!
  3. draheim

draheim Member

Click on a few probable states on this site to get a good idea.
    http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html
    My guess is Mississippi.

EDIT: Are you talking about number of breweries or distribution? I think these are two different things, but responses so far seem to be confusing them.
    AnotherImperial and elkinbrown like this.
  4. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Member

While Wyoming doesn't have the number of breweries of some other states (the state has a total population of under one million), they do have some good breweries I've visited, including Black Tooth in Sheridan, Snake River in Jackson, and Thai Me Up in Jackson (never been here, however, but sampled during GABF). And since Otto Bros/Grand Teton started in Jackson.... New breweries are opening in WY but since most towns are quite small, the number will never be huge. I'm anxious to try the new one in Buffalo (Clear Creek) next time I'm up visiting family.

My guess for worst, based on the criteria of brewery numbers only would be North Dakota.
    hardy008 likes this.
  5. Lutter

Lutter Member

West Virginia.

This is also the first time the words "West Virginia" have been uttered on this forum.

Don't believe me? This is their brewery list on SeekABrew:

They make North Dakota look EPIC! At least ND has Bell's, Deschutes, Goose Island, and Boulevard amongst others.
  6. Definitely not NC. Our local beers are amazing. We have Foothills Brewery, Highland brewery, Red Oak, and if you are desperate Natty Greens. Since I am a porter guy, the first two on the list are especially important.
    BillieWest and Tiger33 like this.
  7. Scalzo

Scalzo Member

Hawaii or Alaska
    TwelveOunces likes this.
  8. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Member

Based on Seekabrew alone Mississippi looks slightly worse than West Virginia. Mississippi has one fewer brewer (24 instead of 25), and WV has Shelton Bros, Great Lakes, Harpoon and Epic. But in general it does look like these 2 states are amongst the worst in the Union for beer.
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  9. Dirty25

Dirty25 Member

Arkansas, half the state is dry. Only a few good beer stores in the hole state, most people are poor and drink BMC, and even though we get GI we don't get many limted releases. Diamond Bear is the only AR brewery and the beer sucks...Avery and unibrouige is distributed here but the distributors just quit stocking it.

On a up side we get plenty of Boulevard and get all their limited releases! And Missouri is only a 2.5hr drive away and they get odells, founders, bells, Avery, souther tier, and stone ...FML
    BruceBruce and TheBishopco like this.
  10. Dirty25

Dirty25 Member

Alaska has Alaska brewing co and some other great breweries. Where as they are not the best beer state they don't suck
  11. islandboi8204

islandboi8204 Member

Having moved from Philly, the distribution in Hawaii is not what I've grown accustomed to, but then again Philly is the best city when it comes to beer. At least I can still get Drie Fonteinen and Cantillon, I'm looking forward to Zwanze on the 1st without the shit show.
    Good_Trader and mdillon86 like this.
  12. Lutter

Lutter Member

Hawaii is limited, but what they do get is quality.
    islandboi8204 likes this.
  13. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Member

Uh, this might be debatable.
  14. islandboi8204

islandboi8204 Member

Sure, everyone is entitled to their own homerism and palates of course.
    sholle likes this.
  15. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Member

Diamond Beer is not too bad of a beer. They did win a gold at GABF a few years back with their Red. It might not be a beer geek's best tasting brew, but to the style, I think it was pretty good. Arkansas also has Core Brewing & Distilling, Refined Al Brewery, Fossil Cove Brewing Company, and Saddlebock Brewery, as well as five brewpubs. I don't think Arkansas is that bad of a beer wasteland. Just my 10 cents worth.
    BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  16. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Member

If we are truly talking about distribution it's not homerism to day that Philly/Southeastern PA is tops. This topic has been discussed before on BA and it's one of the less subjective ones (compared to Best Beer City/Best Beer State). Philly area truly does have world class distribution.

Now if we are talking about the city/state with the best brewers than Philly and PA would have trouble cracking a top 5 list.

Sorry to get off topic. To the OP: the worst selections I've seen when trying to buy beer on work trips are TX and LA.
  17. *ticking states that I should never consider moving to, even for a large raise, due to abysmal beer selection*

I was going to say TX, but looks like West Virginia or Mississippi takes the cake.
    beertunes likes this.
  18. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Member

Wherever you can't get Russian River, Alpine, Kern River...you get the idea.
    Strwrs777, jpvenezia and Tomlin091744 like this.
  19. jmw

jmw Member

Beg to differ my friend. I'm on here uttering all the time, as are a few others.
    The SeekaBrew list is slightly out of date--doesn't include a few that are now distributed here, and even includes a brewery that no longer exists.

To the OP: seems that you'll have to define "worst". Folks here seem to be confusing number of breweries with quality of breweries.
  20. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Member

There's an old saying: "who does West Virginia make fun of?" The answer is always the same: "nobody". Based solely on principle I'm going with WV.
    AnotherImperial and IdrinkGas like this.
  21. Immortale25

Immortale25 Member

I was totally gonna start this thread, only mine was gonna be titled something along the lines of "What's the worst state to live in due to poor beer distribution?" But I didn't want to offend anyone. The only state not mentioned yet is Utah due to their 5% cap on ABV. Yeah, they still have good breweries but isn't that a pain in the ass?
  22. Jwren5

Jwren5 Member

Smallest amount of quality beer available is what I was going for. It doesn't matter if it's brewed in the state. Either way, the results are interesting so far.
  23. standardcherry

standardcherry Member

Texas has Jester King, Freetail and plenty of other delicious stuff!
  24. Domingo

Domingo Member

I've never seen a place as devoid of beer as Mississippi. Other than Abita and Lazy Magnolia, I only saw Sam, Anchor, and SN.
    Alabama used to be worse, but in the last 3 years they've developed a surprisingly decent scene.
  25. draheim

draheim Member

All the expired beer produced by the worst offenders in the bottle dating thread should be sent to the worst offenders in this thread. Old craft beer is better than no craft beer.
  26. SilentUproar

SilentUproar Member

Florida. It may not be as bad as others but when u cant get Pliny BCBS or Founder it can be torture
  27. draheim

draheim Member

Let me know if you need me to explain the definition of the word "worst." ;)
  28. TylerBGoode

TylerBGoode Member

You get Marshall. Only four states can say that, so consider yourself lucky.
    EagleTalon, Tadloco and jtmiller03 like this.
  29. stayclean

stayclean Member

Pretty sure that cap is only on draft beers, right?
  30. Scalzo

Scalzo Member

Alaska has a few good breweries howerver,
    I would be surprised if they got a lot of distribution from other states, seeing how far away they are from the continental US

The question was which state has the worst distribution? Not which state has the worst beer. otherwise I would say Mississippi or West Virginia
  31. mdillon86

mdillon86 Member

I'm so jealous, but also disappointed you won't be braving the Monk's crowd with me.
    Tilley4 and islandboi8204 like this.
  32. Gannon81

Gannon81 Member

I've been through Cheyenne a few times over the last couple years and, though I didn't do an intensive scrounge, Odell brewing was about as exotic as the selection got.
  33. TheBishopco

TheBishopco Member

True. But, honestly they are not a stand out brewery, IMHO. They are good, but I'd much rather see Choc and Coop. But on a whole, Arkansas has a TON of room for improvement.
    Tadloco and jtmiller03 like this.
  34. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Member

Kansas doesn't get those either, but since we're neighbors with Colorado, I'm pretty happy. Kansas misses out of a lot of the Michigan, Oregan, and major California breweries though.
  35. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Member

Is Marshall good? I could have bough a sixer of their Oktoberfest today for $5 but passed.
  36. jmw

jmw Member

Oh, torture. Sorry mate, you're getting no sympathy here. Couldn't you think of any more buzzword-beers to put on your list? Loons? Dark Lord? Doing good for those?
    Look around your beer store--you're doing fine.
    darkmoon66 and kagent777 like this.
  37. rangerred

rangerred Member

Tennessee is quite bad. Just in the last several years we have lost Dogfish Head, Avery, Great Divide, and Boulevard (at least in eastern part of the state). We have no Bell's, Founders, Great Lakes, Goose Island. Things are gradually improving however with the introduction of Lagunitas, Southern Tier, and Green Flash coming soon.
  38. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Member

Completely disagree, Florida has CCB, Swamphead, and Funky Buddha. CCB alone puts the state in the top 10 IMO.
    RyanSchwam and mammal33 like this.
  39. stearns16

stearns16 Member

Connecticut. Instead of just getting the beer out to stores when i arrives the distributors like to play games and sit on cases until they feel like delivering them. The other thing that stinks is not all beer is available throughout the state. For example, Flower Power is available in New Haven and Fairfield county, but you can't buy it in New London.
    Duesler and oldedog like this.
  40. KYGunner

KYGunner Member

For the longest time I would have said Kentucky, as we don't get simple breweries like New Belgium and Yuengling. I have on a number of occasions driven for hours just for Fat Tire in TN or Ohio. KY is half dry also so it's not necessarily what is distributed but what or where beer is available. If you were lucky enough to be in a "wet" county often all you had we're Budwieser products. All that said Lexington andLouisville have jumped into the craft brew scene with two feet and things are much better now.

As for who do people in WV make fun of? KY is often the butt of their jokes!