Which style do you tend to cellar most?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Thickfreakness, Feb 6, 2013.

?

What's the % of your cellar?

1. RIS/American Double Stout

60.3%
  2. Barleywine

37.0%
  3. Belgian (Strong, Quad, Dubbel, Tripel)

16.4%
  4. Saison

1.4%
  5. Sour/Lambic/Wild Ale/Flanders

32.9%
  6. Old Ale

12.3%
  7. Porter/Baltic Porter

1.4%
  8. Other

2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I figure we all love some, or most beer styles that are cellarable. Which style(s) do you feel benefit(s) most with some "time" on it? I'm a big fan of Saison's with a few years, as well as English Barleywines and quite a few RIS'.
    Some of my favorites with time are:
    DFH Palo Santo
    GI BCBS
    GD Old Ruffian
    Troegs Flying Mouflan
    ST Choklat
    Bruery Black Tuesday
    Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale
    ST Cherry Saison
    Ommegang Three Philosophers
    GI Sofie
    Uinta Cockeyed Cooper

2. I'm probably
    42% RIS
    33% BW
    15% Belgian
    2% Old Ale
    2% Saison
    6% Other

3. aslamm75

aslamm75 Savant (305) Indiana Nov 6, 2009

I'm mainly a RIS and barleywine guy myself as well as some old ales. I like the hops to fade in my BW and RIS. What kind of age do you put on your ST Choklat, Old Ruffian, BCBS? I have all three in my cellar and was curious about that. I've not had Choklat or Old Ruffian fresh yet, so I should probably do that to get a baseline.

4. I have a lot of RIS and American double’s and Barley wines and barrel aged brews. I really like having aged barley wines over fresh for some reason. A big reason why I cellar or hoard as some may say is to taste how a brew changes over time! Fresh is great but something with a year or two or five years is pretty fun to me!

albertq17 and Andygirl like this.
  5. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

What it is: Mainly stouts and old ale/barleywines.

What I think it should be: Mostly wilds and lambics.

allouez86 and JxExM like this.
  6. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (620) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

45% RIS
    35% BW
    7% Belgian
    5% Old Ale
    8% Sour

BW's hang around for the longest. I would expect in 5 years for the top 2 to switch

7. I try to cellar sours most, but I have a hard time not drinking them. My cellar breakdown right now is probably something like

40% barrel aged stouts
    30% sours
    10% barleywines
    10% old/strong ales
    5% saisons
    5% random other stuff (wheat wines, quads, etc)

8. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

90% Imperial Stouts
    6% Strong Ales
    2% Belgian
    1% Barleywine
    1% Rounding Error

9. I have 6 bottles left in my cellar and 5 of them are stouts.

10. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

If I had it my way, it wouldn't matter what styles my cellar contained, because I would have enough of everything to last me forever.

11. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

1. Stouts
    2. Old Ales
    3. Beligian of some sort
    4. Barleywine

12. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

I've probably got about 250 bottles in my cellar right now with imperial stouts being represented the most. However, I've been trying to drink them down as I'm mostly focusing on aging Darkness, BCBS, Abyss, Black Butte Anniversary and just a few other imperial stouts. That being said my collection of quads, barleywines, and lambic/wild ales has grown a lot over the past year as it seems like I enjoy those styles with age more than I enjoy imperial stouts with age.

13. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Had a two year old Old Ruffian a few weeks ago and it still had a ton of hop presence and didn't taste too much different than it did fresh. IMHO I'd say give it another year or maybe even two if you're willing to wait.

14. argock

argock Advocate (510) Virginia Dec 30, 2006

Imperial stout (only style I typically buy cases of to cellar) probably 60%, then it is very even 10% each across the board Belgian (quad or BSDA), old ale, and barleywine

15. Gueuze. I like to buy 3 or 4 different sizes and brands a year, with hopes of some of them remaining in 20 or so years.