1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Whip In Cellar Release

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by kmello69, Oct 29, 2012.

1. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Austin peeps (and others) - Friday, November 23, Whip In will be releasing the following bottles for sale from their cellar. First come, first served, and very limited.

all vintages of 2008:

anchor xmas ale magnums​
    avery brewing kaiser​
    avery brewing mephistopheles​
    avery brewing maharaja​
    avery brewing samaels​
    chouffe houblon IPA tripel ale​
    dogfish head red&white​
    fullers vintage ale 2008​
    lagunitas brewing gnarly wine​
    lagunitas brewing lucky 13​
    lagunitas brewing hairyeye ball​
    meantime scotch ale 750ml​
    north coast old stock ale​
    sierra nevada bigfoot ale​
    real ale sisyphus barley wine​
    rogue old crustacean barley wine​
    unibroue 17 anniversary ale​

2. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (185) Alabama Nov 1, 2011

Who wants 2008 Maharaja?

air, champ103 and r0nburgundy69 like this.
  3. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

No joke, some of those Avery are still on shelves in KY because, well, no one has bought them still. A friend picked up some '07 and '06 Samaels last time he was in town.

4. they ought to hold back some texas stuff too, would love to see some wild bear in a cellar release

5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

These cellar releases are usually shit that sits on the shelf... making them "vintage" makes them move them and allow them to price them higher. Wild Boar sat on the shelf for approximately 33 seconds.

(512) did have a cask of it at the Draught House 44th Anniversary.

6. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Thats a very MEH list. There are some awesome beers, but I am sure the markup is pretty insane

7. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Wisdom.

8. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

I am pretty sure that the Whip In cellar sales are stuff that was purposefully held back for this sale not stuff that sits on the shelf and is then sold as a "cellared" item. The list isn't super impressive to me but I believe it reflects Dipak's particular tastes more than any thing else.
    The last 2-3 years sales have been more interesting to me than this years, and there is a considerable mark up so if there if not something you really want it would be hard to pull the trigger on any of these.
    Usually they bring out more cellared kegs as well around this time.

Last year I picked up a 2007 Wake up Dead that was awesome and worth the price to me.

jasonycurtis likes this.
  9. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

To be fair the last time I was in Whip In I found the prices to be quite competitive,

10. slimchill

slimchill Aficionado (130) Texas Apr 10, 2008

i've found 05 samael and 06 beast on shelves in austin.

11. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

At least as of recently, ive got to agree. Its where i got my last WADPP for 14.99. Was suprised as the year before i think they were at least 16 at whip in.

12. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Yeah I agree that Whip In generally is a bit more pricey compared to other spots. This goes for their food too. I spend easily $15-20 on a plate of food and a beer each time I go. However, I think their quality is definitely worth it. They ALWAYS have excellent taps and good bottle selection. The food is first rate and they've expanded their indoor seating and have live music every night. And they started brewing too. Depak is a good dude and I'm happy that his business is growing.

BK

kevinscott likes this.