Whiskey extraction of Chicory, why not?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MrOH, Dec 28, 2012.

1. MrOH

MrOH Advocate (525) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

I received an ounce of chicory root in my stocking this year. I was thinking of using it in a stout, and figured that making an extract using bourbon whiskey as the solvent might be the way to go. Any reasons not to go this route? Any better ways to utilize it? Was thinking of a strong milk stout with vanilla, chicory, and some bourbon soaked oak cubes.

2. Sounds great. ISO. :D

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  3. I've never had this stuff, but your post reminded me that I have seen it in stores.
    http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/2012/11/mississippi_distillery_launche.html

I have done a coffee and chicory stout before. I had some fermentation trouble, but all-in-all the beer was tasty.

Just FYI, if you got raw chicory, you need to roast it to get the coffee like flavors. I have never roasted chicory myself, so your on your own there.
    Good luck, and let me know how the beer turns out.

4. MrOH

MrOH Advocate (525) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

How did you deal with the chicory? There aren't really a lot of complete leads online, just a bunch of "I'm gonna make a chicory stout, how should I do it?" type threads that have no answers.

5. Maybe send an email to DFH?

6. Naugled

Naugled Advocate (550) New York Sep 25, 2007 Verified

You must not have been very good this year. ;)

I assume you've tried DFH chicory stout? And you still want to add it? :)

inchrisin likes this.
  7. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

IIRC the chicory stout uses coffee with chicory. Last time I was in New Orleans I picked up some coffee and chicory and really enjoyed it. You could try brewing up some hot coffee or espresso mixed with chicory (maybe cold brew, not sure how chicory must be treated, or if its roasted before adding to coffee), cooling it and adding to the brew.

8. ryane

ryane Savant (380) Washington Nov 21, 2007

I make chicory tea quite often and I would suggest simply adding it to the boil rather than extracting it. I feel that mixing it with whiskey might make it astringent and possible bitter

boiling it brings out the nutty flavors

9. I live in New Orleans, and most of the coffee drunk here is coffee and chicory mixed. So, what I used was a store bought coffee and chicory. I just made a pot of coffee and added it to the secondary.
    This is a common chicory that I have seen for sale at grocery stores. It is only chicory, no coffee.
    http://www.cajungrocer.com/coffee-partner-ground-chicory.html
    You may be able to get some info on how they roast and grind it.
    I would assume that you could just finely chop the chicory. Then you could roast it and steep it in a sauce pan, and strain it into your secondary.
    When I made mine, I think the coffee and chicory was a bit to strong. I made a 12 cup pot and I used 1 tspn of coffee chicory per cup. I did this because that is how I make my coffee, but my coffee is a tad on the strong side. I could probably cut the ratio in half.
    I'm not sure how much you should use because there is no coffee with you chicory. If you have enough, I would probably make a 1cup water : (approx) 1/2 tspn. Chicory, and see how it tastes.
    Sorry I can't be of more help, but I have only made the beer once and I have never worked with raw chicory.
    FYI, I know I have seen roasted chicory at Whole Foods before. As you can see on the link, it is not expensive. You might want to pick some up to experiment with first.