1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Whitbread Golding Hops question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by memory, Jan 20, 2013.

1. memory

memory Savant (250) Pennsylvania Oct 2, 2005

I see Hopsdirect has a weekend sale buy one get one free for imported WGV pellets. I've used their US Goldings and am out of them and liked them a lot, but wondering if these compare well to them. Sounds like a decent deal but am wondering how they compare. Just a weaker cousin so use more? They say it's good for Pale ale and wheat, why not Barleywine?
    Or should I just get their US Goldings which I really like. Beautiful hop Goldings is.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/mlk-day-coupon/
  2. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Next weekend (I hope) I'll brew a single hopped bitter that features these. It's the first time I'll be using them. I selected them because they were described by several sources as fruitier than Kent Goldings. Sounded interesting. The ones that I have are rated towards the high end of the alpha acid range, 7.1%. I'm not sure if that is generally true of the current crop or not.
  3. 7.1% is pretty high for a Goldings; the ones I used were around 5.3%.

Not all "Goldings" by the way are actually Goldings. Styrian Goldings are effectively Fuggles.Still a good hop though, Timothy Taylor's uses them in Landlord :)
  4. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

There's all kinds of room for variation in a hop variety's profile depending on the conditions under which it was grown. The site that you listed above lists 5.5-7.5% as a typical range for Whitbread Goldings, so these are within that range, but higher than any Kent Golding or North American Golding that I have used.

I've used Styrian Goldings in English-styled and Belgian-styled ales. I've never had a bad experience with them. Fuggles, too, for that matter. But this time, I wanted to try Whitbread Goldings. It's mostly just malt, hops, yeast, and water, but within those four ingredients, there are endless variations to try.
  5. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I was shocked to discover how many different varieties are lumped together and sold as EKG.
    azorie likes this.
  6. That's interesting because if it were fish we were talking about, that would be illegal.
  7. EKG are surely simply Goldings which are grown in East Kent ? As opposed to (just) Kent Goldings and Worcester Goldings which are all the genuine article.Priced accordingly with EKG being the dearest.
    sergeantstogie likes this.
  8. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I have used the Whitbred Goldings. They are a little spicier then EKG. An excellent choice for any Ale!
    jlpred55 likes this.
  9. patto1ro

No, it turns out EKG are a whole load of varieties. They all come from East Kent, but aren't necessarily Goldings.
  10. In the US you can buy "hallertau" that can be H. Gold or H Tradition or whatever. If I want H Mittelfrueh the package needs to state that. Homebrew shop sourced, commercial might be better.
  11. patto1ro

It's the hop merchants in Kent who lump them all together as EKG.
  12. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

I love WGVs...they make superb single hop bitters. To me they taste slightly more lemon-y herbal tea like compared to EKG.
  13. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

I use them in almost all my bitters as well. I perfer them mixed with First Gold or EKG for finishing and use them for bittering almost exclusively. Never tried them as a single hop.