1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

White chocolate/chocolate rain/black Tuesday

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by TomFoolery_x, Dec 4, 2012.

1. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

What's this thread going for?

OP, why are you offering to retrade a beer for another beer from the same brewery? Sense isn't being made here. Why not just offer what you are offering for the White Chocolate for that CR? C'mon man.

How do so many people struggle with trading?
    franklinn and nanobrew like this.
  2. I'm not going to be able to tell you how to trade, the best I can do is offer you good advice.

My advice is as follows:

- Don't post these kinds of threads - it's a good way to get on some trader's blacklists. Even if you mean well, it comes off as trying to maximize trade value.

- Don't try to publicly parlay beers you just traded for into something more - some traders take offense to this, especially when good deals are done out of generosity (particularly to a new trader who doesn't have a lot of ammo). I don't know the ins and outs of how you landed the White Chocolates, but keep this in mind.

- You've been on this site for 2 months, why are you even worried about tracking down a beer like Chocolate Rain right now? Just the fact that you thought you could land CR with WC as ammo shows you have a lot to learn about trading. Learn to walk before you run. Thousands of great beers out there nowadays - focus on the ones you have the ammo for. Trust me, your cellar will grow over time.

- As others have pointed out, trading is all about building relationships. Not just with individual traders, but within the community itself. Focus on becoming an upstanding member of the trading community, and in 6-12 months post "ISO: Chocolate Rain" - you'll be amazed at the responses you'll get compared to what you're trying right now.

I'm sure you're a great guy, and hopefully a future great trader. But this is a community that has seen many traders shoot out of the gates doing precisely the kinds of things you are doing, only to eventually end up on the bad trader list.
  3. Meh, he wants to figure out how to get harder to get beers, I have problem with that (I even just BM'd him). It's the dicks that post ISO's where the $4$ calc is 3-5x in their favour that piss me off. If I have a CR/GM/BT (and I'm in Hoarders Society next year) and you have a beer I want I'm happy to trade my extra CR/GM/BT/whatever that I don't need for $4$, even if you plan on re-trading the beer I send to get harder to get stuff. More power to you I say...
  4. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

I have all 3, and have chatted about this hierarchy with a few RS friends recently. First off, if you jumped on it, you got as much WC as you wanted, I got a case because I love that shiz. Second, if you ordered through RS and the public order, you could end up with 9 BT. Third, no matter how hard you tried, you got no more than 3 CR. (there are execptions, i know, but sake of argument here.) I just merely point this out so that you understand the disparity between WC and CR.

Now, about trading. I like to talk in non-discounted values since I paid for the membership, but that makes some people uncomfortable, so I will talk in discounted ones.
    WC = $22.50
    BT = $30.00
    CR = $34.00

Assuming since the disparity between WC and BT is smaller that you trade $4$, you are looking at WC+ to get BT. Assuming a VERY GENEROUS (read crazy) trader, you could MAYBE look at WC+$12 to get CR.

Now let me tell you, WC is beautiful right now, I love it and If it becomes a shelf beer next year, I will most likely bathe in it. I would have told you that it was the best of their beers for me, but that was before I tasted 2010 CR and my head exploded.

Long story short, wait, drink the WC, you may decide you have no desire to trade it away anymore.
  5. WC was the same price point as BT. That is, both are $30, and CR is $40 before any discounts or addition of taxes. Looking at my RS account, I paid:

WC = $27.48
    BT = $27.48 (non-RS paid $32.33 with tax)
    CR = $36.64

This includes the RS discount and the state tax.

Ted
  6. Ok, I didn't realize what I now know about white chocolate. And while I did realize it was a venn diagram issue, I didn't realize how much white chocolate couldn't trade for chocolate rain. That being said. I'm going to drink one, and possibly trade the other. Maybe not.

But to those that speak of my join date, I would frequent this site multiple times daily for over a year when I finally decided to join. While that holds no value to anyone here anyways, I just thought I should disclose.

Thanks to everyone for the input. This was a productive thread and I actually learned some stuffs.
  7. 3rdto1st

You're right, I messed up digits and was looking at the BT from the public sale with no RS discount applied. My bad.
  8. No worries, I was just in the process of archiving my RS sales invoice history (as I'm guessing HS members lose access to their RS sales history next year) so I figured I'd post up since I had the #'s handy...;)
  9. Don't get down about it either man - we all (for the most part) have made threads like this and gotten pooped on for it at some point. No worries. Heed the advice of others and it will pay off.

My final "closing" - drink as many different beers as you can. You will soon learn (if you haven't already) that yeah - hunting down a whale is fun and all, and posting a picture of a sweet haul is awesome, but nothing is better than finding love in a beer that is cheaper and easier to get IMO. We all love to drink a rarity here and there, don't get me wrong, but I would much rather try 100 different beers than say, 5 whales. Taste is so subjective that it is impossible for everyone to agree on what is the best beer. Sure, Chocolate Rain could be your all-time favorite beer after you try it. But so could that $7.99 six pack in the dusty convenience store. Hell, some of my favorite go-to beers probably wouldn't trade for a pile of poop!
    franklinn, cbeer88 and TomFoolery_x like this.
  10. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Skip this forum and post trades for whatever you want. Negotiate however you want. Pack up boxes however you want.
  11. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

This. Except I'd like to add "as long as they are safe" to that last part.
    crushedvol, TWStandley and Rempo like this.
  12. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Shrug. I'm tempted to throw a label directly on a bottle one of these days. Maybe wrap it in aluminum foil first.
  13. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Please do. I've been told I'm in need of some aluminum foil for a hat.
  14. depends which end you're iso...
  15. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I see what I think you did there.....
  16. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Also, make sure you tape down all your bubble wrap. Everyone loves it.
    FTowne and tbadiuk like this.
  17. 3rdto1st

Especially the cans, triple wrap those things :p
    FTowne and Steimie like this.
  18. I'm currently cleaning that last sip off coffee off my iPad. POTD