1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

White Grape Taste?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by papat444, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Been a while since i've posted a "in search of a specific flavor in a beer" thread (whew!) but i'm on a white grape kick these days which reminded me of the Derneire Volonte Aged in Pinot that had that specific flavor (there it is :D) . Sadly, there hasn't been any around in a while. Anything in the Northeastern that i'm missing? Thanks!
  2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Hmmmm. If you can find it on tap. I had it at Bavarian lodge in IL
    Saison D'erpe Zymatore

Its there saison aged in Gin/chardonnay barrels. Super damn good.

Cheers!
    papat444 and JxExM like this.
  3. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

4. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Noble Rot from Dogfishhead? I'm not sure what type of grapes they used, but it was supposed to be a pretty good one.
    DevilsCups likes this.
  5. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I think McDonald's has white grapes but I'm not sure. Call their customer service line and ask.
    Nectar likes this.
  6. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

What about DFH Red and White? Think that was pinot noir grapes and more readily available (there is a Noble Rot release coming up though).
  7. Also DFH Midas Touch if I remember correctly
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  8. Noble Rot is made with Viognier grapes that have Botrytis cinerea infection that I guess is somewhat rare and adds a desirable flavor to wine. Anyway, the beer from DFH is quite good and tastes more like wine than beer.
  9. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Yep. Midas Touch is strong on the white grape notes.. really good beer..
    devlishdamsel and DevilsCups like this.
  10. Aside from beers brewed with grapes or aged in wine barrels, beers brewed with Nelson Sauvin hops give off a distinct and delicious white grape flavor. The name Nelson Sauvin comes from Sauvignon Blanc.
  11. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

DFH Midas touch
  12. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Sui Generis From Avery had wine grapes in it as well from what i remember, and aged in wine barrels. I'm sure their more limited sours will often have white wine character. - at least the ones they age in those barrels.
  13. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Noble Rot is a great beer. Very white wine forward.
  14. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

My current favorite is Russian River Temptation which is aged in Chardonnay Barrels and so picks up the grape and the oak. I'm working through a case of 12, drinking one every few weeks as a special treat and to get a sense of how it changes over time in the bottle.
  15. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

GI Sofie has a nice white grape flavor to it too IMO
  16. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Waiting patiently
  17. I get a white grape/grape juice aroma and flavor from some Belgian and German beers.
  18. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

To each his own. In my opinion, that beer was disgusting. I've also had He'Brew's sad attempt at grape beer and it was also bad.

I got a nice white grape taste from a can of Wet this year. Maybe next year?
  19. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

After having Midas Touch, I decided I'm not too big on grape flavor in beer (unless you consider certain sour ales as having grape flavor.)
  20. Seems like it comes up a few times. I'll have to check it out. Been awhile since i've revisited DFH.
    BB1313 likes this.
  21. Haven't had that one from RR. I'll have to seek it out next time i'm in Philly.
  22. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Midas Touch seems pretty polarizing. More of a collision of beer, wine, and mead. I happen to like it, but it seems it is a love/hate thing.
    BB1313 likes this.
  23. Widmer Brothers Lemongrass Wheat
  24. Love me a challenge :D
  25. That looks tasty! Too bad it doesn't come in bottles :(
  26. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Ill say midas touch as well. Cellar it for a year and the grape flavors really come forward.