1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who else has a supportive significant other/family?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jwheeler87, Oct 30, 2012.

1. My girlfriend and I celebrated our one year anniversary together this past weekend. Technically today is our anniversary, but with both of us in the education profession we celebrated over the weekend. She had been so understanding and cool with my beer geekery/habit this past year. To the point of not speaking to one of her sisters who believed I was "changing her" since my girlfriend didn't drink beer before us getting together. Anyway, she got me these for our one year http://www.etsy.com/listing/92118203/toasting-pilsner-glasses-personalized with J+K for the initials and 10-29-11 for the date. She also got me some Founder's Breakfast Stout to go with them. Who else has a great girlfriend/wife or boyfriend/husband that supports our geekery/habits without intervention or concern.

Squidly, BS-, queens1130 and 3 others like this.
  2. RyanMM

RyanMM Aficionado (210) Michigan Mar 12, 2009

My wife doesn't drink beer, has probably tried sips of over 200 of the ones I've had an gagged at nearly every one. But she still helps me out and does little things that are really nice. Coming with me to beer releases, suggesting to hit a brewery on the way home from a day trip, going to bars and restaurants that have good beer lists. She's great.

3. Gritch

Gritch Aficionado (165) Indiana Dec 26, 2010

My girl got me into craft beers. We just celebrated our 4 year anniversary this past weekend. Congratulations to you and your girlfriend. She sounds like a keeper.

zipper8650, ChanChan, Jwren5 and 2 others like this.
  4. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

My girlfriend has slowly become a craft beer drinker. She only drank liquor when we started dating 2.5 years ago. Now she loves craft beer. It's awesome.

jwheeler87 likes this.
  5. Horseballs

Horseballs Aficionado (105) Ohio Feb 7, 2012

She brews with me sometimes and I have to fight with her over the last bottle of DIPA, RIS or Sour... tonight it was ten fidy.

loweball727 and jwheeler87 like this.
  6. I have the nearly the same situation as RyanMM does, except she's my girlfriend. She's been in the picture for over a year, which equates to roughly 100 new beers. She'll try any of them, but we've only managed to find a few she would drink. That being said, she has recently decided to try to like Blue Moon more. She sees some of her friends that like it and thought she should. I'll take it. It's the small steps that will eventually get you there.

Jimjohson and jwheeler87 like this.
  7. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

This, so much, haha. The only time she didn't make an awful face was FBS.

My wife brings me beer home all the time, since she works near the best craft shop around me. She's always up for going out to a place with me to try new beers as long as she can get a bite to eat or a cider/lambic.

She told me she's got a beer surprise for me prepared for my birthday, but won't tell me what. Two more weeks of waiting.

jwheeler87 and JamesShoemaker like this.
  8. Couldn't live without my wife. I mean, someone's gotta take the boxes to FedEx when I don't set a pickup. I keep her happy with a constant supply of Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart, soon to be Serendipity, and Sanctification.

match1112 and jwheeler87 like this.
  9. My GF likes to try everything with me, contribute to reviews, and even likes certain respectable beers that I don't. She also tolerates me ordering beers from CA, despite the exorbitant shipping rates. I think if I drank more she might have an issue with it, but I actually don't drink all that much.

Congrats on your anniversary. Liz and I just had our third, split a bottle of ST Mokah to celebrate (one of our mutual favorites).

jwheeler87 likes this.
  10. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

After 20 yrs together we've both learned a couple of things. I've learned that my lovely wife can never have too many pairs of shoes with matching purses, and she has learned that I spend way too much money on beer.

11. she got me two four-packs of Heady Topper while spending a weekend in VT. Not bad.

dianimal, franklinn and jwheeler87 like this.
  12. Sounds pretty sweet. My wife has always been pretty supportive of me liking beer. Before we dated she didn't like beer, then she eventually tried different beers I would have and grew to like it. She got sick one day after a beer fest, so she's pretty careful about it now, but will still drink some styles and love them. She usually will try whatever I get if it's something new.

She always gets me beer every Christmas, and every birthday I get a gift bag that says "Happy Beer Day." She just goes to my favorite bottle shop. They know her by name (heck some of the brewery reps do too) and says to the manager that it's my birthday, and he picks out some stuff and she puts it in the bag. She also played a big part in my first homebrew a couple months ago, she helped with the brewing process quite a bit. She's a keeper.

13. My wife is amazing. She goes to every beerfest and loves them. She can drink with the best of them (as long as there are no hops involved). She's incredibly supportive and also helps keep me in check from spending all of our money of beer, in a loving non bitchy way. I'm so lucky to have a constant drinking buddy who loves this culture and my passion. Congrats on your anniversary man, my wife and I have been together for almost 9 years and married for a year and a half. Cheers!

14. My Girlfriend tries everything that i try, but she rarely likes them. Her preference is mainly sours and framboise. That said, she is pretty damn supportive of the hobby, getting me tickets to the eclipse release party as well as coming with me to tastings and being my DD. She rocks.

jwheeler87 likes this.
  15. Mojo

Mojo Savant (365) Alabama Jul 21, 2012

My wife is a non beer drinker, but she made a special trip one afternoon to pick up some Breakfast Stout for me. She is now searching for Founder's Harvest for me. What a wife!!! Beautiful and red-headed too!!! (And she bought me the Chimay pack with glass for my birthday. This was my 9 year old son's suggestion.)

16. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Same here, wife got me into it when we were dating. Was more of a bottom-shelf whiskey guy, ha.

Jimjohson, Jwren5 and jwheeler87 like this.
  17. fdkayti

fdkayti Aficionado (145) Illinois Oct 23, 2010

My boyfriend and I met through a mutual love of craft. Our first date was an evening FoBAB session. We are currently in the process of moving in together and are having fun finding places for our collection/empty growlers/homebrew equipment, and are eagerly waiting to find out if the kegerator will fit in the dining area D: Few things do I enjoy more than splitting a bottle with him. The guy rules, we are a good pair.

dlello2 and franklinn like this.
  18. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (435) Maine Jan 23, 2010

my wife is amazing. In college she purchased my true brew kit for Valentine a day. For our wedding it was a keg setup when we bought our house we walked in the basement and ah said this is where we should put the bar, which is where it lies. She is the best drinking buddy buying tickets for a fancy beer event for our anniversary and as a "super taster", she has been trained, I love her insight. I also love that her two favorite beers are double black and cantillion mamouche.

19. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Among several other awesome things, my wife planned a trip to St Pete for Hunahpu's Day for my birthday this year. Best. Wife. Ever!

Mojo likes this.
  20. meanmutt

meanmutt Advocate (650) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

My wife loves beer! She is not quite as into it as I am, but she always likes trying new beers and has a lot of the same favorites as me. As a matter of fact, we are planning a beer-centric 5th anniversary trip to California.

21. My fiance bought me my first home brew setup and tries every new beer I try in her presence...even though everything seems too bitter for her. She has her beers and I have mine, and I do feel like she gets it. She understands the hobby and lifestyle, even if she doesn't exactly love beer. If I can arrange to have Fruli on draft in my house, I'll probably be able to get away with anything.

22. My dog sits by me when I drink so, I'd say she's pretty supportive.

Jimjohson, BS-, tofuspeedstar and 8 others like this.
  23. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

nice. my girlfriend has sought out rare beers for me, bought wall tackers from my favorite breweries, accompanied me to countless events and festivals all over the northeast, and most recently, told me i should tell someone on this board that "they should go fuck themselves" in response to a post. so yeah, she supports me. :cool:

franklinn likes this.
  24. That's a quality bitch.

Jimjohson and a74gent like this.
  25. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

Threads like these keep me single.

Thanks BA!

26. I think the moniker poopchute69 does that. ;)

Envelopes, davey101, BobZ and 6 others like this.
  27. Jwren5

Jwren5 Savant (300) Illinois Aug 26, 2011

My husband is supportive of my hobby. He got me into drinking beer, but I got him into drinking craft beer. He generally does not complain about how much I spend on beer because it means there is delicious beer in the fridge for us to share, which is the best part for me. Much of our spare time has been spent together seeking out new beers or trying new brewpubs. It's pretty awesome!

28. My wife is incredibly supportive...she just accompanied me from Miami to Minnesota for the weekend for Darkness Day, spending the night outside (and in the car) at Surly, on top of driving me around the cities so I could have more beer.

match1112 likes this.
  29. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Have a great fiance who supports my craft beer obsession. She tries everything that I drink, and has developed a fondness for big stouts and sours. We are getting married in May, and are taking a trip through wine country in California for the honeymoon, and she has even plotted out how to get to Russian River, Napa Valley, and other west coast breweries to include in our booze-soaked honeymoon. :)

match1112 likes this.
  30. Skoallrebel

Skoallrebel Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012

31. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

My wife loves my addiction to home brewing and craft beer. She likes a good beer here and there and is willing to try anything. She loves to go to breweries and will stand there and wait for me while I spend an hour at the store looking at beer. She also gets me a Westy 12 for Christmas every year.. Can't ask for much more.

callmeishmALE and match1112 like this.
  32. My wife loves good craft beer. Ya she sometimes gets a little upset when I walk in the door with beer. Then she asks "Wait...are those Alpine growlers for us"? I usually say "Yes". She has a big smile.

33. It's a yes and no for me. She's cool with it sometimes but she just equates me drinking with being an alcoholic and trying to be a "party animal" like some of our other friends still are. Apparently I'm supposed to grow out of it. I turned 21 2 months ago. -_- Out of our friends I'm also the one who drinks craft beer too. I buy $15 4 packs, not $15 cases of 30.
    I work 40 hours a week and go to school full time. 12 hours/semester. I think a beer or two every night or every night at home is deserved but she sees it as me being an alcoholic. Drinking alone is seen as a bad thing. I'm not downing 3 40s of OE. Sigh.
    An alcoholic to me is my dad. He asked me to get him a 6 pack once(tall boy busch) but it was like 12am and he'd been drinking all day and when i said he probably shouldn't he looked at me and said "what am I gonna have for breakfast?" He was half kidding.
    Sorry about the rant. Just been curious about this for awhile but haven't gotten around to starting a thread.
    I'm glad most of y'all have it good.

FlakyBiscuit and match1112 like this.
  34. My fiancé is pretty amazing when it comes to craft beer. She listens to me talk about all the stuff I read online, lets me have a whole beer drawer in the fridge, age some beers in our apartment closet and have a cool bar setup in the dining room. she also doesn't mind the wall tackers and other random beer stuff I have adorning our office at home. The best part is we took a trip to the Dogfish Head Brewery and took the tour and she said yes to me in front of the treehouse when I asked her to marry me there. One of the top 5 moments in my life! now we are planning the wedding and doesn't mind that I want beer cap cufflinks or other random beer things involved.

callmeishmALE likes this.
  35. gdodd12

gdodd12 Aficionado (195) Georgia Oct 1, 2009

I'm the sole income earner, so wife doesn't have any grounds to complain about beer hobby. Though she wouldn't anyway. She mainly sticks to ciders and pumkin beer type things. Though she has enjoyed every sour beer I have given he to taste, but I can't picture her finishing a full glass of one. We are going out this weekend with some family of hers coming into town. She suggested Brick Store for drinks to them because she knows how much I love that place and I never get there.

36. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

I'm getting ready to take my long distance relationship up a level and move to where my girl is. We were at the Michigan Summer Festival (yeah!) and she says to me "I think we should get a kegerator for the new house." Yep, thanks for the confirmation. Definitely a good decision to move in with her!

37. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

My gf and I have an awesome relationship. One of our shared passions has become the world of beer, from cheap sh!t our grandfathers drank right through some of the best crafts there are on the market today. When we first started dated and visited Chicago together for the first time, we were at 10Pin for Sunday Funday and we both enjoyed rounds of Old Style (insert joke here). Living in Cleveland, we have the opportunity to regularly visit Fat Heads, The Brew Kettle, GLBC, Market Garden, Tremont Tap House and other great places that have great rotating tap selections. As i do, she enjoys hopped-up IPAs, Imperial Stouts, and Porter, which I have loved forever. Over the course of 2012, I have become involved in trading here and she has supported my efforts to obtain awesome beers from across the US which aren't available here. Cheers

38. Mostly yes. Especially lately she's been encouraging me to get the seasonals and stuff that I enjoy (She told me I should get a case of Brown Shugga', so I did). However, I when I related to her that I was tempted to drop $30 for 3F Golden Blend, that got a terse "I'm glad you didn't." Some of you might be thinking it was a rookie mistake to share that with her, but it was planned - by demonstrating occasional self control, it buys me some latitude for when I do make that big purchase (I'd guess it's probably a 5:1 ratio of me lamenting walking away from something to actually pulling the trigger.) Also, I can't quite get her on board with taking a trip up to Waterbury, VT.

However, she thoroughly enjoys beer, and going to places like Publick House, Cambridge Common, and the like. We've been to ACBF 3 times, and she told me I should go to Night of the Funk next year. She won't accompany me on that trip, but she's ok with me dropping however much NotF is (like $85?)...although she may have already had a couple when she agreed to that...

39. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

The technical term is "Enabler". Jocks straps are supportive.

;)

Steimie likes this.
  40. My wife is great, and usually fully supportive. Even came on a whirlwind beer tour of southwest MI to hit Bells, Founders, Dark Horse, Arcadia, New Holland, Vivant, Hop Cat, and Three Floyds on the way back. However, supportive tends to turn to tolerant, which turns to less tolerant, after too many trades in a short period of time...