1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who else has a supportive significant other/family?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jwheeler87, Oct 30, 2012.

1. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (160) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

I'm coming up on my third anniversary with my girlfriend in a couple weeks. She used to hate beer, but once we started brewing it together, she couldn't get enough! Now we drink plenty of craft together and she gets just as excited as me when we go to beer festivals.
  2. My wife tolerates my drinking "hobby." She doesn't drink hardly ever, but still finds a rare beer here or there that she loves, like TommyKnocker Pumpkin Ale. She let's me buy and consume whatever I want, whenever I want even though she'd prefer I stop altogether. So I really can't complain.
    BobZ likes this.
  3. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

When I first met my girlfriend her favorite beer was Newcastle....Now she only wants to drink Cascade sours, big citrusy west coast DIPA's like Hop Venom, and she called dibs on the last bottle of Breakfast Stout that I have in the fridge.....Love isn't cheap, but having a cute girl that's always down to go check out a new brewery, go to an event, or even a beercation is SO DAMN AWESOME!!!
    dcloeren and franklinn like this.
  4. mani

mani Savant (295) New Jersey Jun 16, 2012

My wife loves craft beer, as long as it's not an IPA. Her favorites are stouts. Actually, we're going the to the NYC beer fest as part of our anniversary.
  5. JJWIGHT

JJWIGHT Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 14, 2012

My wife enjoys most of the same beers that I do, she just doesn't support how much I spend on them;).
  6. My wife has recently developed a love for sours. She has totally blown up our beer budget.
  7. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

I'm a noob to the craft beer thing, but my fiancee has been supportive thus far. It's just a big departure for me as I've never been much of a drinker. Just placed my first online order though and we're both anxious for it to arrive to try some new things.
  8. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Mine drinks pretty much everything I do. In general our tastes are pretty close to the same as well.
    Unless it conflicts with her work schedule, she's at all of the events and places I am.
  9. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

This sounds almost exactly my my girlfriend and I. She hates beer (she has tried probably half of the beers I've bought since we started dating 2 years ago and a few at craft bars but she has only liked DFH Positive Contact and a handful of ciders) and I feel bad if I want to go to a bottle shop or hit up a brewery when we're on vacation but she is always suggesting it because she can tell when I want to.

For example, her family lives in Riverside, CA and I was recently at a local craft bar talking to the manager about how I have never tried Alpine Brewing. He was talking about where it is and she chimed in with "Why don't we go there next time we go to California?" I'm like "You know that takes us like an hour and half out of the way?" and she says "So? Maybe we can just get a hotel there for the night so you can try more stuff."

She also lets me plan at least parts of our trips around breweries and bottle shops (like our upcoming trip to Portland).

And almost every time I go to a bottle shop with her and she can tell that I am having trouble choosing between brews (because about 75% of the time there are too many new things for me to afford) she will offer to buy me one or two. I say no 99% of the time, but she'll just take the bottle(s) and walk away, totally ignoring me.

I recently made a joking comment about getting a bottle of Utopias 10th Anniversary for Xmas and I was saying it expecting her to laugh, but instead she said "Is that what you want?"

Its awesome knowing that she is so into supporting me. She even defends me when people are like "What do you mean you bought him a $20 beer for his birthday!?"
    RyanMM likes this.
  10. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

My girlfriend is very accepting of the beer hobby. She never makes any comments about the frequency of beer purchases, trades, or tasting events. She even "gave the okay" to having a keggerator in our livingroom! She wasn't a beer drinker at all when we met 18 months ago, but now she would tell you some of her favorite beers are Bramble Rye and NG Apple Ale. And I have to give her credit for all of the beer-relating rants and stories she's lisened to....definitely too many to count. Oh, and she loves visiting new breweries too, which is huge.
  11. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Some of you guys are insanely lucky!

My gf doesnt really care too much for beer at all. She likes ciders and lambics but when it comes to buying a special release or wanting to go to a brewery or me planning on going to one of those it isi a simple eye roll, sigh and then reluctance before she says ok.

It really sucks that i couldnt even be happy when i bought my first bottle of Naked Evil and while i was ecstatic that i finally found it my high was brought back down with a groan and a "i cant believe you spent that much on a beer"
    BobZ likes this.
  12. Not at first but my wife supports my beer geekiness (except when I have 1 too many Hop Slams). She likes an occasional Petrus or Octoberfest but always is open to visiting beer places when we travel. She also just picked me up 3 120's for my birthday :confused:. I think the fact that I can cook buys me a lot of beer support:)
    franklinn likes this.
  13. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

My wife and I have now been married for 10 years this past Sept. When we first me, I was just starting to get into craft beer and she gravitated towards it as well. So, we have kind of taken our beer journey together for the most part.

In fact, for our 1 year anniversary, we spent a week in San Diego/Coronado, highlighted by visits to Pizza Port, Coronado Brewing Company, a handful of visits to various bottleshops and attending the San Diego Festival of Beer. It was an awesome trip to say the least! She qualifies as more than supportive in my book.
  14. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

My lady also loves good craft beer. We regularly go to our favorite local pubs and we take vacations to England where we revel in the joys of real cask ale. It's very nice having someone so close to you share your love of good beer!
  15. DonDirkA

I have a question for you about England. I went in March and was psyched about trying the beer, which was awesome (real cask just has that phenomenal woody taste). But did you find yourself disappointed after a while? I am constantly buying different beers here so my tastebuds don't get bored and I found that after 10 days of drinking their ales I was super bored. There were dozens of brands and varieties, but they all kind of tasted the same..
  16. Mark

Mine is almost the opposite. She has never acquired a taste for porter or stout yet loves most IPA's. What is really special is she loves and shares my passion for real cask ale. We seek it out at home and it makes our vacations to England that much more fun as she is always up for the next pub stop.
  17. Mark

Don, not at all! I find that the taste difference is subtle most of the time yet still discernable I however realize that we are all different. On our last trip I consumed 42 pints over a 7 night trip so I was pounding away at about 6 plus a day. I think my most indulgent day was 8 pints spread throughout. My sentimental favorite is Young's ordinary bitter of which I had at least 16 pints or more of those 42. No I just love real ale and while I always have more than my share of Young's I always try as many different beers as possible. One interesting thing that occurs to me after every trip to England is how crappy even my favorite domestic craft taste after a heavy and steady diet of real ale. It lasts about 3-6 days after which all is well again. I will say too that I do take a week break from beer after getting home.
  18. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

She doesn't object to my drinking beer on weekend mornings when live English Premier League matches are broadcast here in Massachusetts, and to return the favor I don't say a word on weekend mornings when she starts on a bowlful of weed before finishing her first cup of coffee. Domestic bliss involves two parts holding one's tongue and one part looking the other way at opportune moments.
  19. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

My wife doesn't drink beer at all, although I can occasionally convince her to have a sip or 2 of a sour.

Despite that, she is willing to come with me to brewery events, to festivals, and puts up with me putting together bottle shares at family events. She knows I like it, so she's cool with it and supports it.

Only time she's even commented was when my beer fridge was so full I had to start storing stuff in the pantry - she drew the line and said that all beer must fit in the fridge, and no more buying until I drank it down some. I was happy to comply!
  20. DonDirkA

My favorite was Everard's Original. It also happened to be the strongest ale I found while I was there (5%). The guys in the pub kept giving me a hard time about liking "the strong stuff". I did notice some small differences and nuances, and I never really got tired of it (because they were still delicious), but I just wanted some more extreme variety. Like if someone had a stout or a porter instead of just bitters and the one "IPA" I found. The only stout I ever saw was Guinness (and a bottle of Brain's Original Stout, which I brought home and enjoyed immensely).
  21. I got my wife into craft beer by introducing her to Allagash White, a great gateway brew, during grad school at this bar we'd usually hang out at once a week or so when we first started dating. From there, I've just gotten her to try different styles, and she's pretty open to new things but definitely lets me know what works for her and what doesn't. She likes hoppy beers that aren't huge hop bombs, saisons, sours, wits, and (a recent development) BA Barleywines. She's not a stout drinker, but she goes to BASC and ORF releases with me to snag 8 bottles and drive home, which makes her a champion. She'll indulge beer geek talk but tires of it long before I do. She doesn't help me homebrew, but she supports my hobby as long as nothing beyond making yeast starters happens inside. Recently, she said, "Hey, why don't we go up to Vermont for Thanksgiving and so you can go to Hill Farmstead?" Score. Awesome beer wife.
    BobZ, dcloeren, franklinn and 2 others like this.
  22. black13

black13 Savant (390) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

My wife hates beer. She doesn't even like the smell of it, particularly BCS (my favorite). She's to the point where she just laughs at me when I ask her to try beers I think she might like. But, she supports my hobby 100%. For someone that doesn't like beer, she goes out of her way to let me enjoy my hobby.

--We've gone to beer releaeses as a family. They all stay in the hotel and I sit in line freezing, but she's still there with me.
    --She scores me some crazy beers from local BA's (like a magnum of Cherry Adam)
    --She goes to beer releases for me when I have to work or I'm not able to go myself.
    --She hosts tasting at our house for my tasting group and has a blast even though she never has a drink.
    --She planned and hosted a murder mystery/tasting for my last birthday.
    --She allowed me to comendeer a portion of the basement to build a beer cellar. And hasn't complained even though I've added a beer fridge and wine cooler (for Cantillon).
    --She's agreed to visit Belguim on our next vacation so I can visit Cantillon, and other breweries of course.

All in all, I feel fortunate to have such a great wife.
  23. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

like x 10000000000

..you guys suck lol
  24. women be shoppin'
    Pando, DonDirkA and alfrantzell like this.
  25. She likes everything I do with the exception of BB stouts (I give it another year before she likes those too).
    I'm pretty sure she has had more of our Breakfast Stout keg than I have :mad:

Otnly thing she isn't a fan of is the drive to Hill Farmstead, but she still does it :D

Did I mention my birthday present was all the piece parts for the keezer?
    Or the homebrew kit the in-laws got me for Christmas?
  26. My GF who I have been seeing for a year now is Allergic to beer. Well.. technically the pollen from hops. I am an avid home brewer and craft beer geek so this may seem somewhat of a dilemma. However she is very supportive and always tastes a sip of my homebrew, suggests we go on tours and tastings ( more samples for me) and even picked me up some fresh hops at the local homebrew store. When I think about it Im kind of glad she is not a beer lover because its helped us grow stronger learning about each others different interests and we just appreciate the others passion for what they enjoy
  27. Swaxy

Swaxy Aspirant (40) Pennsylvania Mar 11, 2011

My wife tries most of my beers and enjoys most but doesn't really get that hyped by it, nor drink on her own, plus she's been pregnant or nursing during the bulk of the last few years when I've really been going all out.

However, for father's day this past year she got me a sixer of Westy 8 and 12 (three of each) and 3 Kuhnhenn BB4D (and apparently tried to find some permutation of Dark Lord but wisely decided it was cost prohibitive). Wasn't expecting it at all, have never asked what she paid (also wise I think).

She was also smart enough to, when trying to pitch the idea of using my vacation to take a road trip to northern michigan to visit her brother, first do enough research to say "we will be able to stop at Founders, Kuhnhenn and Jolly Pumpkin" when making her proposal.
  28. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Won't laugh here,it is one of my go to lagers at a decent price.Also my wife of 20 yrs laughs every so often at some of the style and or funny names of what I bring home.She also says she gets tippy after having a sip of my Ocktoberfest.Cheers
  29. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I won't say "supportive" but I will say my wife is very understanding. Does she wish I wouldn't spend what I do on beer? Sure. Does she still DD for me at tastings and festivals, Yes indeed. She doesn't like beer but she will still at least try almost everything I do. She also brought me back some Odell beer (without me pressuring her) from a business trip to Colorado and has muled for me so she is A-OK in my book.
    BobZ likes this.
  30. I just got my ass chewed out for my beer buying. so not even close here.
    BobZ, wolfeman007 and dsal89 like this.
  31. My girlfriend only likes stouts, but she'll try everything I do. She loves beer but can never drink a whole beer (more for me). She hates sours as well, so once again more for me.
  32. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Congrats on that man. Youll appreciate it later in life when you go to releases or bars solo because she doesnt like beer. Wont take a sip anymore. She does tolerate trading and my glasses though. So small battles.

Cheers!
  33. Gotta give a shout out to my girlfriend here as well. Been together almost 2 years - last year she got me a homebrew kit for Valentine's Day, and enrolled me in a 'rare beer club' for my birthday. Our road trips/vacations usually include at least 1 brewery stop, and this past Saturday she drove me home after a BCBS filled Saturday in Baltimore. I've found that as long as I include her in my beer-geekery, she's cool w/ it, and gets into it. If I'm all of a sudden running off to tastings/bottle shares multiple times a week, and not inviting her, she might be a little less down w/ that.
  34. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (500) Florida Aug 10, 2012

My wife is pretty chill about my beer obsession....i get some static about the Fed Ex deliveries occasionally though ;)
  35. jriggins6

jriggins6 Savant (340) Colorado May 18, 2011

Every new beer I try she always gets the first sip. Sure I have nearly killed her with some serious hoppy beer. But she takes it like a trooper. Lovers her big stouts and some summer/wheat ales. We were on a date for our 3 year anniversary and she asked if we could go to the Brick Store Pub. She ended up trying a few and fell in love with St. Bernardus ABT 12.
  36. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (525) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

Well, first I have to say I get a huge kick out of all of the supportive "girlfriends" out there! :)

My girlfriend liked beer, loved hiking, loved baseball, really loved football, etc. etc........ once that same woman became my wife, eh, not so much, now she hates "all sports", hates "hiking", doesn't really care for most beers. :eek::D Over the first five years of matrimony the real person starts to emerge!:mad:

As one of my best friends said when I told him I was engaged, "Once they catch the bus, they stop running!":p

If you've got a supportive wife at all you're beating the odds! ;)

If she supports your craft beer hobby (or any of your hobbies) after a few years, you sir are a lottery winner!!:D
  37. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

On the day of my wedding, standing in the basement of the church with her dad. He says " You don't have to do this. I've got the poles in the truck and it's not too late to go fishing."
  38. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

The night I met my wife she couldn't get over why I had so many different beers in my house. She was under the impression that Miller Lite was good beer and that is all she needed to know. So the next night I put together like a six beer sampler of beers I thought she might like. Brown Shugga, Franziskaner, Maudite and a few others (nothing too crazy, just good beers) and she was hooked.

She is now a craft beer enthusiast and loves everything other than sours. She is a total hop head, which is perfect because I am too, and loves to pop open stouts regularly when it cools down. We have been to a few breweries together and just enjoy drinking great craft beer together. She actually encouraged me to start brewing my own beer and was very cool with me buying a kegerator as long as I put a keg of Live Oak Hef in it every now and then. Needless to say, I couldn't have found a better one!
  39. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (630) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I wife is fully supportive to my craft beer nerdiness. Be it beers, shirts, stickers, glassware, or even surprise trips to bars or brewpubs for some special beers, she is always surprising me. The rare complaint usually comes around after I drop a little too much money in a weekend on beer.
  40. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

Not only is my girlfriend supportive of my beer hobby/geekness but she is slowly converting to a beer geek as well. She has gone to Sexual Chocolate, Barrel-Aged Sexual Chocolate and Barrel-Aged Hunahpu's releases with her friends as mules, for me, because I had to work and has enjoyed all of those beers. She hangs out with my beer geek buddies and tries every bottle/can/growler that gets opened. She even bought 2 bottles of Black Tuesday for herself online today!
    dcloeren, DonDirkA and ehammond1 like this.