1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who else has a supportive significant other/family?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jwheeler87, Oct 30, 2012.

1. AJSweeney

AJSweeney Aspirant (40) Sep 6, 2012

My husband is not only supportive of my love of beer, but even agreed to spend our holiday in Belgium this past spring, where we visited the Cantillon brewery and drank to our hearts' content. He's a lot more disciplined than I am about seeking out new beers, and he turns me on to a lot of new brews I wouldn't have tried otherwise, so I guess I'll keep him around for a while : )

luwak, avalonct and DennyCrane like this.
  2. hotpipes29

hotpipes29 Aficionado (120) Ohio Dec 22, 2008

luwak likes this.
  3. hotpipes29

hotpipes29 Aficionado (120) Ohio Dec 22, 2008

My wife Erin is incredible! 5 yrs Of Darklord Day. Mi beervacation twice a year. Hoarders Society for birthday. Researches beer places on every trip. Wants to homebrew this year.

Awesome!

dsal89 likes this.
  4. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

My hands support my beer drinking so much that they often carry the beer for me, and even feed it to me!

tcanaday and DonDirkA like this.
  5. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Old story but my wife and I will have been married 32 years in May. She's French, and her father introduced me to Belgian beer back in 1982, (the beginning of the end for my liver). Since then she bought me my first homebrewing setup and has arranged beer focused vacations to Belgium, Germany, Maine, and even Alabama. She is the driving force behind our annual Oktoberfest where we serve 30-40 gallons of homebrew(not all mine), 100 pounds of sausage and assorted side dishes, She bought me a conical for a Christmas present once, and is planning a large brewshed/man cave for me in the backyard. She is the ultimate supporter, and I'm often not worthy

6. Tell me about this beercation to Alabama; I grew up there and am curious where you went.

7. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Savant (360) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

My wife rocks. For our five year anniversary, she suggested a road trip to Chicago where we could hit some of my favorite breweries (Ale Asylum, Half Acre, Three Floyds, etc)... and she doesn't even drink much. On the way into Madison, I had planned to check into our hotel and then head over, but she said "why don't we just hit the brewery first?". I fell in love all over again.

dsal89 likes this.
  8. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

The year that Bama approved of beer over 6% ABV we went to the Magic City Beer fest in B'ham. We stayed in B'ham for 4 days and enjoyed some excellent local beers. The great thing about the festival was that while all the locals were going to the tents serving the high ABV beers my wife and I were hitting the Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi and other local breweries serving lower ABV beers the locals were accustomed to.

9. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Mine bought me a case of Rochefort 10 for my birthday...enough said. KEEPER....

beerboy9960 and match1112 like this.
  10. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Me. She's awesome.

11. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

Check this out guys....my wife doesn't really dig beer as much as me, but she's more than tolerable about my new hobby. I started drinking sierra Nevada and Great lakes back in college along with Sammy Smith's and a few others . This was the middle 90's. Now its all I drink. She likes Golden Monkeys better than anything else, but does get exxcited whe GL Christmas ale comes out. This same wonderful lady went out and bought me my first kegorater last month and even yesterday went to fill a growler for me of CBC's Bodhi and calls me and says 'i got you a 4pk of Founders Harvest ale. They have two more left so should I just get those also?'. And not to sound like a total Dick, but she also 'shares' her girlfriend with me (i actually introduced them because I used to do them both in high school but neither knew about the other one then). So I would say that I have the absolute beat woman in the world. And she even says that if Ohio ever legalizes weed I am to promptly quit my job, buy a tractor, and start farming as much herb as I can. What do you guys think?!!

12. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

My wife has always been fairly understanding. She's waited out in the freezing rain at 2am for beer releases with me. Planned trips to DE to visit the DFH brewery as a Christmas Gift. Designed, edited, and hand-drawn/painted logos and artwork for my homebrew, tolerated all of the space and money taken up by my homebrewing, etc.

Maybe best yet, a few weeks ago I asked her if we could plan a trip to Chicago for Zwanze Day and she didn't even blink, she just asked what the dates were so she could try to get off work. :D

Yeah, I'm lucky. Glad to see many of you are too!

dsal89 likes this.
  13. Last year I bought two cases of HopSlam and planned on hiding one before she got home because she knew how much they cost (like $90/case). She came home early and saw them on the table and said "2 cases of Hopslam???" I thought I was in trouble then she said "You've been talking about this damn beer for 6 months and it finally comes out and you only got 2 cases?". So she went out and got me 2 more.

luwak likes this.
  14. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

I admit most pubs tend to carry mainly session bitters and pale ales. Those are my favorite styles in England and I seek out brews under 5%. We had a Dark Star Hophead last trip which was very US IPA like. The few times I've had a cask porter over there it was incredible!

DonDirkA likes this.
  15. dckepley

dckepley Savant (365) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

I have a supportive significant other.

16. Was able to talk my wife, who is 36 weeks pregnant, into visiting the Westbrook Brewery this past weekend during an anniversary trip to Charleston. Oh yeah, and a quick trip to CBX. Love you babe!
    P.S. Springing for a prenatal massage was crucial. :)

17. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

My wife is a trooper.. She's not a beer drinker, but will surprise me sometimes and order a porter, or a wheat-fruit beer from time to time.

She's tried a sip of everything I've had, and hated some, thought some were okay, and others she just shrugged.

However, the icing on the cake, is that I'm a homebrewer. I've made some shit beers, but I've also made some friggin' incredible beers, not just by my notes, but people that I share them with. She's tried everyone of them. Infact, I make her drink my hydrometer samples with me too... Uncarbed, green beer, with suspended yeast in there..

That is love. She also sits out there and is my assistant brewer, even though she'll drink wine, and my hard cider as a staple.

luwak and dsal89 like this.
  18. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

I would think so.

Her favorite beer is tart lychee, every trade I've done I've tried to get something that I think she'd enjoy. So far she has!

She hates IPAs though, lol.

19. ProudBeerSnob

ProudBeerSnob Savant (440) New York Apr 27, 2004

The good news: I always have someone to drink with.

The bad news: the IPAs go fast.

luwak likes this.
  20. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

This one's easy, my wife is tops. She frequents areas out of town that carry craft beers, and she often picks me up all sorts of fun stuff, unexpectedly and everything. And brings bombers of IPA's, and session IPA's and other stuff I'm looking to try. And more even, listens to me ramble on, pointlessly sometimes, of the merits of all this great brewing, and occasionally tolerates me reading reviews of beers I'm just having, and sometimes hears me be disappointed, and other times transported but always listens. And if this wasn't enough, she drives me to craft brew meccas from time to time, and then and becomes the designated. And she shares lambics with me. Great, she is.

21. trancesk8er

trancesk8er Savant (255) California Jan 19, 2011

My girl of 6+ years a daughter, and son on the way has got me things just cause like... A stonewall ale, the firestone 13th anniversary box set, and 02 vertical epic. Buys me tickets to stone 12.12.12., bruery RS society memberships (obviously we live in socal). I don't know if she wants me out of the house or is just super supportive lol. She talks me into going to events but also told me I was silly for thinking about passing up a job offered to me by the brewmaster of the local brewery.....so I took it and now my beer geek-ness is sponsored lol. I have it pretty good.

luwak, dsal89 and queens1130 like this.
  22. Moc513

Moc513 Savant (305) New York May 24, 2012

My wife is the best when it comes to supporting my love of craft beer. She does not mind when I come home weekly with beers from the bottle shop, when I trade for beers on BA or ordering online. She is also allowing me to build a cooler in the basement for cellaring beer and to store wine. The part that is the best though is that she travels for work and will stop at stores when she has time to bring me beers that we cannot get at home. She will also bring myself and my drinking buddies to the local tasting events in the area. She does all of this and does not even like beer. She will take a sip of mine to try it, but it is not for her.

23. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

It sounds like most of our significant others are supportive, now do you all think its just because they want to support us or because they see that this is a passion and we don't get all sloppy drunk all the time so its cool? People have commented to my lady that it seems like I drink too much and she just tells them that I only usually have one, MAYBE two beers, in a night. The only time I have more is when I have friends. I think if I spent this amount of money on beer and just got sloshed all the time she'd have left me long ago.

24. Genuine

Genuine Savant (465) Connecticut May 7, 2009

My girl is very supportive of my Brewing and being a beer geek. She even helps out with brewing when she can. She'll go with me to tastings, and she found out that she likes a lot of belgians and frambois. She's not a huge IPA or Stout fan, but at least when we go places, she can usually find a beer she likes. She's more into wine, so whenever we go to a tasting that includes local wines, she's over on that side, hah!

25. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Sounds like your 17.

26. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I think you should seek therapy.

DonDirkA likes this.
  27. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

Lol, nope...add 20 yrs fellas.

28. cpjtr9559

cpjtr9559 Initiate (0) New York Nov 30, 2007

my wife is going on a 6 hr round trip beer run with me

DonDirkA likes this.
  29. Like I've said before, my significant other only supports my beer drinking when I have too much in to the house. Then its lockdown until I've drunk the overflow and spent a few pennies. Its a strategy which works.

30. My wife's pretty awesome too. She goes to beer festivals, got me a certificate from the brew store for Christmas, and is willing to go to GABF next year.

31. My wife lets me slip away to Belgium now and then with her brother, son and whoever else for a beer hunt. Sometimes she goes too........:)

32. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

My wife is so supportive and selfless that she left me so I could stop spending money on her and put it all toward my beers!!

I'm kidding. She doesn't drink but gets just as excited as me when I get a trade shipment in and even got me a great array of beers for Christmas.

33. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (555) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

My girlfriend is the one who got me into good beer. Specifically IPAs, and now I'm starting to dabble in trying the stouts she enjoys.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  34. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Going to Riverside, CA to visit her family, making a trip to SD for Stone, Lost Abbey and Toronado then another to Orange for Provisions. Nice/

35. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (550) California Aug 13, 2011

I wish I HAD a significant other ha.

36. If I ever meet anyone in the near future, I'm pretty sure I won't be supporting their love of good beer, rather expanding it. What can I say? People who love beer are sexy!

sind310, dsal89 and teamwiggum like this.
  37. The girlfriend brought her own BCBCS to my fam's xmas eve gathering. I appreciate her.

38. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

My wife has my full support to continue to support my beer advocacy.

JxExM likes this.
  39. AndrewBV

AndrewBV Savant (275) Connecticut Jul 13, 2012

My girlfriend is from WI, so whenever she's there, she makes sure to pick up New Glarus for us (she loves the Raspberry Tart just as much as I do), and she always offers to buy me anything I want and can't get on my own. She's totally fine with my spending and drinking habits as well (granted, I keep them in check).

In return, I surprise her with hard cider whenever I find something I think she'd like and offer her a taste of all my beer, even though I know there's a 99% chance that she won't like any of it (hey, maybe she'll eventually find something she likes--it never hurts to offer, and she knows and appreciates that).

I'm relatively new to beer (turned 21 over summer), so as a Christmas present, she even bought me a nice little book about the history of beer and definitions of various beer styles. She's awesome like that.

40. SStein

SStein Savant (380) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

My wife has been extremely supportive of my beer habit. While traveling, she is always on the lookout for bottle shops, will keep our daughter busy while I look, and as long as we have money allows me to buy. We plan trips with stopping at a brewery in mind with the rest of our activities. And while being new to Belgium drove a 3 hour round trip with our 1. 5 year old to pick me up some Westy XII as I had to work on the day we were scheduled for pick up.

callmeishmALE likes this.