1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who else has a supportive significant other/family?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jwheeler87, Oct 30, 2012.

1. I do all the research and acquisition work but she enjoys almost every beer I bring home. She also loves to hang out at the local bottle shop and craft beer bars.

Last time we were at the bottle shop she had a 10oz Terrapin wake and bake and a 10oz of Mother Earth Silent Night.

winbassett likes this.
  2. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

my wife bought me my first homebrew kit, a keggerator as a wedding present, never misses a beer festival, and doesn't mind incorporating brewery tours and visits into our vacations. with twins on the way (8 mo pregnant now), we have a pretty solid cellar going of all the beers she's missed and we want to enjoy together.

dsal89 and Pando like this.
  3. my special 'lady friend' doesn't care as long as she gets her wild blue. :confused:

4. I'll be the first one here to say.. My wife IS NOT supportive of my beer habit. I use a separate credit card to make purchases a beer stores, make sure I'm never left "logged in" to my Fedex account, ship and receive all my trades from work and sometimes use alibis when at beer festivals. My wife IS a wonderful caring woman, she just thinks I'm crazy when it comes to my beer habit. Although, when she told be she bought herself a $300 purse while Christmas shopping the other day, I then told her how I ordered $250 worth of Belgian Lambics on line a month ago... She smiled.

dsal89, GennyCreamAle and mjshearer1 like this.
  5. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Supportive of my drinking? Not exactly.....

[​IMG]

6. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (520) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Basically this.

dsal89 likes this.
  7. Even my beer friends refer to my wife as the best beer wife in the world, even though she doesn't drink beer. I try not to drag her along to too many festivals, but she drove 4 hours with myself and two friends to Hill Farmstead's Harvest Fest and then carted us around that night to Waterbury bars in the pouring rain. Plus, she drove all the way home the next day while the three guys were passed out and hungover.

When we lived in NH, she was famous for saying, "Do you want me to drive you guys to Amesbury for some beers?"

8. My fiance was a BMC guy before we met- now he'll never go back to that stuff and he doesn't understand why a lot of his friends won't deviate from budweiser.

He loves to try new beers and go on brewpub date adventures with me. We are hoping to hit a few brewpubs on our honeymoon.

He is now really into stouts, porters, strong ales, and different seasonal beers. He hates sours, really funky wild ales and IPAs- which are some of my favorites. I don't mind not sharing an IPA- but 750ml of Cantillon is a little much for me in one sitting. He also kinda finds waiting in line for hours at a beer release kinda dorky.

9. So today, like most football Sundays, my wife and I visited her aunt and uncle's for the game. They're really into craft beer and always have awesome stuff on hand. They take beer vacations and come back with 6-7 cases every time. I always get the call from my aunt-in-law from a bottle shop she's never been as she goes row by row to see if there's anything I want, which is much appreciated.

My mom and stepdad are cool about everything too. The aren't into craft beer, but always keep something for Sierra Nevada in the fridge for me. What about you all? Any cool beer family members you'd like to brag on?

jglowe77 and frankthetank86 like this.
  10. WebGuyMike

WebGuyMike Savant (395) Florida Dec 5, 2012

I've only recently discovered craft beers and I just found out at Christmas that my little brother is into craft too. He has tried a lot more than I have and had some great suggestions for me.

He also helped our dad select a local brew from his area for me which is how I got a bomber of Cocoa Beach Pale Ale.

My girlfriend loves to try new beers. She is on vacation right now in VA visiting family. She took my wish list with her and said shes bringing back about 24 items off of it. I am stoked to see what all she found.

11. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

No, my brother makes fun of my beer all the time.

callmeishmALE and lsummers like this.
  12. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Same here! I take it in stride, and occasionally drink what he's having.

13. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (190) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

I've converted a lot of my family. Just find something they are really into...like coffee. Give them a nice coffee stout and watch their interest grow.

14. meigs3

meigs3 Aficionado (205) Alabama Nov 21, 2009

I have a freezer/kegerator and two years ago I asked my wife what she wanted for Christmas and she said another tap on the kegerator! So now it is a 3 tapper!!!

fujindemon74 and callmeishmALE like this.
  15. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

my wife (rarely enjoys a beer) and dad (never) are always on the lookout for my favorites. they've surprised me with Pliny, Blind Big, Enjoy By, Parabola, Sucaba, Firestone Anniversaries, Damnations, FW XV, Stone Verticals, Hoptimum, etc.

16. bman_85

bman_85 Savant (305) Wisconsin Sep 10, 2012

Immediate family lives out in Nevada so every time I get out there my stepdad always has obsidian in the fridge. Sis also runs around Vegas picking up seasonal beers for me. Wife mostly just shakes her head

17. I wish. The wife can't understand why I want to "get more beer when you already have some in the fridge and in the basement".
    Congrats to you though.

18. You sir, are winning.

19. Did you just poor that beer into a wine glass? That's my life!

20. I still get that type of question from my wife even though she loves craft beer. It's still a hard argument to make that beer to me is like scarves or shoes to her. Ah well.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  21. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

No. It makes no sense to anyone. Beer trading is even harder to explain....

LostTraveler and callmeishmALE like this.
  22. My retired aunt & uncle get me some kick ass beer around the holidays & my wife says she supports my beer purchases to a point...the point being that I have many really good beer options whenever she may want one.

Being a little urban achiever, challenge accepted.

callmeishmALE likes this.
  23. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

My wife is as much an appreciator as I am, and my sister is a fan.

24. My wife is slowly converting to craft brews from mostly wine and never bud/miller/coors. She supports my drinking and home brewing habits which is nice.

The rest of my family either doesn't understand, hates the taste or thinks I'm eccentric (or something worse). I find that I do not care about their opinions.

25. rolandboy

rolandboy Savant (250) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

my father-in-law gifted me all of his home brew equipment. he's still a huge craft beer fan but his hobbies just took a turn. every time we go to their house he always picks up 2 mix and match sixers of craft brew for everyone to enjoy. i was also pleasantly surprised when my wife said to me "we should just buy FBS by the case...i'm tired of running out". twist my arm!

26. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

I mow my mom's lawn and she buys me what ever beers i want and all i have to do is let her have a few sips. Does this count?

callmeishmALE likes this.
  27. It does indeed. That's a pretty damn good payment method.

28. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

My brother in law doesn't geek out, but he drinks mostly good stuff. I've managed to convert my dad and sister, but at the moment I can't get them to drink anything that isn't a chocolate stout. Was cool at first, now it's getting a little annoying.

29. The other problem is acquiring glassware as well. "How many glasses do you need?". Ugh! MORE dammit!

30. My parents definitely support it. My mom likes to try whatever I bring home from college and work. She even keeps refridgerator space for when my stock runs a bit low, so I can have a spot to put new bottles. lol

I also got home brewing essentials and my dad is going to brew my first batch with me this tuesday. I'm very excited!

dsal89 and callmeishmALE like this.
  31. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Besides my wife (likes anything bourbon barrel aged), only my sister and brother in law enjoy good beers. Even then it's a stretch to get them to like a wide variety of styles. At a VT bar this week, when handed a snifter full of Tilquin my bro in law said, "yep, smells like shit". Oh well, more for me.

32. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

My 76 yr old Mom lives in San Diego and will shag special release bottles for me if I can't get down there.

craft_shannie and gtermi like this.
  33. Yes and no. My wife is very supportive. Now she's picky because she got sick once, but always gets me some awesome beers for special occasions, she'll partake semi-regularly. For my birthday and CHristmas she goes to a bottle shop by us where we're friends with the manager and I get a sweet hook up. Her family is about 3 hours away, but they'll usually have some type of crowd pleasing craft beer in the fridge (Sam's, Seirra Nevada, Saranac, ect.). Outside of that my brother drives for Budweiser if that counts. Outside of that, zero support, some people in my family think people drink any form of alcohol because they have a problem.

34. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

My wife doesn't mind that I have 120 beers in the garage fridge, but that's where the support ends. Which is fine.

35. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

This.

With pretty much everything I do, they think it's a "fase". They do seem to take more kindly to my love of beer than my love of video games, as I've gotten beer-related Xmas presents the past two years. In the form of books on beer of course, not actual beer. That would be taking things a step too far!

davey101 likes this.
  36. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Most disturbing typo ever? Probably not. Most disturbing typo ths morning? Yes.

37. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

My wife is ten kinds of beertastic! We went to several events during Asheville beer week for our anniversary. Went to Funky Fest and Terrapin this summer. Repeat trips are on the 2013 schedule along with AHA conference. She loves saisons, sour beers, and stouts. She never asks why I bought more carboys, another couple bags of malt, or another 5 pounds of hops. She dropped me off at the malt house to drink 8% homebrew at 10 am before she went to a job interview, then we went and had some barrel aged Catawba Imperial Stout as a pre-lunch snack. I am a lucky man.

In-laws are Southern Baptist. FIL is semi-retired preacher. That being said, they're pretty nice about my hobby. Her mom even sent me over some old flip tops she found at a yard sale, thinking I could use them for homebrew.

38. My sister and brother-in-law bought me tickets to join them at the Atlantic City Beer Festival about 4 years ago.
    Even though I would buy some craft beer prior to this, I would say that after attending I really became an enthusiast. Since then I even did some homebrewing and became a Beer Advocate.

39. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

My family doesn't so much support me as they do enable me. Does this count?