1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who else has a supportive significant other/family?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jwheeler87, Oct 30, 2012.

1. My wife is a fan of craft. Not a full blown geek like me, but a fan. She was far more into wine when I met her, but now she's into both wine and craft beer equally.

My dad is essentially a living Reinhietsgebot law. He's from Germany, and hates the American macros just as much we do. However, he thinks any beer with additives beyond barley, yeast, hops, and water is an abomination. He spits fireballs at anything brewed with stuff like coffee, herbs, chocolate, aged in bourbon barrels, etc. etc. He has a VERY narrow preference zone for beer. He thinks Boston Lager is a "proper" beer. He also drinks stella, ipswich ale, and Harpoon IPA. He'll occasionally likes another local New England IPA (like Ipswich) but all other IPAs beyond Harpoon are "extreme' to him. Any stout tastes "burned".

The rest of my family just thinks my beer hobby is "cute".
  2. "stella" as in Stella Artois which is brewed with "maize"?

[​IMG]
    mechamifune likes this.
  3. My wife doesn't drink beer at all but is very supportive....she will pick things up for me that she thinks I will like and usually accompanies me to releases (or did, not much of that now with kids). I've also converted my dad to craft over the years and he always brings stuff down from chicago that I can't get down in the SE.
  4. haha, yes, wasn't aware of that but doesn't surprise me at all. However, there's no use in trying to inform my father of this, or of who owns Stella, etc. He just turned 75 and is set in his stubborn ways. I don't try to change what he's dirnking at all, but when we talk about beer, I used to drop a fun fact or two about what he's drinking, however it hits deaf ears or he doesn't want to hear it.
  5. He might be upset to find out that the practice of using large amounts of rice in brewing was common and popular in Germany (except of course Bavaria) before the RHG was imposed in the early 1900s.
    I pinched this snippet translated from an old German publication;
    Amongst malt surrogates, rice is gaining in popularity from year to year. It is used as an additive to the grist in the proportion of 1:2 or 3:5; and beers brewed with the addition of rice are renowned for their especially pleasant taste and clear pale colour. Since rice is slightly cheaper than malt and with regard to sugar content is superior (100 kg of rice is equal to 120-130 kg malt in this respect), so its use in beer is financially advantageous.
    Acknowledgements as usual to patto1ro , here is the actual article;
    http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/rice-beer.html
    The suggestion is that American brewers absorbed the idea of using rice from Germany.

Back to the OP-was having a pub lunch today and wanted an extra pint ot so-asked my wife if she would drive back, she said fine, so back to the bar I went. That's being supportive.
    She once helped me clean up after a cask of homebrew had blown out its tap.A gallon or two of beer doesn't sound much but when it's sprayed up the dining room wall it makes a bit of a mess. That's what I call being supportive.
  6. My wife has encouraged me to get a cart at the liquor store!
    thecraftculture and jglowe77 like this.
  7. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

My mom always buys DFH 90 Minute when I come over for dinner. No complaints here!
  8. jglowe77

WTF Where's the yeast?!
    good_gracious and CloudStrife like this.
  9. My dads gotten more into beer recently. Got me a bunch of beer and a nice glass for Christmas this year - was very pleased with those. Also, everyone in my family always wants to try whatever beer I open up, so they're all winners in my book
  10. eajb24

eajb24 Aficionado (150) Connecticut May 26, 2005

My brother and brother in law are into it big. We all go to the beer fests together. The brother in law also home brews and now my brother is getting into that also. We all have kegerators also. Draft home brew duriing the holidays are great.
  11. My brother works for a brewery and my brother-in-law is a brewer.

And I just drink all the free beer they send my way.
  12. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

What's even more disturbing is that I may have to explain to some what the post meant. C'mon man...
  13. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Mine used to, until he hooked himself on IPAs, now he asks for suggestions all the time.

I always send him the way of really gross ones as retribution. '11 Devil Dancer all the way.

/sarcasm, in before "That's not what being an advocate is all about!"
  14. Yes, they all tell me I drink to much unless it benefits them.
    Dennoman likes this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'd have to say no on this one. My wife is the most supportive by coming with me to breweries and bringing back beer for me when she traveled, but outside of that she merely tolerates my spending on beer and trading. Rest of the family is BMC drinkers and my mom assumes I have a drinking problem since I buy so much beer.
  16. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Haha, I recieve beer literature for Christmases as well. Thats as much as theyll support my hobby.
  17. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

My father in law is the best when it comes to supporting me. He doesn't drink beer, but his sister works at a liquor store and as soon as she gets something new or rare in, he instantly texts me with what they got and will go grab it for me.
  18. Yeah, that was somewhat common - some brewers consider yeast more as a "processor" (blanking on the word normally used) - it's the active agent that is responsible for the process of converting sugar to alcohol but not a real "ingredient". In such a heavily filtered and pasteurized beer, one could argue that once bottled it doesn't really contain any "yeast".

Similarly, think of macro labels that often list (partial) ingredients as "Barley Malt, Choicest Grains, Finest Imported Hops" (sometimes "Pure Mountain/Spring Water") with no mention of yeast.
  19. My family got me into craft beer. My dad brewed and drank it for 20 years before I was even legal age. Bless them
    callmeishmALE likes this.
  20. jglowe77

Good call. Although I can't recall any macro labels since that last macro I drank was a sip of PBR at a party about 2 years ago, after which i nearly threw up and swore off them forever. :)
  21. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Well hot damn does anyone's wife not approve cause mine don't.
  22. My brother and I share similar beer tastes. We both bought each other homebrew equipement for christmas (I got mine last year and he got his this year). We've both converted our dad into a craft drinker and so long as we bring him home something aged in a bourbon barrel, he tolerates the homebrewing. My mom.......well she just smiles in amusement. :)
  23. I'm currently stationed in NC and most anything limited does not make it's way to the one shop I found. My mom and fiance, though not beer drinkers, go out of their way quite often to grab me the limited releases our two bottle shops receive. They don't always get there in time, but I can't complain with the selection they have been able to snag me.
  24. CRJMellor

CRJMellor Advocate (630) Arkansas Nov 12, 2003

I have an amazing spouse like many of you all. my only beef is see asks for samplers of the big Impy Stouts and then re-fills that sampler glass about 3-4 times and drinks half the bomber ! Just means I have to buy 2 of these. she has arranged for special cellar spots in the house as well.
    When I had time to brew my own stuff, she was always willing to help out as much as she could.
    Most of all she tolerates me spending hundreds if not thousands per year on beer and the occasional trip.
  25. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

My wife is indifferent to my beer hobby. She doesn't really know how much I spend, but I assume she knows as she can see it all. She'll make a comment every now and then about why I have to drink beer every day, but she mostly doesn't care as she drinks her wine on occasion.

My father enjoys craft beer and my uncle brews his own; reason I finally got into it.
  26. sind310

sind310 Aficionado (175) California Nov 15, 2011

I don't have a significant other, but my entire family (5 brothers, mom & dad) are super supportive. They not only buy me bottles they find interesting so we can share later, but when they travel they pick up a few things for me. I also have them to drop off/pick me up when I know it's going to be a "toasty" kinda night. Sometimes I take them to snatch that extra bottle. They have given me bottles, brewery's clothing and beer related items as gifts. I also homebrew, so we have started brewing as a family and most recipes come from their ideas. Coming from a background where quantity over quality seems to be the rage (You know, typical drunk Mexicans), my family has definitely changed their mind, taste buds and consumption of beer. I couldn't ask for a better support system!
  27. Wisdumb

Wisdumb Initiate (20) Missouri Dec 30, 2012

My husband got me into craft beers so we are very supportive of one another's beer habits. His family is great too - always checking out beer lists and comparing to our list of over 700 beers we have tried. If they find something we haven't had, they pick it up for us to try. It's great to have them!
  28. dav2080

dav2080 Aficionado (200) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2012

After reading the posts, all I can say is " you lucky dogs!". My wife (28 years) is very supportive of my beer hobby. Attends beer fests and goes to microbrewery restaurants with me. Hates my beers but tries them all. My daughter recently indulged me in my beer habit by accompanying me to The Brass Tap in Wesley Chapel FL last week. So many beers to try...ahhhh
  29. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (330) New York Dec 3, 2009

my gf learned that she likes sours from hanging out with me, and she's been really great in moments when I geek out. She even went out of her way to come with me to stores so I can get a 2nd bottle of 1-per-person releases.
  30. My wife is extremely supportive. Our vacation this year was to Belgium where we visited Westvleteren (picked up 2 cases of Westy 12) and Cantillion (picked up 12 bottles of Fou Foune). She also bought me a huge selection of Belgian darks and sours for Christmas. She can't stand the taste of beer (or any alcohol for that matter) but she thoroughly supports my interest in beer.
  31. my girlfriend is pretty supportive, if I've got a bomber of something we usually split it, and she normally likes it. She is certainly more of a wine drinker though.
  32. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Zealot (80) Georgia Dec 26, 2012

I'm lucky like callmeishmALE in the quality of support I recive. If she thinks I want to she's all about finding a way. She's got her beers I got mine, but she's right there with me. We met in '82 and she joined me in my efforts in drinking Germany dry(futile at best). Been my best friend and drinking buddy every since, also the voice of reason when needed(more often than I like to admit). While brewing this first batch she's been involved in every step, and we'll share that first beer, good or bad.
    match1112 likes this.
  33. I also have an amazing red head. She usually buys me beer for almost all holidays except this last Christmas. I came home with almost 3 cases the week before so I think she made a good call on that one lol. Also she is amazing on so many more fronts than just being supportive of beer and my career path.
    Mojo likes this.
  34. For X-mas my wife got me 2 GI Cherry Rye, BCBCS, Black OPS, books on brewing, America Walks into a Bar (book), Her sister got me a gift certificate to a beer distributor and her Mom got me a brewing kit! I think she understands my passion and obsession!
  35. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

I am quite relieved that my wife doesn't like sours (except Jolly Pumpkin) because that's one beer style I don't have to hide from her! (I buy a case of Terrapin Wake N Bake each year which she does not allow me to touch - that's HER beer, dammit!)
    jaIsPoAn likes this.
  36. ZPag

ZPag Zealot (95) New York Dec 3, 2012

My girlfriend is unbelievably supportive of my craft beer habits. She is also really supportive of my homebrewing. It is awesome, she doesn't always like the beer I do but we always try them together. She wasn't into it very much when we first met but she has certainly developed a taste for good craft beer. It is awesome. We take a lot of trips to visit various breweries as well.
    Dan_Bowman likes this.
  37. My fiancee is a marginal craft fan (she'll try anything I offer her, but is generally not going to like an IPA/stout) but supports my craft habit. When we met she wouldn't drink anything that wasn't a Coors Light, so I like to think I've had a positive influence. Her favorite beer now is probably Ithaca Apricot Wheat. She gets that beer is my primary hobby and doesn't mind when I spend some money on it.