1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who Green lighted the cover photo for this month's BA mag?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate magazine' started by broodog, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broodog

broodog Savant (345) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

Don't get me wrong. Love the mag, but that cover photo. Who's the photo editor who OK'ed this? The nose of a large bearded man sniffing hop pellets does not please the eye. Even the best prime lens can't make that photo look attractive. Just my 2 cents. Still, love the content. Been a subscriber for 2 years now.

JxExM likes this.
  2. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I actually don't see anything wrong with the cover of the mag at all. Not my fav but certainly nothing wrong with it. To each his own I guess.

TwelveOunces likes this.
  3. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (330) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

agree with op

4. It's beer advocate not vanity fair, if a bearded man sniffing hops can't go on the cover of this magazine it's a sad day for bearded men with large noses everywhere.

5. broodog

The thing about it is, this guy doesn't have a large nose. It's probably normal to smallish as far as noses go. The angle the photo was taken from and the fact that it's the focal point of the photo makes it look gigantic.

6. Like the cover - who cares about noses, we all have them, diversity...

7. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

You can stick to AB ads if you want big tittied women and all that. The reason that this picture is a great cover photo is that its real. Its a true representation of the craft beer scene showing a man that no doubt loves craft beer getting all up in those beautiful hop pellets.

8. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

are we really discussing this? Can I get another Three Floyds burned down joke please....

fujindemon74, afrokaze and misterid like this.
  9. broodog

The subject matter is valid, but the photo is not well executed, IMO

10. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

It's more attractive than your avatar. Cover looks fine to me.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  11. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

At least it is not taken from the opposite point of view so you see up his nose. It can always be worse.

a74gent likes this.
  12. broodog

Opinion of the head of a photo department at a major newspaper:

Not appealling ... the composition puts your eye on his nose and gross fingernails (terrible angle). The glasses suspended there also. A nice shot of a handful of beautiful hops with a person smiling would have gotten the message across a little more elegantly.

13. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I kind help but sing, "Too much time on my hands, too much time on my hands." Great, I'm going to be singing this fucking song all day.

14. BenAdvocate

BenAdvocate Sales Manager (175) Massachusetts Jul 16, 2009 Staff Member

I happen to think it's a great cover. My eyes are drawn to the hop pellets and the green hop dust all over his finger tips. I can almost smell those hops just by looking at it. I don't think someone holding hops in their hands and smiling would get the point across at all. I think getting your nose in there and getting a good whiff is what is all about. IMO.

kscaldef likes this.
  15. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I love all the fuss people put up about BA mag covers. I recall one long stupid argument because a cover showed a tap spout touching the beer and another one about the woman on the cover having too low cut of a shirt. Is your life missing something meaningful to be angry about?

The guy on the cover looks like about 90% of men at beer festivals so you probably wouldn't enjoy one of those either.

MinorThreat and NWer like this.
  16. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Really?

17. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

My eyes were drawn to the pellets first, then his face. Not a terrible cover by any means.

NWer likes this.
  18. It made me think of Jerry(with one too many fingers) and hoppy beer. So what's to complain about?

GeddyLeeRocks and BenAdvocate like this.
  19. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

Oh good grief. I thought I was buying BeerAdvocate magazine, not Architectural Digest. Who cares? Put a plain piece of white paper on the cover. Put a rat drinking from the tap at Founders. Its a picture, not deciding whether to enlist. Half the time my cover is ripped to shit anyway so I don't give a care.

20. I like the cover. Love for the beer industry mixed with passion from that "large bearded man". He is who makes what we enjoy so much.

Imagine a world that brewers did not care what they put in our beer! Oh yeah, that would be like the '70's.

21. emannths

emannths Savant (400) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Or Dogfish Head, sometimes. ;)

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  22. needs more hot beer wenches

23. When are they going to get rid of that huge ugly black bar at the top of every magazine?

24. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Myself included.

25. who gives a shit

26. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I don't know, man. The subject matter is good, and plainly relevant. And there are some good things happening in the image--look at the way his nose fits into the negative space between the palms of his hands. I also like the shallow depth of field in the image. Everything in the composition is leading the eye straight to the pile of hop pellets.

Without trying to go all art director on you, I might've centered the pic a little more (cropped the image so his nose is on the centerline of the cover). Also, the image seems to tilt a little to the lower left corner of the cover, so I might've "corrected" that tilt.

27. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I'm not sure why they would want to. It does a good job of reflecting the design of this site.

If I were the creative director/art director, I might look at swapping the position of the BA logo and the 2 lines of feature stories. That would bring it even more in line with the look of the header of this site. The article titles would effectively become the "navigation" options for the magazine. (It would also eliminate the trapped space between the "e" in "Advocate" and the right edge of the magazine.)

28. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Only thing I would have changed was to swap out the pellet hops for some crunched up cones/whole flowers.

LeRose likes this.
  29. I like it.

The reasons the 'major newspaper' photo editor dislike it are precisely the reasons i feel it belongs on the cover of BA - because it looks authentic.

kscaldef likes this.
  30. stoney1031

stoney1031 Aficionado (215) Texas Dec 2, 2012

I have to agree with the people who think this is an appropriate cover. Guys like the dude on the cover is a good representation of the passion that goes into the awesome craft beers we all love. I'd rather see some bearded guy taking the time to inspect the ingredients he is about to put in to the beer he is about to brew than some totally awesome ad for a tasteless beer. Just my 2 cents

31. Seriously? It could be worse. The green pellet hops completely draws the eye away from the man, so it works for me. Plus, every cover can't have a smoking hot chick holding drinks on it.

32. It's really not proper magazine design. Emulating the website design can be done without making it look like exactly website.

33. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Obviously, we green lighted it and the 72 covers before it.

Unlike mainstream mags on the newsstands, we're free from worrying about trying to sell our mag using its cover; i.e. - using imagery layered with text/callouts designed to complete with other mags and catch the attention of a possible reader/passerby.

Instead our aim is to focus on the people who put the passion into the beer we all enjoy, and we're proud to say that every copy we print and distribute is picked up by someone interested in the content we publish every month.

Regardless, not every one who reads BA mag is going to like every cover.

34. BobCS

BobCS Aficionado (215) New York Sep 15, 2006

Works for me.

35. You were expecting a bounty of hop cones nestled in a womans cleavage with a brewer going blbblblblbblbl and horking it all in? Hmm.

36. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I have to wonder what this person thinks "the message" is? To me, this picture captures a real person and their passion. His fingernails are "gross" because he works with his hands and at this moment they are covered in hop dust. He's wearing glasses because he wears glasses. I'm much happier with a real member of the community on the cover than some picture-perfect model.

cmannes and jasonmason like this.
  37. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Damn ... I knew we should have airbrushed him a little. ;-)

The best covers IMO are the ones that get talked about regardless if they are liked it or not.

JxExM, broodog, mattafett and 2 others like this.
  38. Where's the big nosed bearded dude? I only see hops...beautiful green aromatic hop deliciousness.

Jason likes this.
  39. The guy on the cover is probably feeling bad about himself right about now.

JxExM likes this.
  40. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

How else would you like a picture of someone sniffing hop pellets to look? Should he be doing a handstand in front of the Eiffel Tower?

PoopChute69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.