1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who is your favorite California brewer?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by highdesertdrinker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. I'm not saying I agree with the Firestone assertion, but I think Alesmith's IPA is better than Union Jack and every SN IPA.
  2. Alesmith's Wee Heavy is a solid beer, if you like that genre. And their ESB is a nice session beer, IMHO.
  3. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Never tried Alesmith IPA, but it's kinda hard to believe it's better then those two... i'll have to try it.
  4. To be fair, I dislike basically all the SN IPAs, but I do like Union Jack.
  5. Historical - Anchor
    BA beers - Bruery
    Sours - Russian River
    Price wise - Lagunitas
    Availability - Sierra Nevada
    Beer/food combo - Beachwood
    Retsinis and jmerriken like this.
  6. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (280) California Aug 3, 2011

Ruskie river
  7. Firestone Walker is #1 for me. Yes I have regular access to Alpine, Kern River, Russian River ect. Their quality and price point is unmatched in CA. Although the freshness of their bottles always comes into question. I never buy any of their hoppy beers if more than a month old. Put fresh Union Jack in a blind taste test and it will go toe to toe with any West Coast IPA period.
    After FW, in no particular order, Russian River, Alesmith, Stone, Bruery, Port, Beachwood (as good as anything but not widely available yet), Alpine, Sierra. Hot Damn California dominates, that's why I don't trade, not worth the shipping costs with the riches we have at disposal!
  8. If Russian River only made Blind Pig and Sanctification, I would still pick them. Second favorite is Sierra, third is Drake's.
    penniwisdom likes this.
  9. Ryan Braun
    jmgrub and LegalBrew87 like this.
  10. In my opinion there are only two joints that keep pumping out world class beers in the golden state:

Russian River

and

The Bruery

These two operations are in a class of their own. If you're a NorCal drinker then you're probably partial to Russian River.

SoCal drinkers probably are partial to The Bruery.

These are the two breweries that are an A+ in California.
    4kbrianb likes this.
  11. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (260) California Sep 10, 2011

^

You missed the part where Firestone has probably the best BA program in the world.

RR
    Bruery
    Firestone

In no particular order.

I'm just glad to live 3-4 blocks from Bruery Provisions.
  12. In my opinion:
    Russian River
    Fifty Fifty
    Anchor
    Firestone
    and
    Auburn Alehouse.
  13. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Marin makes some kickass beers.
    bkrueger and FunkyMacGroovin like this.
  14. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

12 posts in and you're already with the "no love for..." ?
  15. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Yeah
  16. Definitely Russian River for me. The short 10 minute drive makes me a little biased though ;)
  17. stoutgrl

stoutgrl Disciple (55) California Aug 8, 2012

Russian River!!!!
  18. arash1000

arash1000 Aficionado (170) Arkansas Sep 26, 2012

It is hard to choose between Firestone, RR and Bruery. I have to give the nod to Bruery just because it seems like they try to experiment and take more risks. Also the Patrick Pours at Provisions are awesome. :)
  19. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Savant (300) California Nov 28, 2010

Beachwood
    Kern
    Pizza Port San Clemente, Carlsbad, OB, SB
    Alpine
    dcgunman likes this.
  20. Firestone, RR, Drakes , The Bruery the list goes on.
    My underdog in the fight is Mammoth, who make great beer and I really like what Sante Adairius is doing.
    RobertV916 and Rocket80 like this.
  21. I guess I would have to go with Firestone Walker but I have to say Im biased. Living 20 mins from the brewery has spoiled me.

Russian River and Alpine are a very close second. Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada are definitely up there when it comes to value. Ballast Point as always been one of my favorites and The Bruery is another favorite, although pricey. Alesmith and Green Flash are also honorable mentions. Yeah, there is a lot of good beer in CA.
  22. Russian River!
  23. DCRA

DCRA Aficionado (160) California Dec 14, 2011

Alpine
  24. Only two? Man, you're harsh.
  25. I know we all have our favorite brewers/breweries, but all I have to say is California is one of the best brewing states in the nation(we have most of the top 100 breweries here), with Oregon being a close second. :D
    dianimal likes this.
  26. Sante Adairius Rustic Ales in Capitola, which opening midway through 2012. Not distributing yet, but they are starting to bottle some sour and funky beers and I have a feeling a lot more people will know that name by the end of 2013
  27. I might have been a bit too blunt.

Those two, in my opinion, are A+ joints.

And then we are swamped in the golden state with a ton of A or A- operations. Any of which I would be thrilled to drink the offerings from, and often do.

But I think that The Bruery and Russian River are a notch above the rest and in a league of their own.

Long story short: it's good to live in California if you love amazing beer. Damn good.
  28. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

ABC
    KRBC
    Beachwood Brewing
    RRBC
  29. Hangar 24... because Kevin is so tall and sexy
  30. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

That's a bold statement. Granted, I haven't had most of the BA beers they don't bottle, but making a claim like that based on just a few beers seems over-enthusiastic. Yes, Parabola and Sucaba and Velvet Merkin are good, but most of their other beers are inferior to many other BA offerings from other breweries.

I think Founders has a stronger and more diverse program. 3 Fonteinen, Hill Farmstead, and Cantillon make some of the best beer in the world from barrels. The Bruery is far more exciting than FW, and BT>Parabola.

Firestone's program is amazing, but it's a hard sell to say it's the best BA program in the world.

Back OT, my favorite California brewery is Pizza Port (all of them.)
    Levitation likes this.
  31. My favs are:

Sierra Nevada
    Russian River
    The Bruery
    North Coast
  32. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Alpine's not on your list? Even is anyone didn't think it was #1 it surely to be on a list over Stone or Green Flash etc.
  33. Well, if I can only pick one, I would have to say Russian River. Although there are others, of course. I guess Russian River is so good cause you can hardly get it...nah, who am I kidding, they just brew really good beer! Stone is good, too...and so is Ballast Point (LOVE Sculpin)....OK, I know it is only supposed to be one! :)
  34. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

the rare barrel is coming too! and also societe has many many barreled gems just waiting to be drank. being patient is hard.
  35. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

For me, it's a tie between Indian Wells and Hermitage.
    rob133 and domtronzero like this.
  36. Have you tried the barrel aged Indian Wells beer?
  37. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Beachwood is quickly becoming my favorite west coast brewery. Amazing stuff coming from that crew.

Cheers.....
    John11486 likes this.
  38. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Drinking a Beachwood Alpha Supreme tonight, incredible stuff. Cross between Zombie Dust and Alpine HB.

Cheers....
  39. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

My fav brewer in Cali? That's like asking for my fav Victoria Secret model; several come to mind. :)