1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Who owns whom?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Kgrubb1224, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Kgrubb1224

Kgrubb1224 Member

Anyone know where a list is of what beers are owned by which companies? I know most of the macro brewers and who they own, but so many micros are owned by groups or fellow micros. Ex: Kona/Widmer or The Shed beer being owned by Long Trail.

These darn beers are confusing!
  2. BKBassist

BKBassist Member

I think there is much less of this than you think. There is the Craft Brewers Alliance which is Redhook and Widmer Bros with a 33% share owned by AB\InBev.

There is the North American Breweries Company, which owns Pyramid, Magic Hat, Genesse and Dundee.

The Gambrinus Company owns Shiner, Trumer and Bridgeport.

Other than that most craft brewers are pretty much independently owned. AB obviously bought Goose Island and some major Euro brands, but they haven't gotten anyone else yet. The big boys are probably more focused on the faux craft lines now (Shock Top, Third Shift, et al)
    Willbfun likes this.
  3. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

With well over 2,000 breweries and brewpubs in the US, " so many micros are owned by groups or fellow micros" might be a bit of an exaggeration. Off-hand, the obvious ones that come to mind:

• Craft Brews Alliance - Widmer, Redhook, Kona
    • IBU - Magic Hat, Pyramid and Portland (formerly MacTarnahan) - owned by NAB (Genesee, Labatt importer)
    • Mendocino, Old Saratoga and Butte Creek - owned by India beverage giant UB Group (partially owned by Heineken)
    • Long Trail owns The Shedd and Otter Creek
    • Butternuts owns Cooperstown Brewing Co.
    • Spoetzl, BridgePort and Trumer (in the US) owned by former Corona importer, Gambrinus
    One corporate parent company owns two of the large brewpub chains, but I don't have much interest in them and can't recall their names:D
    EDIT:
    Oh, yeah it's Craftworks which owns both the Gordon Biersch and Rock Bottom brewpub chains.
    owen49 and Chaz like this.
  4. Kgrubb1224

Kgrubb1224 Member

Sorry for the overexaggeration, but at the shop I work at it just seems so many of the new beers we get are Third Shift, The Shed, Wolaver, Widmer's Ommission, etc. Just tired of new "Micro" beers that are owned by a group or the faux 'Micro" owned by Macros.
  5. BKBassist

BKBassist Member

Of those, Third Shift is the only clearly "macro" owned brand there. AB's stake in the Craft Brewer's alliance is not a majority, and the combination of the Long Trail brands still makes them far from macro.
  6. Kgrubb1224

Kgrubb1224 Member

Another beer-Is Leinenkugel self-owned?
  7. BKBassist

BKBassist Member

Bought by Miller in 1988. Google is thy friend :)
    Kyrojack likes this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

A couple more:

• Jolly Pumpkin, North Peak and Grizzly Peak all under the same ownership - NUBCO
    • F. X. Matt (Saranac brand) also owns Flying Bison in Buffalo, NY and isn't there a connection with Lake Placid Brewing besides contracting their bottled products?
  9. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Member

You can always tell when the beer goes to crap.
  10. boney77

boney77 Member

If I recall correctly, Miller Coors has a small stake in Terrapin as well.

Up North, Unibroue is owned by Sleemans, who is owned by Sapporo, and Creemore + Granville Island are owned by Molson Coors who run them under their Six Pints flag.
  11. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

Unibroue! Owned by Sapporo since 2006:eek:
    afrokaze and fmccormi like this.
  12. Johnhaley1989

Johnhaley1989 Member

13. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Member

14. Kgrubb1224

Kgrubb1224 Member

15. aasher

aasher Member

That said, there is a big need for Widmer's Omission series. They're gluten free beers that taste like beer.
    sprucetip, ufmj and BlowstotheBody like this.
  16. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Member

Why is there such a huge concern over who owns every brewery? If you like the beer they make, drink it! If not, does it really matter who owns the brewery???
  17. kotayk

kotayk Member

Now that u know ... U must hate the and the swill they produce
  18. kotayk

kotayk Member

I could not agree more

Add it to the many BA memes along side such oldies as:
    Pliny is over rated, I prefer blind pig
    This batch is better/worse than last batch
    This years batch of (insert name of rare ris) has a thin watery mouthfeel
    Etc. etc.
  19. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

Oh, totally. I DEFINITELY had a sneaking suspicion that La Fin du Monde was actually satan's piss. Totally saw that coming years ago, just didn't say anything.
    kotayk likes this.
  20. spicoli00

spicoli00 Member

Lost Abbey is an off shoot of Port brewing/pizza port.
    Sierra Nevada owns Ovila (interesting story here)
  21. Jake1605

Jake1605 Member

Port Brewing - Lost Abbey
  22. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

Some people care about where their money ends up.
    bigbeers84, kemoarps, auhwfm and 5 others like this.
  23. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

Pete's Wicked Ale is no more. See Gambinus. Just saying.
    ete
  24. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Member

Because, without being overly rigid about it, its nice to know that most of the beers I love come from independent stand alone and local breweries...I wont get into the corporate pigs controlling everything argument...generally speaking I prefer small and local to large and mega corporate...that being said, I have no prob drinkin a macro if someone offers it to me...its just not what I prefer...minus GI BA stouts and barleywines...
    kemoarps and sprucetip like this.
  25. Providence

Providence Member

To some it does. I for one am very interested in who owns the brewery I am about to purchase a beer from. Even if the beer tastes good, sometimes there are reasons not to buy a brew. The majority of people may not operate like this, but there are many who do.
    bigbeers84, kemoarps, auhwfm and 3 others like this.
  26. kotayk

kotayk Member

if the corporate pigs can make a beer that tastes good i will drink it.
    I'm sure you also only shop from farmers markets, directly from the farmer, have never stepped into a home depot or Target and wouldn't be caught dead inside of a MacD's.
    Mattyb79 likes this.
  27. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Member

OK, I know and very much respect your opinion on this matter and I have seen numerous posts from you (and Providence) on this subject, but I still just don't get this stance. If A-B is actually doing something completely unethical, please fill me in and my opinion may change. However, every time I have asked this question, I have gotten either crickets or a bunch of non descriptive vague responses that I chalk up to hearsay.
  28. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Member

So you are on my side then. Either that or you don't realize that you completely contradict yourself with this post.
  29. sprucetip

sprucetip Member

Yes it does. If you give a shit about whether or not your money goes to a quality business that cares about the community in which it is situated, or whether it is just a common corporate criminal, with no concerns other than their bottom line. Of course there are grey areas between the poles, but ask you friend in St. Louis how well the InBev thing is working out for the community, workers, economy etc.
    SammyJaxxxx and kemoarps like this.
  30. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Member

I don't really buy from Widmer or Goose Island anymore... Would only do so if there were no independent options available and it was between those and a total Macrobrew.
  31. sprucetip

sprucetip Member

define unethical. Is playing hardball with bars/retailers on tap handles and shelf space (because you are the school yard bully and you know you can get away with it) ethical? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. To me it is. I don't like how they operate. I don't much care for mass consumerism corporate culture whether it is AB, Walmart or McDonalds. It's bad for workers, the economy, and the products suck compared to how we used to do things in this country (making quality products that last and paying living or even better wages).
    SammyJaxxxx and kemoarps like this.
  32. brewsader

brewsader Member

so what's ethical about that??
  33. sprucetip

sprucetip Member

Oops. My "is" was supposed to be "is not." I will fix it pronto. Good catch! ... Can't fix it. My intent was to say playing hard ball is not ethical.
  34. auhwfm

auhwfm Member

Perhaps no one wants to get into an argument over something that essentially boils down to a personal philosophy. If you don't believe that putting your money in the hands of the BMC's, Coca-Cola's, and the like is detrimental to the welfare of the planet and it's inhabitants; then there is probably little that could be said in an online beer forum to change that. If you are honestly totally naive to the reasons that some people distrust or even dislike corporations gaining control of yet more of the planets resources, and really are curious, you could begin by watching(or re-watching) Beer Wars. Then perhaps explore The Corporation: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379225/

I don't fully agree with everything in either of those movies, however they touch upon the question you seem to be so hard pressed to find answers to.
    SammyJaxxxx, kemoarps and sprucetip like this.
  35. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

If that isn't truly proof that INbev isn't one ring to rule them all, I am not sure what is!
  36. sprucetip

sprucetip Member

This is the corrected version of my comment above, in case anyone else is confused.
  37. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

I think some of us are concerned because, sometimes a takeover can "ruin" or totally eliminate the production of a certain beer. Take Old Latrobe's Rolling Rock, When they were purchased by A-B the factory was shut down entirely and moved to the A-B Factory. It now tastes like bud light in a green can ! The same thing has happened with Becks and several other beers as well. Forgive me, but I am skeptical about takeovers unless their goal is to save a product which would have been made obsolete, due to a failing business and was saved by the takeover.
  38. Nectar

Nectar Member

Ill drink GI BCBS and its other limited releases but that's where my line is drawn. My philosophy on the topic is simply a 50/50 mix of watching who my money goes to and finding BCBS, BCBCS, and Big John really fucking good.
    Mattyb79 likes this.
  39. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Member

Maybe I am missing some of your point, but if you can give me an example of a craft brewery paying better wages than A-B, I'd be really interested to hear it. As for the shelf space argument, every large company in the world does this.....more money, more prominent shelf space. Is that wrong or is it just the result of a capitalist society? A-B has been around since the 1800's and I debate your statement about "how we did things in America" since I doubt their beer has changed that much in the time they've made it. If people choose not to buy A-B products because they want to support their local breweries, I'm all for that. Just don't give a bunch of BS reasons why the corporation is "evil".
  40. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Member

But did those beers truly change after the "takeover", or were they always less than desirable adjuncts?