1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Whole Foods Katy

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Philly22

Philly22 Disciple (70) Texas Jul 12, 2011

To each their own I guess. I know HEB got all those beers (well the Frageelay I didnt see myself but was told it was there). When I spoke to the manager before they got BBA Hellfighter he said he was going to keep it in the back at first so he could try to make sure more people got it, then he would move it to the wine area (which is also where Bunker Hill keeps a lot of their releases), then if it sat longer he would move over to the rest of the beer. That didn't seem to bother me, but neither does the fact that a supermarket only has one or two beer people. As for Specs, I think it should be required that the staff know more since it is a beer/alcohol store).

2. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

just screams laziness to me.

3. mattchow

The HEB on fry and 99 got all the Karbach special releases? Most special thing I saw aside from BBA Hellfighter was LOF Peach Porch Lounger.

I guess I don't see the point of holding things in the back if your staff isn't hip to the information that they have a "special" beer, you just have a bunch of people asking other people in hopes of getting hold of a "manager" that has a clue. If the beer public doesn't know you have the beer, why would they bother to ask about it?

I know to do that at Sienna, Montrose and Bunker Hill, but I'm not gonna go into a random HEB and ask if they have Abyss or BA Rasputin

4. mattchow

just noticed this as well, it's nice to have so many hebs around the area, I'm looking forward to WFM to be THE spot for beer in Katy, it's even closer to me than HEB Plus lol.

5. Philly22

Philly22 Disciple (70) Texas Jul 12, 2011

Yeah they got the other Karbach releases just not as much as the Hellfighter. I agree with you though that hopefully the WFM ends up being the main spot. The kegs to go are a nice addition as well as the home brewing section too.

6. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (400) Texas Aug 16, 2012

At WFM now enjoying a pint of Matilda. Here's what's on tap:

Karbach Weiss Versa
    Southern Star Lemort Vivant
    Cedar Creek Elliot's Phond Home Ale
    Ommegang Hennepin
    Live Oak Liberation
    Six Point Sweet Action Cream Ale
    Hopadillo
    Lawnmower
    Goose Island Matilda

Growler fills are priced really well. They keep it up and I'll always go here for a beer.

7. mattchow

Might have to swing by for a growler of Matilda, price?

8. mmireles

mmireles Aficionado (210) Texas May 18, 2005

one of the HEBs close by me does the exact same thing... guess you didn't read my earlier post about the beer manager of HEB telling me they were getting a case of abyss but it was already "reserved".

i've never had issues with D&Q hiding things from me and i'm anything but a regular. i go there maybe 2-3 times a month.

I think I've had the most problems with HEB and Whole Foods hiding special releases... I've had both of those places downright refuse to sell me stuff because I wasn't on their reserve list.

9. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

Nothing is better than shelf aged Wytchmaker....please tell me which HEB this is at so I can go buy it all....

lndsy likes this.
  10. TxUltraRunner

Growler price for Matilda $10 for 32 oz and $15 for 64 oz

11. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (500) Texas Feb 21, 2011

That's interesting, I've never ran into that. Only with DR day in which I was only allowed to get one sixer and bomber, since I wasn't on the "list". Well, when I was in D&Q for the Abyss he was out, and then I asked about Buff Brew Gingerbread and he was like "Let me see if I have anymore" then reached down and grabbed one. Its mostly cause he saves them for later dates in the year, which is cool, but still, to me that's the same as "reserving" them.

Either way, I'm not going to sit here and speak negative about either business. So lets just agree to disagree.

12. TxUltraRunner

Kidding, right? Cuz HEB of Grand Pkwy has 3 cases of it...

WFM Katy has Commercial Suicide in cold box.

It was confirmed that WFM Katy has Goose Island Pere Jacques. Wasn't told when it will be tapped. 120 is on hand but dont know when it's being tapped either.

13. mattchow

how is asking about a beer and getting one that same moment the same as needing to be on a list to get the beer?

14. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (500) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Because hes done something similar to me before. A friend and I went in when he had whiskey rodeo and we both asked for one, and he said its the last one then gave me one and not her. Then a guy comes in right behind us and he give him one. Maybe he didn't think it was for her even though she was picking out her own beers and glasswear. Though, not the same situation but very similar. And again, I know he keeps it for later in the year, but it just puts me off a lil.

15. tofuspeedstar

About to go clean them out.....I need trade bait bro.

Show and UHCougar12 like this.
  16. TxUltraRunner

Dude - it's been sitting on the floor for at least 3 months - same same 3 or 4 cases

17. tofuspeedstar

FT: Jester King Wytchmaker x6 ISO: Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla

What up.

It'd be about as crickety as the Texans Trophy Case...

Clonies720 and RJC like this.
  18. TxUltraRunner

19. weeks023

weeks023 Zealot (95) Texas Jan 18, 2013

Same here. I live about two minutes from there and will be thrilled when it opens. Although it doesn't look like they have done anything since Christmas.

As a side note about how bad some smaller Specs are, the one at 249 and Spring Cypress has 2 year old Deschutes hop in the dark on their shelves. It's best by date is in 2011. Also, I asked 3 people that were stocking thebeer area about Lagunitas Sucks, and none of them had ever heard of it.

20. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Talking about Brandon? I've brought my dad along when there's bottle limits and acts as my buying mule. Sometimes I think it was pretty obvious my dad had no idea what he buying (He hates sours). Then again my dad sometimes buys the stuff for himself and has an interest in beer. He's even financially supported my brewing efforts on multiple occasions.

21. mattchow

pawpaw, get some palate wrecker in stock!

22. tofuspeedstar

ISO: Black Butte 25 :)

23. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (325) Texas Jan 22, 2013

ISO: Bodacious

24. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Green Flash Imperial IPA is better than Palate Wrecker.

25. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I completely disagree.

I've always wondered why their IIPA would be so awful.

To each their own I suppose. ;)

air likes this.
  26. mattchow

Do you want a refund on the 2 cents you gave me?

TxUltraRunner likes this.
  27. mattchow

damnit, i went to get a growler of Matilda, and about a pint of beer went in before the keg was kaput.

28. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Anyone have an updated tap list? I'll be out there Thursday night and might need a growler or 2.

29. mattchow

ill take a photo when i go tomorrow morning.

30. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (330) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

When I left work yesterday the taps were:

Old Rasputin (nitro)
    Cedar Creek Elliot's Phoned Home Pale Ale
    Ommegang Hennepin
    Karbach Hopadillo
    Karbach Weisse Versa
    Goose Island Matilda
    Southern Star La Mort Vivant
    Live Oak Liberation
    and I'm having a hard time remembering the ninth keg :(

Also, I think sometime next week (or this week if I have time) I'm just going to start a beermenus.com account for our bar and see how that works out. That way you'll have pricing, and we can keep a semi-updated bottle list going.

31. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (375) Texas Oct 2, 2007

That's Real Talk!

Thanks Justin

32. mattchow

awesome! As far as growlers, can you bring any growler or does it have to be a WFM branded one?

33. pawpaw

Any growler will do. The only time it gets weird is if someone brings in a 750ml growler (like a Hill Farmstead one), then we have to kind of guesstimate how much to charge.

34. mattchow

sweet, what days do you work out there? I'll have to come introduce myself sometime

35. LarryK

LarryK Savant (255) New York Jul 13, 2012

I obviously approve of that idea; just make sure you keep it updated -- nothing more worthless than a Beer Menus page that hasn't been updated in a month. I've gently chided one of my favorite local NYC bottle shops for not updating regularly and now they do it and everyone's happy.

36. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (325) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Nice!

37. TxUltraRunner

sorry dude - don't forget that they are sitting on Pere Jacques. So more GI goodness is around the corner.

Thanks for doing that. Bottle list i'm not too worried about (unless it's a bottle release), but the tap list is most important. That definitely needs to be updated on a consistant basis. BTW, Ebony needs to be hired...just sayin

38. pawpaw

Ok, so let's see how this goes.

Here's the link for the WFM Katy draft list. In theory, it will be updated as soon as we change kegs, or within a few hours of changing a keg.

LarryK and icetrauma like this.
  39. mattchow

nice meeting you today Justin, bb porter? I'll be in for a growler tomorrow! Nitro lines back up and active already?

40. pawpaw

Likewise, seƱor.

Everything is good to go *fingers crossed*. We have this crazy custom blending box so when either the NO2 or CO2 goes out, the whole system shuts down to prevent an incorrect blend. The crisis was averted once we found a wrench big enough to change air tanks (oh the fun of opening a store:))

Also secured a keg of Rye on Rye today to add to our growing list of whacky-kegs-that-we-don't-know-when-we're-going-to-tap. My fingers are extra crossed for a keg of La Folie when they become available. I think we may do something cool in the coming weeks like a special weekly DONG (until after 9) tapping for ultra limited stuff. We'll see.