1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Whole Foods NorCal beer sale - this Friday 1/25

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by FunkyMacGroovin, Jan 22, 2013.

1. There's another 20% off sale at all northern CA (and Reno) Whole Foods locations this Friday, January 25. Applies to all beer regardless of pack or bottle size. Draft beer, homebrew kits, and kegs excluded. If any of you want to place a special order I'd suggest calling your nearest store today.

And there goes my next paycheck . . .

2. Here's hoping the shelves are heavy with BA Bigfoot come Friday morning.

kiki3drt292 and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  3. I'm trying to get an answer to whether or not it will make it to stores by Friday right now. Will update when I know something.

4. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Tim, stock some Fou Foune NOW! I need a case for this awesome chicken marinade recipe I make. I hear there are only 6 bottles in a case of Cantillon so it shouldn't be too hard to get. Ready, set, go!

MykelJH likes this.
  5. Saw the signs for this upcoming sale this morning - was only dropping by to get some coffee and a breakfast snacky, but now I know where I'm heading Friday! (And even with the 20%-off sale imminent, I couldn't resist the 750s of 3F Oude Geuze just sitting there on the shelf...)

6. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

Which location is this?

7. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

Fou foune should make it sometime but geez it takes forever to get here

8. I'd guess Oakland, but not sure. It was sitting on the shelf at Berkeley Bowl west last I was there as well.

9. BA Bigfoot was already on the shelf at the Whole Foods in Los Altos/Mountain View. Also from another thread at Whole foods in Fresno.

10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Too bad I heard that BA bigfoot is nasty. Also, it'd be hilarious to me if 'loons landed on Friday.

11. Man this is a week too early!

12. You guys get Fou Foune up there??

Also, I'm assuming this sale doesn't apply to SoCal WF's?

13. stupac2

14. Madskill

Madskill Savant (255) California Nov 25, 2012

I'll be there stocking up my basket with brews!

15. Didn't mention anything about SoCal so I didn't want to assume.. you know what happens when we ASSume, right?

16. stupac2

It also didn't mention anything about Portland or New Jersey or Siberia, should we ask about those too?

17. In the US-Pacific forum?

Listen, you probably had the proper intention.. I was just explaining why I asked that question in the first place. Hope I didn't offend you.

Edit: If I did, I'm sorry.

18. Will the San Ramon Whole Foods be doing the same? It's walking distance from my office :)

19. If it's a Whole Foods, it's in California, and it's farther north than Fresno, yes.

BlakeSmith likes this.
  20. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Occasionally you'll find some beers that are on sale and they will stack the 20% discount. I got a bottle of Old Raspy XIV last sale for $15. Hopefully you live near one of the "good" Whole Foods stores...the peninsula is a dead zone.

21. Did the price ring up like that, or did you have to tell them "hey that's not 80% of what this price tag says"? The way it's supposed to work is that for the day of the sale, all other sale prices currently going on (monthly promos, weekly specials, etc) reset back to their regular retail, and then 20% is taken off of that.

22. nataku00

nataku00 Savant (400) California Apr 5, 2010

The San Ramon WF will take part in these sales. Unfortunately, the beer selection there isn't as good as it used to be after the previous beer buyer moved to a different location.

23. jtmartino

It had a sale tag (or a mark down tag) and it rang up at that price...I think it was cheaper because it was so old. The woman stocking the shelves also grabbed two for herself.

24. That's not supposed to happen, but sometimes things get overlooked.

25. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

Sucks for 8 a sixer... Daddy's excited

26. jtmartino

It wasn't the first time I had a marked down price stack with the 20% off discount. It happened at the Palo Alto store and the Cupertino store on two separate occasions.

I don't remember if both times it rang up, or if one of the times I asked the cashier about the discount. Does WF mark down beers that don't sell? Like permanent markdowns?

27. I had noticed that, but cheaper beer nonetheless :)

28. Stores can sometimes mark down items to go through remaining stock (Velvet Merlin is on sale at my store right now for this reason). However, whenever something is part of a one-day sale, the system is supposed to ignore any other sale pricing for the day and apply the one-day discount to the regular retail. The system being run by humans and all, errors happen.

29. Anyone know if the Roseville Whole Foods has anything good right now? Eclipse, BA Old Raspy XV, or BA Bigfoot??

30. We get these too from time to time, but usually not at the same time as NorCal locations.

31. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Question for SF locals: How does WF in downtown SF compare to the Portrero Hill location? The WF in the Haight is easiest for me to get to but I've always found their beer selection lacking compared to the others. (The only problem with the downtown location is City Beer Store is nearby--and too hard to resist!)

32. It's pretty good but I've found the Potrero Hill location to have the best selection. Doesn't answer your ? per se, but FYI

33. In my opinion Potrero Hill definitely has the best selection, followed by the SoMa store and Haight St. The California St and Noe Valley stores carry lots of good stuff as well, but they don't have the shelf or display space of the other stores.

34. Dobby

Dobby Aficionado (150) California Jan 30, 2011

What are some good scores from today?

35. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

alesmith wee heavy, ba bigfoot, sixer of ruthless and a sixer of sucks all under $40. not too shabby

36. Man, I live in San Rafael and the WF there has about half of the space for beer.

37. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

yea wes is pretty much knocking it out of the park. its not as good as it was before steep brew opened, but its still killer

38. San Ramon Whole Foods: meh. No BA Bigfoot or even just Bigfoot for that matter. No Sucks :( either.

The Haul
    4 Bombers: Triple VooDoo Impreial IPA , Green Flash Imperial IPA, Sculpin, Deschutes Experimental IPA
    4Pack of Green Flash IPA
    Sixer of Mirror Pond & Newcastle Brown Ale
    Case of Lagunitas IPA

39. nataku00

nataku00 Savant (400) California Apr 5, 2010

I went to the San Ramon one at lunch and picked up two BA Bigfoots, leaving two in the cooler. Sorry to hear you weren't able to grab them. I was also disappointed by the lack of Sucks.

40. Bummer. Must of just missed them. Were they right next to the Estates? Cause by the time I got there that row was cleaned out if so.