1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Whole Foods...Shopping while drinking beer?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by 01Ryan10, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Member

When I was in Orlando last year, my first time in a Whole Foods, I ordered a pint of something, and the server asked if I was going to sit at the bar or shop with it. I was like whoa! "I can walk around the store with my beer?" He said yes, but he needed to know because they have hard plastic mugs for that.

So, I've only been to Whole Foods, HB, and they don't allow you to shop the store while drinking your beer. Do any of the OC locations allow shopping while drinking?
    xraided81 likes this.
  2. Halcyondays

Halcyondays Member

I know at least in Tustin, you have to stay in the little beer and wine area, it'd be cool to shop that way.
  3. mjl21

mjl21 Member

You have to stay in the designated area at the one in Santa Rosa.
  4. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

Good thing. I'd hate to be responsible for a multi-cart pileup near the aisle with BBQ tofu and organic beets.
  5. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Member

In CA you can only consume alcohol in an area designated for it. All of the WF locations that serve beer either have a gated area you have to stay in while you drink, or a separate taproom.
  6. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Member

Well shit...can't wait to get back to Orlando.
  7. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Member

Do the shopping carts have cup holders?
  8. impending

impending Member

no matter the restrictions

a tap room
    that at times serves excellence

in a frick'n grocery store
    is to be applauded
    cheers
    jd
  9. bird22

bird22 Member

The one I was at in Chicago did.
  10. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

I wish our local Whole Foods served beer.

I love Whole Foods, except for the food offerings
  11. ChazMania

ChazMania Member

The Whole Foods in Pasadena was one of my favorite places, they always had some killer beer on so anytime we needed something from the store I'd say "I'll go":) The closest one down here is in Encinitas and its tiny and I didn't see a bar/taps.
    Zhiguli likes this.
  12. besaunders

besaunders Member

The soon-to-open Whole Foods off Via De La Valle (which is in Solana Beach, Del Mar, or even San Diego depending on what you use to determine locality) could have taps and a bar - it will be interesting to see if they go that route. They are remodeling the La Jolla store, though I don't get the impression they are going to have a bar there - probably don't have the licensing for that anyway.
  13. afrokaze

afrokaze Member

14. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Member

Best Whole Foods tap room is in Santa Rosa.
  15. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Member

Wait, so if Whole Foods is the brewer of the beer, does that mean that any Whole Foods with a tap room would be able to fill growlers with WF beer, a la Stone's North Park location?
    afrokaze likes this.
  16. skawars1

skawars1 Member

It sure does. I shop there often with a beer in my hand or cup holder.
  17. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Member

the tarzana, ca whole foods is pretty good i love going to the bar there
    you can order food and have them bring to the bar i like to go Wednesday night
    it is ground chicken burger and side (usually go for fries) $3.99 can't go wrong
    and usually has some decent IPA on tap
  18. walterfredo

walterfredo Member

you can drink and shop at the WF in Reno.
  19. OUJayhawk1799

OUJayhawk1799 Member

Any clue what they currently have on tap?
  20. romwarrior

romwarrior Member

I believe in CA you can only do growlers of beer made on premises.
  21. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Member

Pizza Port and Stone are examples to the contrary.
  22. Cotchept

Cotchept Member

Some store let you some don't. The one in Chicago(Lincoln Park) does while the one i work at in Northbrook does not.
  23. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Member

I have never experienced either brewery filling growlers with guest beer, please share your insight.

EDIT: Forgot they sell what they brew at other locations (ie different port store, growler fill store). Nevermind.
  24. JayORear

JayORear Member

The one in Potrero Hill, SF, is better IMHO.
  25. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Member

That is so boss ! Rolling down the isle with a brew in hand ! I love America !
  26. Stevicus

Stevicus Member

I have lived off the Alameda for over 10 years and they have been talking about this Whole Foods since then. That corner they have finally claimed is going to be death(for everyone) if they really try to jam a store in there. It will have to be 5 stories tall to actually fit in a normal store, outside of the brewery they stated. Problem with WF, is they are a chain, and the fact they have good beer choices in some stores underscores the fact they carry the garbage World Beer brands, and other crap that is required to fill shelf space per corporate mandate. It is cheap.
    Along the lines of how multiple times at Wine Affairs I have told them to keep Kingfisher on tap at all times because of the Indian transplants that come in from the movie theater, and the bartender just blinks at me blearily and says, "But we have Pliny, everybody loves Pliny!" And then the Indian guys walk right back out. WA caters to its core clientele, which is great. WF wants to make money. Mark my words, WF Brewery beers will be the cheaper equivalent of BJ's.
    By the way, Kingfisher has a few styles, there is a blue label Export which is damn good, and a pink label strong style that comes in about 9% and is good. If WA could actually get some, I have NEVER seen these in the US, sales would easily jump 10-20%.
  27. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

WHAT?? they let you drink out in the open in the store... with the general public? WHAT ABOUT KIDS?!?!

I think it is things like these that will help with kids not binge drinking rather than keeping drinking some hidden, mythical secret thing. Just allow people to drink like it is no big deal, and guess what, it will be treated as nothing special.
  28. Centennial

Centennial Member

Same in pa, but certain nights they give out beer samples in the actual grocery section. Not really sure what the difference is.
  29. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Member

There's not much better than being able to sneak in a pour BCS after work while tackling the grocery list. Sure, dear, I'd be happy to do the grocery shopping tonight. But you owe me! ;)
  30. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

I only buy beer at Whole Foods, but shopping for beer while drinking a beer would be nice.