1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Who's brewing this weekend? 4/13/13

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by SFACRKnight, Apr 2, 2013.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Yeah, I know it's early for this, but I'm really bored and looking forward to trying this recipe...
    I've got an American IPA lined up for this next brew day.
    OG 1.065
    FG 1.010 (hopefully a little less)
    66 IBU
    9.6 srm
    7.0lbs light LME (still working my mini mashes)
    2.0lb Marris Otter (some nutty flavor)
    .5lb Belgian biscuit
    .25 Crystal 60
    .25 Crystal 20
    0.6oz magnum @ 60
    0.5 Chinook @ 45
    0.5 Chinook @ 30
    0.5 Chinook @ 15
    0.5 Chinook @ flameout w/ 20 min hopstand
    0.5 Citra @ flameout w/ 20 min hopstand
    1.0 oz Citra dryhop @ 7 days.
    I'm pretty damned excited to brew, it's been a while.

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

3. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

Looks tasty, I like chinook!

I don't think I will be brewing that weekend. Reason is, Blanco Brewery (RABC) is having their anniversary party on saturday, and we're going with a bunch of people to camp out on my MIL's ranch, which is right by the brewery. We've even got a couple of non-drinkers to shuttle us to and from the brewery. There's a great setup there too, water, showers, power, plus a couple of campers and plenty of tents. Should be a great time, they have great beer!

(I don't usually brew on sundays due to band practice. Maybe we'll just brew on friday or monday then). :D

4. Brewing an maple brown ale with 53oz of pure maple syrup at flameout. Should be around 7.5% or so. Soaking 2oz of Medium Toast French Oak in Cabin Fever Maple Whiskey for a couple weeks now. Going to age this beer in secondary on the oak cubes for a bit of maple whiskey flavor as well.

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  5. SFACRKnight

Man, finding time to brew can be problematic, but when you're out enjoying things like that it is permissible. I've been thinking about taking some vacation this summer and brewing for at least two days. Hope to get three or four batches fermenting. Also been thinking about a brew party with the three other homebrewers on my block.

6. AlCaponeJunior

Having help really helps! My brother and me brew and one friend is always there helping. This is part of why we're going to upgrade to more gallons soon. Well the help, plus the fact that three people drink the beer a lot faster than one does! :rolleyes:

Anybody got a line on a good used 10 gallon or larger system, or a suggestion on a place to look? I have money but not the kind of money I'd need for a brand new 15 gallon or larger conical system. I've been trying to find 15 gallon kegs to convert but nobody seems to want to part with them, lol.

7. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

You can buy them new from Stout Kettles and Tanks (15.5 gallon kegs) for $129 each. If going for a 10 gallon system, kegs are great boil kettles (love mine), although I'd rather go for a non-keg mash tun in excess of 15 gallons to allows you to do RIS/Barleywines/etc on the 10 gallon scale.

8. Pegli

Pegli Savant (315) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

Spring has finally reached New England so I'm hoping to get outside and brew a Helles Lager for summertime consumption.

9. Only brewing related item for me will be dry hopping my IPA as long as my gravity reading is ok. Planning on a saison in about a month though.

10. Brewing a slightly modified Kolsch recipe and will be cold crashing the starter tonight or tomorrow.
    Prepping to brew a Barleywine in the coming weeks.

Designing an APA recipe. Feedback would be appreciated here:
    5 lbs Maris Otter
    2.5 lbs German Pilsner
    .5 lbs Biscuit

.6oz Chinook @ 60
    .2oz Chinook @ 20
    .2oz Chinook @ 10
    2oz Centennial Whirlpool
    1oz Citra Whirlpool
    2oz Centennial Dry Hop
    1oz Citra Dry Hop

Wyeast 1318

Mash at 151

OG: 1.050
    FG: 1.012
    36 IBU

11. SFACRKnight

Looks tasty, I like munich in my apa's, but that's me. I'd brew it though!

OddNotion likes this.
  12. This weekend is 4/6/13. Hopefully a wheat pale ale and bottling a Tripel

kjyost likes this.
  13. Yeah, Munich is normally a mainstay for me too, in the Pale Wheat Ale I brew as my house beer, but I wanted to mix it up a little bit this time and have not used Biscuit before.

14. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Munich is a MUST in an APA bill.

15. barfdiggs

Really?! I've never brewed one with munich. My favorite to date is Pale, Vienna, Wheat, Victory and C20.

jlpred55 likes this.
  16. inchrisin

I don't get much out of Vienna that I don't taste in American 2 row. I don't know that I've done a side-by side. I've had luck with American 2 row, munich C40 and some carapils. I'll try some lower crystal and Vienna next time.

17. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

I have, it's good when I want more malt backbone, but I have gone the other way. I "currently" prefer 100% pale malt of some type, I usually use Rahr but Crisp or TF is good as well. It is quite suprising what just pale malt does.

NiceFly and barfdiggs like this.
  18. inchrisin

I think my problem was that my APAs always lost their malt backbone. When that's gone the beer is usually over hopped (IMO) and had a thin mouthfeel.

19. barfdiggs

That makes sense. I tend to go for the West Coast Extra Pale Ale type, that are basically hop bombs with light biscuity malt and not much else. I like Munich in my IPAs, so would probably like a more malty APA... added to the queue.

20. barfdiggs

Interest piqued. I just tried Weyermann Pale out and loved it, might go the 100% pale malt route with that on a future APA.

jlpred55 likes this.
  21. SFACRKnight

I haven't used victory, and am curious as to what it adds to a APA. I've actually been tossing around the idea of brewing a 100% munich APA. Or maybe a marzen grain bill with ale yeast and some centennial... yum.

22. AlCaponeJunior

I think it looks tasty. I love chinook, centennnial and citra, so I don't see how you can go wrong there. I assume that's less than 5 gallons?

I haven't tried Weyerman pale malt yet. I might make a smash out of it tho, just to see what it's liike. I have a number of beers in the queue ahead of it tho. :cool:

Munich in anything hoppy is likely to be tasty. :D

23. It is a 5 gallon recipe... I get very good efficiency.

Thanks for the feedback, I have been debating the chinook part of the recipe but I am liking it more and more.

24. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (380) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Not sure about 2 weeks out, but 4/7/13 I will brew a Dusseldorf Alt. I'll donate this brew to our club's participation in Jacksonville's Craft Beer Fest in mid-May.

wscaffe likes this.
  25. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (595) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I will be brewing 15 gallons. One 10 gallon (over night mash) splitch batch Munich Dunkel (Munich Lager) and Oud Bruin (Brett L and Lacto). Then 5 gallons of Pilsner since my last attempt at a Pils is more of a Munich Helles.

26. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

By that time I should have brewed a wheat porter and will be getting ready for either an English IPA or a Pacific Jade/TF Golden Promise SMaSH APA.

27. DanimalFL

DanimalFL Aficionado (235) Florida Mar 15, 2012

I used to think I liked APAs until I figured out I actually like session IPAs. Total fail for competitions.

barfdiggs likes this.
  28. premierpro

premierpro Savant (350) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Not brewing but will be dry hopping an IPA.

29. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

Oh! And I'll also be kegging a Three P-esque Quad. First time ever kegging a high gravity beer, excited.

30. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (595) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Scratch that, I am brewing 10.5 gallons, single mash of 26# Vienna and 2# Munich II. Split to 2 kettles. One will get 1.5# Sugar and a touch of Roast Barley (steeped) for an Imperial Red IPA with CTZ, Chinook, and Simcoe, 1056, 1.077 OG, 116 IBUs, ~8.1% ABV. The other half will get a steep of Caramunich 120, Special B, and CarafaIII for an Oud Bruin fermented with Brett L and Lacto for 9 months or so.

FeDUBBELFIST and SFACRKnight like this.
  31. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (390) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I'm down to 6 weeks remaining to finish the beer I'm serving at my wedding. All 4 are nearing the end of primary. Some dryhopping and fruit additions are needed this weekend.

1) 60/40 base/wheat American Wheat fermented with kolsch yeast (wlp029)
    2) irish dry stout w/ belgian cocoa
    3) rye ipa (nugget/amarillo/columbus/galaxy combo)
    4) hibiscus/bramble/raspberry brown(ish) ale w/ a touch of wheat. Lots of crystal to balance the tart bitterness of the fruit and hibiscus.

inchrisin likes this.
  32. Thinking about doing my first mild. Probably going with this one, which I picked up on HBT...Orfly's "Mild Mannered Ale," lots of folks there can't say enough about the recipe.

OG: 1.038, 15 IBU

75.7% MO
    17.7% Crystal 60
    6.6% Chocolate
    .75 Fuggles @ 60
    .25 Fuggles @ 15
    Wyeast 1968

Probably mash high, like 156-158, to give it some good body.

I was also messing around BeerSmith, came up with this. No idea how it would pan out. I've wanted to play with Brown Malt some...really like it in HF George, but I want to focus on getting some session beers together for the spring. Will probably just do the first one, though.

OG: 1.039, 19IBU

75% MO
    8.3% Crystal 60
    8.3% Brown Malt
    8.3% Chocolate Malt
    1oz Willamette @60
    Wyeast 1968

33. inchrisin

Just making an excessively large yeast starter for a lager I hope to do next weekend. I'll be bottling/kegging a 60 shilling ale this weekend too.

34. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Not brewing, but will be bottling a Simcoe Pale Ale that weekend.

35. barfdiggs

No brewing, but serving lots of my homebrew at a close friend's wedding. 20 gallons of Double decocted weizen (WY3638, 60% Wheat, 30% Pils, 10% Munich), 10 gallons IPA (5 gallons w/ Simcoe as 3rd DH, 5 gallons w/ Galaxy as 3rd DH) and 5 gallons Peanut Butter Chocolate Imperial Milk Stout. Should be a great time... especially since my wife is the officiant for the wedding!

OddNotion likes this.
  36. Brewing up a big imperial stout on Saturday. Hopefully this bad boy ends up clocking in at 12-13% and is drinking nicely in time for the winter.

37. SFACRKnight

Just to throw it out there I failed at reading a calendar. I meant the 6th.... oops.

mborden likes this.
  38. barfdiggs

That looks very similar to a Mild I just made, that came out very well (I had Crystal at about 12.5% split between medium and extra dark english crystal, and pale chocolate in place of Chocolate). I mashed at 159, and the body is right where it should be. You should get a nice amount of roast and dark chocolate in that to cut some of the sweetness from the crystal and marris, looks good. Like you, I've never played with Brown malt (nor Black Patent or flaked corn for that matter), and have been looking for an excuse to play around with all three.

JebediahScooter likes this.
  39. Just ordered my first set of home brewing equipment, so with a little luck, I'll be brewing on the 13th!

40. That's the goal!