1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who's brewing this weekend, Groundhog Day/Superbowl edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by CASK1, Feb 1, 2013.

1. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

I've got a busy weekend planned: racking a Maibock to secondary for lagering, racking my first two meads, and brewing a Graetzer. What about you?
  2. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Just looking for this thread. You came up with a better title than I would of Cask1. I'm going to dry hop my Amarillo/Simcoe/Columbus Ipa. If it's not too windy on Saturday I'm going to brew a Citra/Simcoe Ipa
  3. Doing my second beer! Tongue Splitter kit from NB. Can't wait to try my new brew pot..
  4. I think I might brew a Saison, because ive been craving them. If anyone wants to give me a good extract recipe i'm all ears. I want a quick brew day...
  5. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Imperial Red Ale w/ Rye, US, NZ and AU Hops, and an English Mild using Mild Malt & ECY Mild (Split batch with WY1968), both for the first time.
  6. kegging an ESB and brewing a Blonde Ale
  7. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Savant (485) Virginia Feb 4, 2004

Brewing an India Pale Lager, Dortmunder base with Mosaic hops. Yeast cake will be used for upcoming Smoked Baltic Porter.
    jlpred55 and CASK1 like this.
  8. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

9. mattclough

mattclough Disciple (65) Maryland Jan 31, 2013

Probably brewing an oyster stout or my Tiger Glen Ale.
  10. Might get around to a Dopplebock. It was -32 this morning though so it had better warm up...
  11. Just kegged an APA this week and a OPA (Oat IPA) last week.
    I live in New Orleans, and with all the Groundhog Day excitement, I almost forgot about the Super Bowl till I saw your post. Thanks. ;)
    fastenoughforphish likes this.
  12. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

Was planning on brewing a Bock and a DoppleBock partigyle, but since this weekend is becoming so busy I decided to move it to next weekend. Instead I'll bottle up some beers to empty some kegs.
  13. Will be kegging and carbing a Maple Ale tonite and brewing an APA tomorrow.
  14. Brewing up a K├Âlsch.

Also, hopefully will be kegging up a Kentucky Common and possibly bottling a sour. We'll see.
  15. I will be buying ingredients for about 3 beers and dry hopping a pale ale. No actual brewing though :eek:
  16. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

No time for brewing this weekend. What little time I have will be used bottling a few bottles from kegs, swapping kegs in/out of the keezer, and racking one or two batches to kegs. And then hopefully actually drinking a pint or two during the Super Bowl, which would be nice.
  17. Smoked english mild. Hoping to use some of the Briess cherrywood smoked malt.
    koopa likes this.
  18. Bottling my RIS and my DIPA. I've got a starter on the stir plate to bottle the RIS; my 2011 batch never carbed up and it was only in fermenters six weeks, this one has been around for ten, and my yeast vial is rather old so a s tarter it is. I'll also turn around after those are done and make a starter for another lager I'm brewing on the 10th
  19. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

6lbs Pils LME
    12oz Wheat DME
    8oz Corn Sugar

10 - 15 IBUs of something clean at 60 min
    1oz Citra at 15 min
    1.5oz Citra at FO

Wyeast 3711
    jlordi12 likes this.
  20. Just added 3 pounds of toasted coconut to our coconut milk stout. Smells great in the house.
  21. dethTr0ll

dethTr0ll Disciple (70) Delaware Dec 7, 2010

Im doing a nut brown and buying my first kegging setup.
  22. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Brewing my first Belgian Pale Ale tomorrow and will be reusing the yeast in a couple of weeks for a Belgian Strong Golden.
    FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  23. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

This is what I am doing. But I am mixing some more hops in. I scored Mosaic from the LHBS so I am going that route with Amarillo, Simcoe and Columbus. Lighter hand than IPA shooting for 50 IBU using the same hop schedule I normally use as far as additions and DH. I'm using a similar base. 90% Weyermann Bo-Pils and 10% Munich 10L.
  24. Not brewing until Tuesday, but need to feed the pipeline. Steam Entropy Lager first up to get rid of some Northern Brewer hops I bought on a lark, then a bunch of stuff I've never brewed before to help me identify off-flavors for BJCP studying...should be a fun year : )
  25. MLucky

MLucky Savant (355) California Jul 31, 2010

Nothing fancy. A brown porter.
  26. I'll have to rack something into secondary (keg) to brew my thin mint stout on Sunday. I'm out of fermentors otherwise.
    Bubbalito likes this.
  27. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Had a plan to do a Belgian blonde, but my window of opportunity slipped by. Maybe next weekend. I'll probably just do some routine upkeep: clean a keg, buy buy some new tubing, etc.
  28. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

You might already be aware of this but Mosaic is related to Simcoe, so using it in conjunction with Simcoe will probably produce a beer that is quite dominated by Simcoe like traits.
  29. I have a busy weekend planned myself. I will be bottling 7 gallons of berry wheat, racking 11 gallons of blonde ale to secondary and adding gelatin to fine. Today I brought home 50 lbs. of grain for 10 gallons of RIS I will be brewing on Sunday. It will be spending some time in a whiskey barrel before it is all said and done. Can't wait to try it next Fall.
  30. I'm mashing as we speak for an Oud Bruin. Earlier today I bought the grain for a smoked rye dopplebock and tomorrow I will be transferring both an RIS and a BSGA to the secondary. I think I finally have my pipeline in order...
    koopa likes this.
  31. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Yes I'm aware, Simcoe is making up 10% of the mix and dry hop. 40% is mosaic and the rest balance of the other 2.
  32. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Bottling the last cider of the season and preparing for a black wheat IPA midweek.
  33. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

No brewing. CO2 force racking my regular and Black IPAs to secondary for dry hopping. Will bottle next week.
  34. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

Lots of firsts for me today. First time brewing in 2013. First time brewing at my new house. First time brewing on my new brew stand I bought yesterday. And my first time brewing a Lambic.
    barfdiggs, jmich24 and CASK1 like this.
  35. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (355) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

I wish. My fermentors are all full. I almost convinced myself to go out and pick up another couple buckets so that I could brew today. Unfortunately I have more beer than I can healthily consume myself already (not including what is currently fermenting) and the grad-student social life doesn't lend itself to rapid consumption...

I'm pretty sure I like brewing beer at least 2-3 fold more than drinking it, which is saying a lot!
    Bubbalito likes this.
  36. Brewing a Cali Common, and am gonna put my Helles back in the fridge to lager. Rejoicing that my local six pack shop got Lagunita's bombers in finally.
  37. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I doughed in on this thing of beauty about 30 minutes ago:

6 Gallons 1.081 O.G. 92.5 IBUs
    16.4# Gambrinus ESB Malt
    .8# Carapils
    .8# Carastan
    1.75oz Belma (90 min)
    .75oz Columbus (30 min)
    1oz Citra (0 min)
    1oz Cascade (0 min)
    1oz Columbus (0 min)
    1oz Amarillo (Dry)
    1oz Citra (Dry)
    1oz Cascade (dry)
    Probably some more dry hopping prior to finishing
    US-05
  38. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Clearly you are going to the wrong graduate school ;)
    NiceFly and mountsnow1010 like this.
  39. BILF

BILF Advocate (575) Israel Jan 9, 2010

Belgian Wheat Ale
  40. Bubbalito

Bubbalito Savant (435) Virginia Jan 2, 2012

Brewed up a DIPA yesterday with Columbus, Centennial and Falconers Flight. It about time to bottle the Chocolate, Bourbon stout that has been in the secondary for about a month, maybe next week.