1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who's brewing this weekend?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by pweis909, Jan 25, 2013.

1. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Am I the early bird that gets to start this thread? For me, it's either a Belgian Pale Ale or an English Bitter.

2. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I am going to whip up a wheat beer. 100% wheat using up the rest of my malt, provided lhbs has some rice hulls.
    Picking up some high gravity yeast to try and finish out my monster weizenbock.

3. DIPA and maybe a Dopple/Eisbockif I have time.

4. Bottling an oatmeal stout and brewing Midwest's Hophead DIPA. Trying to decide whether to pitch 1 or 2 packs of S-05. OG is supposed to be 1.070-1.074 and per MrMalty, I need 1.2 packets.

5. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

No brewing for me. I have a Vienna in the fermenter that needs another week there. When that's done, I have a bock and a dopplebock in the plans.

But I do plan on going beer hunting this weekend, in search of some Heady Topper. I'll be in Burlington VT. Anyone have any clues where I can find some?

6. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

Brewing our Vanilla Bean Shtout again. Turned out great and it is entered in a competition so we are brewing it
    again so we can pour it at the tasting/awards ceremony.

7. I bottled a sour pale on nectarines and a sour dubbel on plums last night. I’m hoping to keg an amber IPA and a coffee stout this weekend. Hoping to brew a ~5% ABV saison next weekend… the empty fermentors are starting to stack up.

8. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

On Sunday I'll be brewing an imperial stout to blend with an earlier version of the beer that aged in a 3-gallon whiskey barrel.

9. Pale wheat ale with Amarillo and Moteuka for me. Probably kegging and carbing my dry stout with vanilla beans (vanilla flavor doesnt seem to want to comethrough very much though)

10. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

http://hopville.com/recipe/1674220
    My homebrew club has acquired 4 wine barrels...we want to get them filled. I am taking part in two of them, and the Wee Heavy is first up on my brew schedule. This will be my first time doing a "true" boil down (2 gallons down to a quart), so we will see how it comes out. Next weekend will be the Flanders, which which I am setting out dedicated equipment for (finally funking some shit up to do more sours in the future :)
    http://nordeastbrewersalliance.wordpress.com/group-projects-and-experiments/barrel-project-2-0/

Our first barrel, racked in June is coming along very nicely...but it still has some time to go.
    http://nordeastbrewersalliance.wordpress.com/group-projects-and-experiments/barrel-aging-project/

CASK1 likes this.
  11. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Savant (495) Virginia Feb 4, 2004

Just mashed in a Gratzer. 100% Weyermann's Oak Smoked Wheat, Saaz, WY1056.

CASK1 and skivtjerry like this.
  12. Interested to taste how that one comes out! haven't brewed a smoked beer in awhile.

13. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Trying a rebrew of my accidentally bretted Belgian Pale, harvesting the strain from the one remaining bottle. We'll see how this goes. (I'll be hitting the brew with the harvested yeast at secondary).

14. Brewing an Oktoberfest, my first try at a true lager, also my first try at decoction mashing. Also going to rack my DIPA and taste it, it's currently in the first round of dry hopping.

15. ditch

ditch Aficionado (240) Virginia Aug 3, 2009

Brewing my House Pale Ale (2 row/Crystal 77 Chinook/Simcoe/Amarillo) with a new water profile to see how it turns out. Racked the Schwarzbiers of the primary cakes and "Torpedo'd" my Mosaic American Style Bitter this week. This is the best hobby in the world!

Thorpe429 likes this.
  16. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I was thinking about brewing a Hopslam clone - I just need to figure out if my cooler MLT is big enough.

17. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

What size batch? And, how big of a cooler?
    http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml - go to Can I Mash It?
    Are you batch sparging? You can always split the sparge up if need be.

HopSlam shouldn't be too big of a grain bill, so I am guessing you should be fine.

18. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Northern English Brown Ale.

Disclaimer: this is a BJCP Northern English Brown Ale, intended for BJCP competition. No actual English people, from the artificially and erroneously created North or South, will be asked to drink it.

bum732 likes this.
  19. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Savant (495) Virginia Feb 4, 2004

I'll let you know Mike.

20. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Imperial IPA & Belgian Dubbel

21. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Brewing an APA with Calypso.

22. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot clone.

23. i'm currently mid-boil on a black pepper witbier. it's going to be a 'winter white' so i bumped the OG up to about 1.060 so we'll see how that goes...

24. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (440) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

Pitch 1.2 packs... possibly more depending on the date on packaging.

25. Im feeling a bit ambitios this weekend so Im brewing a Belgian-Wit and a Saison. Although I may have to buy an extra carboy, I have to rack a Hellas and a 3gal experiment.

26. drinking one now.... great choice to brew this bad boy!

27. If rehydrating, I'd just add 1 IMHO. Underpitch by 17% or overpitch by 67%. Also he's using US05 so age is (likely) inconsequential.

28. I'm getting behind on my brew schedule for the year but I have more pressing business for the next couple months. I've been trying to brew this coffee oatmeal stout for nearly a month and I just don't have the time. I am testing out some new yeast strains so it's at least letting me do something brewing related. Not quite the same as a full brew day but I'll take what I can get right now.

29. Sharing a corny of Coconut Porter that I brewed a little over a month ago at a tasting I'm hosting Sunday - it turned out pretty to be a pretty darn good beer - I much prefer it over Maui's Coconut Porter which I really. I then plan to help a friend to brew (who bought my first all grain setup) on Monday - we're doing a belgian wit. I then have plans to make a citrus saison of some sort on my system if I can't squeeze it in after the brew with him. Fermenting and kegging space has opened up quite a bit in the last few weeks as I've been doing quite a bit more drinking of the homebrew than producing. Cheers!

30. Currently cleaning up from brewing a strong English ale.

31. I'm about to bottle a Belgian dark strong.

32. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Chalk up one Hefe in the fermenter and a stirplate full of 099.

33. Brewed a Belgian inspired porter with special B, brown sugar and 1762 yeast.

34. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I think they are already sold out at the brewery. Call Beverage Warehouse in Winooski, Corner Market in Richmond and Hunger Mountain Co-op in Montpelier. If you've never had it before and just want to taste it, go to Prohibition Pig or the brewery in Waterbury; they have it on draft.

35. skivtjerry

You are sending a bottle to Marquis, right??

OddNotion likes this.
  36. skivtjerry

My starter wasn't ready; I'll brew the saison next week:(

37. not brewing yet... wrapping up previous batches. dry-hopped an IPA (celebration clone) last weekend...5 gal batch.

how long should I let it sit in primary with the cascade and centennial on it (.25 ounces of each)?

Tempted to add some more of each for another week, then bottle.

38. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Entering the pipeline...
    Left-handed Liberty pale (Anchor knock-off)
    Racked Hallertau wheat over Walmarti Select Peruvian red raspberry

Exiting the pipeline...
    PtE
    Finest Kinda IPA

39. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Not brewing this weekend, but a Gratzer is up next for me. Smoked the wheat last weekend.

SwillBilly likes this.
  40. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

Brewed a slightly amended version of the King Henry clone recipe that was discussed on this forum. Had a few "worst case scenario" moments (e.g., false bottom came loose which led to a completely stuck sparge requiring me to pour my mash tun into my kettle, clear the clog, and pour back into the mash tun), but I ended up hitting my target gravity exactly and I think this will result in an excellent beer. Now enjoying a BCBCS to celebrate a solid, yet sometimes aggravating brew day.