1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who's brewing this weekend?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by pweis909, Jan 25, 2013.

1. markschemper

markschemper Initiate (20) Nevada Jan 26, 2013

New guy here. Tomorrow I'm brewing my first batch ever. English Pale Ale, 5 gallons, partial boil, extract kit, in my kitchen on an electric stove top. Now, what could possibly go wrong... :)

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Congratulations and Good Luck!

If you don't read the first few chapters of this or something equivalent, plenty...
    www.howtobrew.com

markschemper likes this.
  3. markschemper

markschemper Initiate (20) Nevada Jan 26, 2013

Thanks for the link. I've read some equivalents, but will give this a look, also.

4. [quote. Now, what could possibly go wrong... :)[/quote]

Don't use the yeast in the kit and watch for boil overs.

5. The drinking of homebrew more than brewing has clearly shown in my previous post. Holy grammar issues. Don't type paragraphs on a phone while somewhat intoxicated. I apologize. Happy brewing everyone!

6. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I cringe when I reread most of my lengthier posts. I think the human brain is ill-equipped for composing written speech and proofreading simultaneously. That's why composition instructors make you do rewrites. I think most people on the internet are more literate than they appear (at least I hope that is true). Plus, you were disadvantaged with drink, which also may apply to most people on the internet.

7. haha

Grammar issues aside, this got a good laugh/groan out of me.

8. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Brewed a Vienna Lager in Friday.

9. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

No brewing, but I did bottle my chocolate-orange wit yesterday. More chocolate and less orange than I had hoped for, but it should be a fine beer, nonetheless. Last weekend's Cz/G pilsner still bubbling along.

10. 33nickadams

33nickadams Savant (280) Michigan Apr 12, 2010

A West Coast IPA for me today. Hope to have it ready for the guys weekend up north in about a month.

11. Brewed up a Honey Porter for my wife a few weeks ago, today we bottle!

12. cosco

cosco Aficionado (120) Michigan Dec 5, 2007

Brewed up Larry's Irish Ale on Saturday. More or less a Smithwick's clone for St Patty's day and named after my Father-in-Law. I bottled my Maori Blonde today. It's a hoppy blonde ale with Pacific Jade and Nelson Sauvin.

13. ebustin

ebustin Zealot (95) Pennsylvania Oct 13, 2009

I've got a Belgium Pale Ale and a Irish Red started. I'm going to follow them up as soon as I transfer them to the secondary with an IPA and a maybe a wheat. Any suggestions?

14. I made a brown ale today that I'm gonna rack on a bunch of cherries, oak, and some brett.

15. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (225) New York Aug 3, 2012

Just finished an American Wheat spiced with lime zest.

16. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (405) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

Just kegged my German pale ale. 50/50 Munich & Pils, wy3333 over pitched @ 62 degrees, 1 oz. magnum @ 60, 8oz. of Saaz in every angle. This is my first non-BJCP beer recipe since really figuring out how to make great beer consistently. Had a ton of Saaz in the freezer from last year and some Munich/Pils also that needed to be used.

17. Keyman

Keyman Disciple (55) Dec 4, 2012

Not brewing but just got done making some Caramel Malt 40L & 60L. Germination was the last two days and today I Stewed and roasted. Smells good around here.

18. I did my first decoction mash today to make an Oktoberfest. also my first true lager and first time playing with water adjustments, and my first forced ferment test, and my first time setting up a blowoff. I knew it was going to take a long time but the decoction wasn't actually that hard. I missed my rest temps though so I pulled an additional decoction to raise the temp. and at one point set up my CFC backwards.

19. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

That's a lot of firsts. Hard Core!
    BTW, unless you have really tiny headspace in your fermenter, or ferment this at ale temps, you're not going to need that blowoff.

20. I put it in my 6 gallon carboy b/c it was available and I want to monitor it so I can choose the right moment to start a diacetyl rest. last time I used the carboy for a primary I had an overflow (thankfully no beer on the ceiling) thanks though, I'll put an airlock on when I get out the cleaning/sanitizing supplies to make my next starter

21. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Extending the weekend, just put a Dampfbeir in the fermenter.:)

22. Naugled

Naugled Savant (490) New York Sep 25, 2007

Wow! I've completely missed that style. I just added it to my summer line up. And to my beers to find list.

NiceFly likes this.
  23. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Having my days off mid-week always makes me feel like a liar when I say stuff like "I'll be bottling a porter and a cider".

24. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I tried one about 3-4 years ago. I like the concept, but my execution was flawed (I used WB-06 which turned out to be a poor substitute for a liquid yeast, IMO).

25. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I was introduced to the style by (the somewhat infamous) jasonjlewis, it was sent in the Belgian Yeast experiment run by jettanbass9 a few years ago. Tasty, can't wait to see how mine comes out. I used cane sugar as 5% of fermentables to get the attenuation down a bit.

And I am going to brew an IPA tomorrow with some Mosaic I picked up at the lhbs. All I have to do is ignite the burner.

Naugled likes this.
  26. First shot at a Centennial Blonde with second generation Cal yeast

27. Brewed an IPA with 4oz of late citra additions with warrior for the majority of bittering. 2oz of citra will be dry hopped

28. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Will be brewing a Belgian Pale Ale this weekend and then reusing the yeast cake for a Belgian Strong Golden Ale that I will be brewing 2 weekends later.