1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Who's getting their KBS today?!?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hallandoates, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Just confirmed I have a 4-pack waiting for me. Never tried it before. Very much looking forward to it. Who else is getting it today or has already gotten it?

2. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I should be getting a couple. It's frustrating because production increased, but so did their distribution footprint. The past few years, I've been able to get one to two 4 packs. This year, my shops are getting one case and limiting purchases to a single 12 oz. bottle per customer. I'll still get a 4 pack's worth, but it will take some driving.

JohnnyMc, Tiger33 and KhakCane like this.
  3. Yeah, one shop here is doing single bottles and took reservations this morning and closed them in about 2 minutes. I never get what I want from there, hence, I don't shop there anymore. My regular shop does lists in advance and always takes care of me. They're also doing 4-packs so all the better. Out of respect for these shops I will not name names but in my opinion, one is significantly more well-run than the other.

4. I got one bottle (that's the limit) the other 2 stores in town sold out before I got there. 4 total cases in town, hit at 10am, gone by 10:30. Glad I at least got one. Gonna drink it tomorrow for my birthday!

Brehnert, Willbfun, jdhende and 5 others like this.
  5. BigAl723

BigAl723 Aficionado (240) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Would stores put it on shelf (if they even have it) today as opposed to yesterday? I was under the assumption that it would be put on shelves yesterday. I checked my local store but had no luck. Perhaps I should give it a try today?

6. depends on the state and distributor. I'm in St. Louis and it's all arriving today.

By the way, does anyone know how to change location? Somehow I put Arkansas in by accident. Thanks!

7. jahbulon

jahbulon Aficionado (155) New York Jan 25, 2013

most likely wont be on any shelves and if it is displayed it would most likely be behind the counter. I got to my store just as they got it n the nice gentleman gave me a 4-pack and i kissed his feet cuz they were $22.99. I then drove downtown to the smaller store and they were kind enough to sell me a 4-pack as well but for $24.99. No huge deal. Just didn't wanna be that guy to buy two 4-packs of KBS at the same joint ya kno. Didn't realize how lucky I was til I read this page tho. Good Luck Everyone!!!

8. mental1

mental1 Aficionado (175) Virginia Jan 31, 2013

Yeah, so the local store is "releasing" it on Saturday. Have to wait in line for an hour and only 30 people will get a maximum of 2 each. So anyone with family obligations like myself is out of luck.

9. What are thoughts on fresh vs. aged KBS?

10. The more I pursue whales, the more I am convinced that a list is the way to go.

EdelweissDad and KhakCane like this.
  11. Kerrie

Kerrie Advocate (520) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

It's going for $5 a bottle (limit two) at my usual shop, but the release starts at 5 tomorrow (which is when I get off of work) and I know people will be lining up in advance, so I feel like by the time I get there, it'll be sold out and I'll have wasted my time. Hope you guys have better luck, and hopefully I can find it elsewhere :/

12. RichD

RichD Champion (780) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I'll probably get 2 4 packs. My local shop will contact me when it comes in and I'll definitely get a 4pack. Can't wait to try this!

13. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

i've had '10 and 12' in the past two weeks. I prefer 12' the coffee was still there and the heat had toned down a lot. I thought it was perfect. '10 was to long in my opinion, no coffee left but was silky smooth. I will make my decision this week to age another.

hallandoates likes this.
  14. Got my ``allotment'' (1 bottle). That's okay. I'm grateful to get to try it again. The first time I had it, I was blown away. The second and third times, I was underwhelmed. We'll see if my palate has changed any more.

You know, my bottle shop only got in 2 cases (hence the 1 bottle per customer limit). I feel really bad for the guys who work at the shop and have to answer hundreds of phone calls just for the privilege of selling two measly cases. Long after the last bottle is sold, ``KBS'' is definitely a 4-letter word around there.

elgiacomo likes this.
  15. BigAl723

BigAl723 Aficionado (240) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

So all this KBS talk got me motivated to find some. Made a call hoping this newer place would have some and sure enough, got a 4 pack with my name on it available for pickup on Friday. I thought the guy was going to say I was limited to 1 or 2 bottles but he said he'd save me the whole 4 pack. So much win.

16. Funny you say that...I called my shop to check in on it earlier. After calling like 5 times getting a busy signal (wonder why it was busy:rolleyes:), the guy finally answered sounding all flustered and when I asked about KBS he sounded pissed and asked me if I was on the list. When I told him I was and he found my name, his tone totally changed to friendly and he said they'd have my 4-pack today and would call me when it got there. Not sure how much they were getting though.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  17. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (485) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

I was fortunate to set up a purchase for today last week. I am glad I do not have to join the chase.

Thickfreakness likes this.
  18. Sometimes I wish my bottle shop reserved bottles like this. They used to, but had a bad experience when Founders released CBS a couple years ago. They thought they were going to get a decent amount of it and took about 25 names. When they only got a few bottles of it, a lot of people were disappointed. Now it's strictly first come - first served.

19. We (mid-Missouri) received ours today. Not as much hit shelves as in previous years and it is selling out within minutes. No longer a shelf beer, that's for sure!

20. just means people need to get on the list as soon as the list is made available in order to be at the top. Definitely the best way. Otherwise the only people who get them are the jobless wooks that can afford to spend their morning lining up at the door.

21. DanU

DanU Aficionado (225) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2013

Anyone around pittsburgh PA have any idea where to find KBS? My usual shop said they aren't getting any, and I have been calling some bars in pittsburgh but none of them know if they are getting any.

22. abkayak

abkayak Savant (400) New York Jan 8, 2013

i got 2 btls...made sure i left plenty behind.. im trusting you all on this.

Providence likes this.
  23. I had 2012 KBS on tap a few weeks ago and it was starting to get smokey. I always try to drink my bottles in under 8-10 months.

24. I got a 4 pack yesterday in CT, had to be put on a list and when I got there they still had 1 4 pack that was not spoken for.

spookyspeeg likes this.
  25. or the wooks like me who can ``escape'' for 20 minutes with nobody being the wiser :)

hallandoates likes this.
  26. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Hopefully me

27. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (225) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

scored a case and a half yesterday.

28. stayclean

stayclean Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I know one store that is selling it today, but it's about a 20-30 minute drive and I do not own a car (no one told me how spread out this place is when I moved here from Philly, thanks a lot!). Another place said it's going to "dedicated clients". Since these stores are just selling singles with 1/customer limits anyway, I think I'm just going to not even bother at all this year. Absolutely love this beer, but not worth the fucking hassle (how are people who never had it before getting 4pks? Bah! :().

29. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Not me!! :(

30. lic217

lic217 Advocate (545) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Sorry for the long story, but needed to share.

I have just started getting into rarer beers. I was able to get my hands on Stone enjoy by, Lunch, Gandhi Bot a couple of times, and Bourbon county. All at the only two stores I have gone to in the last few months. I shop at both package stores about once a week. I had this week off of work and was excited to chase the KBS dream.

The store I have been going to longer notified me that they would be selling it on Monday and it would be a one or two bottle limit so most could try it.

The other store does 1 4 pack limit and first come first serve. I called them Monday and they said they would be getting it around 1 pm, but only 1 case. As soon as I got there (about 12:45) they said they had not gotten it yet. I figured I would take a quick look for anything else. Right when I am about to check out the guy comes out and said it was here. Within 10 minutes 3 of the 6 4 packs were sold. I felt extremely lucky.

With one four pack in hand onto my other packy. when I arrived he immediately told me that it was coming in today, but needed to be put into the computer, which the guy currently working could not do. It would get done later that night, but said he would start selling them tomorrow.

Finally I stopped at some random whole in the wall place on my way home (never been there). They had the WORST SELECTION I HAVE EVER SEEN. I looked around and was going to leave, but the women stopped me and asked if she could order me something. I thought no way in hell could she get KBS, because she did not know what it was. Well 10 minutes after I told her what I was looking for, she told me she could get it, but only if I took the case (she was worried it wouldnt sell). It was the last case the distributor had I agreed and just picked up the case. I feel like I won the lotto.

All and all I have 28 bottles and will not get any from my most frequented shop (let some others get it, because I have enough). I also bought two year old yeti yesterday, which I have never tried.

I have never had KBS. I hope it is good.

31. The beer guy at my local shop often tells me he can remember a time when they used to get an entire pallet of KBS and it would just sit on the floor of the shop and collect dust (nobody wanted to spend that kind of money on a beer). Every once in a while, somebody would buy a 4-pack and, over the course of the year, it would very gradually dwindle down to nothing. Now he only gets 2 cases and it never even makes it to the floor. My, how times have changed.

Fluteswell and Willbfun like this.
  32. wardenclyffe

wardenclyffe Savant (250) Virginia Sep 10, 2010

Never tried it before and it is probably the #1 beer on my "must try" list. Went to a Total Wine this morning only to find out they sold their last bottle an hour before I got there. I think it was sold out in about 2 hours.

33. stayclean

stayclean Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

:( :mad: :mad:

(yes, it is very good...)

34. RWNay

RWNay Savant (465) Illinois Oct 7, 2010

I'll be in Michigan this Sunday - Tuesday, would you mind telling me where you found this? I'm hoping to land at least a four-pack of this but I'm starting to lose faith. Everywhere I call around the Chicago burbs are telling me that they are sold out. Any info would be most appreciated!

35. Ri0

Ri0 Poobah (1,050) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Got a 4pk in Madison, WI this morning. It doesn't even touch the shelves and may last an hour at most stores here. This will be my first time trying it so I am pumped. Most places have a 1-2 bottle limit, but I got to one of 2 stores that don't care and just let you buy a 4 pk even though they only got in 2 cases.

I also bought a lottery ticket today.

36. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (225) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

i got mine in northern michigan.
    everywhere was sold out in about 2 hours. there may be other places that have it though.

37. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

Good luck finding it in Michigan. Muskegon and Ottawa counties sold out in about an hour. I went to 8 stores for 5 bottles. My buddy who had the day off went to around 30 stores and scored 16 bottles. Unless you find some magic gem of a store, i'd say you're out of luck.

38. As you can gather from the other posts here, some people score significant quantities. Beer advocates may go to extremes to amass a beer like this, but I nearly always find them to be friendly, generous people. I'm sure you can find someone who will trade you a bottle or two, especially if they know you've never had it before.

39. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (485) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

I put my name on two lists and hoping I'll get one 4 pack total today. They both said it would be in today, and my favorite store may get it so I guess I'll have to call today asap! Can't wait though cuz I've never tried kbs, a generous ba sent me a '09 '10 '12 but I want to try a fresh one before I go for the vintage ones.

40. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

...not me :oops:

beerassociate likes this.