1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Who's getting their KBS today?!?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hallandoates, Apr 2, 2013.

1. BigAl723

BigAl723 Aficionado (235) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I have bought it at Howell Meijer before. I called them this year and they said they were getting a couple cases. Couldn't tell me when they were being put on shelf though. $21.99 two years ago

2. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

I checked Meijer just in case, and they didn't have it. All in all, I got 3 bottles, and my BF got one, so I am happy. Hoping to get one more from my regular store, but that is unlikely at this point. Most of the shops in my area (Belleville/Ypsi) only got 1 case, if anything, and people were throwing such a fit over it one of the shop owners just decided to donate it a a charity auction and not deal w/ people being all pissy over how they chose to sell it. I got one bottle for $11.75, and then I got two that I was waitlisted for, and they were $6.75 each, which pleased the piss out of me.

3. 24 bucks after taxes here in ny. place had like 3 more 4 packs but doubt they last long.

4. Hobby

Hobby Aficionado (195) Michigan May 26, 2012

My thoughts - you cant get pist at someone for their thoughts so relax.....

I am drinking my first bottle of the KBS right now and gave my buddy half the bottle. Neither of us cared for it and we have been drinking beer for a long long time, Im 38 years old and he's 53.

It has a very strong coffee influence, overpowering almost. The alcohol flavoring is there and I dont mind it because I love to drink my liquor straight but Im not sure how I feel about this. All I really get out of this is coffee and booze. Maybe thats right up someones alley but for me not so much. Im not bashing the beer, im sure many people would do cartwheels for it, its just not for me.

One bottle left.

lakestclairgoose likes this.
  5. Just got 4 in a trade. Sent some 11 and 12 Abyss as part of mine.

Stoked. Gonna try one now, and then cellar some for later

6. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I missed out again, for the third year in a row I believe. I don't try as hard as I used to so it is no big deal. I am happy with normal shelf turds.

ceazaleo likes this.
  7. So after reading the majority of the posts in this thread it seems we have a sampling of every thing that is wrong with the modern hunt for beer: greed, envy, entitlement, resentment, bitterness (not related to IBUs;)), gloating, whining, obsession, lust, indignation and last but not least, what I'm feeling after reading all this crap, misanthropy.

JxExM and abkayak like this.
  8. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (340) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Got my one bottle for $6.29 at Foremost Liquors in Wood Dale

9. i fell for the hype, got mine relatively cheap ($5.99 for a 12oz)....drank it during the Michigan BB loss, my only comment is despite being "brewed" this to me is a far cry from "beer"... it was more bourboney alcohol taste than beer... but I guess thats the direction the BA community has evolved....

ChicagoNick likes this.
  10. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

It came and went at three stores here before I could even start the car. The next day a store around the corner from me posted on Facebook that they had one four pack left. Picked it up on my lunch break and have given two bottles to friends and family who have never had it.

11. The Starbucks-ification of U.S. "craft" beer.

t4haughton and lakestclairgoose like this.
  12. I picked up my allotment at the brewery and promptly traded two to a guy who couldn't get tickets for some Surly Abrasive and Furious (delicious!) I split my first of the year with a buddy who has never had it. I have two bottles saved for a May tasting for my birthday, two for my brother-in-law, and one for an Uncle who would like to try it. I am thrilled that I was able to get it at the brewery so I could share the majority of it (keeping the last four for myself, of course).

13. let me get one

14. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Didn't have KBS in 09,10,11,or 12 and not worried if 2013 is the same, enjoying what I have but I hope everyone will savor theirs. Cheers

15. kcp85

kcp85 Aficionado (210) Missouri Sep 7, 2012

Got my second bottle today. Now I can drink the first. Bought it at the same place last Tuesday and paid $2 more than today.

16. We were able to score 2 four packs (at two different stores) between my wife and I. We gave one bottle to our "favorite" bartender who is a collector, but will save the other 7. One local shop had a keg as well, and we each had a few 12oz glasses. Truly a delicious beer.

DevilsCups likes this.
  17. CLively

CLively Aficionado (175) Maine Feb 8, 2011

We have all you want at little Ebenezers.... for $6 per bottle.

18. abkayak

abkayak Savant (400) New York Jan 8, 2013

........and a band of evil angels

19. Apom

Apom Disciple (60) South Carolina Mar 30, 2013

Was able to find two bottles and they were awesome. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

DevilsCups likes this.
  20. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (365) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

We got 1 Case.. 2 4-packs went out immediately. We have decided to sell the rest as singles.
    If you look at my review of it, I am not a big fan... Maybe because the hype was bigger than the actual taste (that is for me, cause I see how many 5's it did get)

21. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (440) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I drank mine last night. Coffee aroma was huge. Much thinner than expected.
    Taste was all over the place. Not smooth. Peruvian Morning put this to shame. I'm glad I only got one bottle of KBS.

Kinda drank like a barrel-aged Dark Horse Perkulator.

22. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean

ASUBeer and stayclean like this.
  23. I managed to get a 4-pack this week. Stevens Point, WI was only alloted 2 cases this year.

24. last night i drank a lost abbey deliverance, a kbs, then a bourbon county. in that order. i tasted the least amount of bourbon in the kbs out of the three it was my least favorite almost tasted like a stronger fbs. the deliverance was very good but not worth the price i paid. the bourbon county out-shined all of them IMO.

25. my interpretation:

it's not really that good, but since it's so hyped and everyone says it is, and they charge a lot for it, then who am I to not like it....... BAAAAA!!!!

Hobby likes this.
  26. Ive tried the '12 with some age on it and it held nicely but just got a shipment of the '13 and cant wait to try! Going to do an '11, '12, and '13 side by side.

27. BitterTetley

BitterTetley Aspirant (45) Iowa Apr 3, 2013

I posted our shop having it in stock 2 weeks ago and WSG had a guy come in yesterday evening and pick up our last 4 4pks. Ya' cruise, ya' lose. Grab it where you can.

28. acyl

acyl Aficionado (125) Michigan Mar 16, 2010

age it.

29. Just did a side by side '12 and '13 and the '13 takes it! Not sure if '12 was cave aged like the '13 or if the freshness made the difference but the chocolate and coffee was more apparent although I got more aged bourbon on the '12.

30. brianrogers

brianrogers Aspirant (40) Kentucky Apr 11, 2013

Picked up 8 last week......first timer and was not disappointed. Exceeded expectations after it warmed up a bit. Very smooth!

31. sjc83

sjc83 Aficionado (130) Ohio Apr 4, 2013

If anyone in Cleveland is looking for it, LizardVille will have today.

32. Zimm

Zimm Savant (490) New Jersey May 18, 2012

The markup in one shop by me was north of $14 a bottle.

33. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (340) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

That's criminal

34. I know this isn't exactly timely, but I have worked for Wesco for 6 years and none of our stores have ever gotten KBS (unfortunately) and I would be surprised if that changed any time soon.