1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who's getting their KBS today?!?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hallandoates, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Kindness/ respect/honor is seen as weak in our times these days. I do the same, and when I can just give beer away to people all around me. Remember that case of Verdi Imperial Stout? I gave 7 bottles away to good friends and neighbors because that is all good, so I feel ya man! :D

Providence likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yeah I should have saved my quote before I found out the bad news....it is indeed looking like one bottle for me....but I'm going to try my best to score one more bottle.

3. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I might look for this as I typically do not search for much. The greatest feeling is randomly coming onto a great beer and for 3 years I have been very fortunate to try some great brews.

4. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

o_O Not buying that equation.

CMUbrew likes this.
  5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I checked a couple spots to no avail. Luckily my buddy got a 4 pack on his lunch break and offered to split it with me. I'm really starting to think all this work for beer may not be worth it

jplopez21 likes this.
  6. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

You really shouldn't eat dogs.

dsal89, alysmith4 and stayclean like this.
  7. Walked into my local bar today, ordered an Alchemy Hour and some wings, and got to talking to the bartender, who was also one of the owners of the bar. I told him that I had gone to Vermont, and picked up half a case of Heady Topper. He got real serious and asked how much it cost, so I told him ($13 a 4 pack). He told me he had been dying to try Heady for a while, and he would trade me a bottle of KBS for a can or two. We talked more and I gave him 3 Heady and a Bell's Two-Hearted (he also hadn't tried that one) for a KBS '13, a Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout, a Troeg's Pale Ale, and a Founder's Pale Ale. I can get those last two really easily, but it was still nice to get such a sought-after beer and to really make this guy's day with the Heady. Moral of the story- talk and make friends with the people who sell you beer. You might get something you don't expect.

TychoNDC, alysmith4, ColdOne and 2 others like this.
  8. Jagen

Jagen Aficionado (135) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

I meant not worth running around town working your ass off to find one bottle for 10 dollars isn't worth it : P

LambicKing likes this.

9. True. I have yet to check that place out in spite of spending plenty of time at the taproom. Cheers!

10. KBS changed my life.

11. Yes, yes it is.

12. Got mine! one bottle per person limit :(

13. broodog

broodog Savant (345) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

This year, I'm not even going to try. This year, I will not hunt for KBS. I will not waste hours, days, weeks, searching-SEARCHING for the elusive whale. Every year, it's gets harder. This year, I figure I'll have to sell off my first born to find a bottle for $13.99 in the Chicago area. It's not worth it anymore. Anyone else feel this way?

radio2525, RacerX5k, Rekrule and 4 others like this.
  14. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) Florida Feb 15, 2013

But they make a fine meal...

15. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (280) New York May 15, 2011

Its a pretty good beer...How much do you like your first born?

broodog, ufmj and Centennial like this.
  16. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (555) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

Agreed...simply not worth it.

RacerX5k likes this.
  17. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I took this stance last year. I just wait for it to come on tap in DC.

18. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Komplete Bull Shit.

19. hash_tagger

hash_tagger Aficionado (190) Texas Jan 18, 2013

We (Texas) FINALLY get Founders on the 8th. I'm skeptical for bottles of this though I did score 2x Sucabas & a 16 from FSW's release here in February. So hopefully Founder's will be kind enough to bring a few bottles of this later this week when they bring the kegs.

20. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Never had it so I don't know. Did some calling around Boston today and was met with a bunch of no's so it's looking like I may never try it. There's other beer out there. Fuck it.

Rekrule and MasterCraft like this.
  21. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Some do.

BlastBeats, alysmith4 and ufmj like this.
  22. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

paid $10 for one bottle today, and $6.50 for another. I can understand why the first shop charged so much though... they only got 4. Thats 4 bottles, not cases. Not sure how they got only 4 bottles, maybe they lied to me.

23. Thanks for the info

24. MarriedAtGI

MarriedAtGI Savant (325) Illinois Feb 26, 2013

Delighted to get 2 bottles today. Have to keep searching for two more to give to two very good beer buddys. If I am unsuccessful, I'll just have to arrange drinking sessions with them! :) (Which means i can't open them yet. :( )

Revenant likes this.
  25. You had me at wings.

#ithinkimightbehungry

stayclean likes this.
  26. Like times a thousand.

27. Looks like I'm not and you know what? I'm ok with it. Last year i paid $10 for one stinking bottle, and imho it was just ok. I would like to get a 4 pak, dig in and see if my opinion changes. I, for one, wish they wouldn't even distribute to my area. I'm sick and tired of this limited production and distribution bullshit, look at what GI accomplished this year. I have been able to purchase BCBS and variants (I even picked up a Rare for $75) since it hit the area mid September 2012 and just got more BCBCS this Monday. So it's been available for 8 months now, that's amazing. Yes I know this was on AB's dime, I don't care. All that's happened is the best beer I've had, the best beer, by far, in the world is now readily available. And I look forward to the day when BCBS is distributed everywhere so all can try. Tonite I celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday with a BCBCS.

Fluteswell, radio2525 and maxcoinage like this.
  28. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

Just gonna have a Siva Stout instead.

29. Im on vacation, but I called Total Wine back in Durham. Got one for me. MIght just hide it for a while.

30. The store I go to told me they would have it April 22nd. Never going their again.

31. What?!?! I thought Total Wine would NOT do holdsies. At any rate, I just swung by the Total Wine on Capital Blvd (Raleighwood). They have about 10 bottles left.

32. Sounds like your mad at yourself.

Your purchase of BCBS gives money to AB/inbev, who then turns around and puts pressure on distributors not to carry the competition. http://www.newser.com/story/142953/flailing-anheuser-busch-tries-new-beers-intimidation.html

As such, the possibility exists that Founders is having a difficult time getting KBS to you because you continue to fund the group that is making it difficult to begin with.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  33. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

Thanks to my wife being on spring break and her staycation, I was fortunate enough to get nine bottles this year (she had 3 friends in town, and they all pitched in to help). I hit up two spots after work, in which they each sold me two bottles. Another store sold me one bottle.

It's a grind but it's worth it in my opinion. Needless to say, I didn't really have a productive day at work. I drank my first bottle last night. Amazing.

34. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

This. I have one bottle shop that will get a bottle to me with no hassle, and another I can walk into and buy a bottle at because of the way they handle their releases. Beyond that, I simply can't be arsed. I have far too much great beer in my fridge and cellar to go to the ends of the Earth for a few more bottles.

RacerX5k likes this.
  35. kdb150

If you think that craft brewers don't have ways of squeezing out the competition, then you don't know much about how the business works. Beers like KBS give Founders great leverage when it comes to getting their product in prominent locations on store shelves, and other beers off of them. Just because ABI can do it on a wider scale and with more resources doesn't make them worse. Just bigger.

RacerX5k likes this.
  36. my friend who works there bought it with my name on it.

37. I didn't say craft companies don't do it and I didn't say that one being bigger than the other makes them worse. I simply pointed out an interesting connection between his behavior and his anger.

38. kdb150

I don't think there is much of a connection there. KBS means major foot traffic for any store, and believe it or not, stores do have the ability to get products they want if their management is on the ball. I doubt ABI has much influence over the kinds of stores that have access to KBS.

CMUbrew likes this.
  39. Vitacca

Vitacca Advocate (535) Montana Sep 15, 2010

Made one phone call to my local shop back in WI. I was able to secure one KBS, a sixer of their porter and a 4 pack of imperial stout. All Founders if anyone asks and all firsts for me. Now I just have to get it shipped to MT.

40. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Florida gets Founders next month. Wondering what we'll be getting but not having any luck finding out. Which offerings did Texas get right off the bat?

Sorry, this probably should have been a BM. Staying on subject, I'll be getting ZERO KBS this yr.