1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who's getting their KBS today?!?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hallandoates, Apr 2, 2013.

1. GBallHead

GBallHead Savant (265) Indiana Oct 6, 2011

went to five different stores... finally I got a bottle, and my girlfriend who just loves going with on my beer roadtrips got me a bottle as well :)
  2. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

Went to 4 stores yesterday and got 2 bottles. Went back out today to 4 more stores and the manager on duty in one of them found one 4 pack in the back. May have been reserved for someone but I took it home.
  3. fatboy91

fatboy91 Aficionado (215) Illinois Apr 26, 2012

Hopefully can snag a bottle or two tomorrow
  4. I got the last 4 pack in the metro area to my knowledge. Called around and everyone was sold out except the last store i called. I sneaked out of work to go get it since they were going to hold it for me for an hour. Super pumped to try it. it will be my first KBS experience!
  5. I love stouts and have been shut out on KBS the last two years, so I was determined to get some this year and have been asking for weeks and only getting vague handwaving answers. I was in the area of two stores I thought I might get some today. I got one bottle at the first, for the shocking price of $12. I knew it was too much, but at least this year I'd get to try it. The second store also had a one bottle limit but were selling it at close to MSRP, $5.75.

I really hope the beer manager at the first store enjoys spending that awesome $6 extra he got for doubling the MSRP on the one bottle he sold me. i didn't have to pay that price, of course, but I did. Now I'm going to do my best to cost his store at least a few hundred dollars in sales to make up for it. This place was convenient to the gym where I go a couple times a week and i was in there buying all the time, but the place that didn't feel it was necessary to turn the screws is just a little farther up the road and the selection is pretty much the same.
  6. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

Got 8 on Monday in Grand Rapids, four today in Battle Creek (horrocks). There's more to be had in west michigan if you're persistent. I'm done...

Good luck folks,
  7. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Got 2 4pks at different stores this morning. Next two days I'm on lists. Hoping for one more to include as extras in trade for people who couldn't get it
    beercanman and SadMachine like this.
  8. Thurgoft

Thurgoft Savant (255) California Mar 22, 2012

Got 2 bottles for 6.29 a piece in Champaign, IL. First time trying the stuff, glad I was able to snag a couple bottles.
  9. Michiganbeer45

Michiganbeer45 Aspirant (25) Apr 16, 2012

KBS Draft Release in Grand Rapids, MI tonight at 8pm. Rockwells Republic.
  10. NateMac13

NateMac13 Savant (350) Illinois Apr 10, 2011

If they told you they got 3 four packs they lied to you.
    Nectar and KhakCane like this.
  11. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Got two bottles today—$6.99 apiece, 3 bottle limit at one of my go-to shops. I got a third, but gave it to a friend who I thought would really like it. Looking forward to trying it now, and am okay with the price for the first time, anyway.
    BlastBeats likes this.
  12. NateMac13

NateMac13 Savant (350) Illinois Apr 10, 2011

Struck out in Bloomington, IL today but had a friend pick me up some at Binny's in Champaign, IL for $6.29 a piece. 2 bottle limit.
  13. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I'm done hunting. I went over my limit in Lakewood/cleveland. Good luck all.
  14. riemster

riemster Advocate (535) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

Depending on how my Thursday and Friday go, I'll be sitting on enough to trade a couple. Send me a message if you want to set up a local trade. Maybe we have some brews outside of Ohio by chance? I live in NE Ohio and it sounds like you do to. Meep Meep :] Cheers.
  15. [​IMG]

Got my first 4 Pack of the stuff today. $20...
    ufmj likes this.
  16. jpizz

jpizz Zealot (90) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

Lets see im in a raffle at one store, good luck with that for a bottle. The other store i have to get in line at 8 am to get a bottle ,thats not happening unless i call in sick and get fired and several other stores that have a variety of ways to get a bottle which i dont have the time and patients for. Im goin to throw a shot a bourbon in some breakfast stout and turn on my beloved Tigers and forget all about KBS for now. Oh hey Founders i live in frickin Michigan you think i would be able to get some . Oh well im happy somebody in ohio can get KBS and i cant. aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh
    KhakCane likes this.
  17. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I know you're venting but you do have chances to. Its not like the beer isn't there. I feel your pain as I've missed beers due to work before but its not Founders fault...

I saw people leaving the brewery with cases.... no other state gets cases to buy..
  18. Local beer store just put up a post on facebook with a picture of KBS, saying come get it while it lasts. I was there within the hour for my one bottle limit. I managed to get two, though!
  19. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

First off, you called 20-30 stores? Second, regardless of what you were told, in NO WAY should you be mad that you didn't get a case. Many people in Cleveland are thankful to get a bottle or 2. You didn't get a case and you're not a happy camper? Cry me a river. Let other people get some. The fact that you asked for a case is just ridiculous. Well done, sir.
  20. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

After almost giving up...I managed to score ten bottles today...stoked.
  21. [​IMG]
    Managed to snag 2 today and I know another store in town is getting some tomorrow, so I'm looking to grab another couple.
    Nectar likes this.
  22. Was hoping to get a case. Got a 4 pack.

First world problems.

Happy to get some. I was just hoping to get enough to not feel guilty drinking the first couple.
  23. radio2525

radio2525 Savant (255) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Look like i am getting none tried my luck in NE Ohio but every place i tried said they filled waiting list weeks ago. It really getting hard to keep track of calling store a month in advance.

Also god speed to all of you visiting/calling 10+ store and driving so many miles.
  24. [​IMG]

Look at how nicely they cut around MD and WV. Everyone does this! UGH!
    ufmj likes this.
  25. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (440) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Got one more bottle today to bring me up to 3! Would like to get one more to complete the 4, but I'm happy anyway. I know that Di Carlo in Mundelein (NW Chicago burbs) is selling their one case tomorrow night at 6, but I'll be at the West End before heading to the Hawks game!

Looking forward to cracking one this weekend!
  26. How long can KBS be aged???
  27. Hmm..Newbie
    ressling likes this.
  28. danoble1

danoble1 Aficionado (240) Indiana Apr 13, 2012

Fingers crossed my bro n law gets me some tomorrow in michigan
  29. Mineo

Mineo Savant (315) New Jersey Jul 7, 2010

2 of the places i went to said the wait list "ended months ago", while a few others thought i was nuts for asking.
    i realize it's good, but people really call months ahead of time for a single bottle? sheesh. i had one offer to put me on the list for next year.

NJ is really tough when it comes to getting rare beer. i see the same stuff continuously in every store. can't remember the last time i've been surprised by a rare find.
  30. augustg

augustg Savant (270) Illinois Sep 15, 2011

2 fellow BA's were able to get their 12 bottle allotment at Founders. I struck out on tickets this year and knowing this they each gave me a 4-pack! Great beer karma.
    hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  31. Mineo

Mineo Savant (315) New Jersey Jul 7, 2010

I need to make more friends who enjoy craft beer. like any industry connections are everything :p
    settled for a Founders Porter and Maine Brewing Co. King Titus. no comparison but it's ok for the night.
  32. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

Got some!

2-bottle limit, but there are a few stores within driving distance if I were really determined. I know they won't be around by Friday - probably not even tomorrow. But whatever, I don't cellar and I'm not gonna hoard. It's a top-tier stout without a doubt, but I'm okay if I just have a couple a year. But I do want to have a couple every year... :cool:

Psst... If InBev buys Founders, we'd probably be able to have KBS all year! ;) lol
    BMitch likes this.
  33. Got my hands on 3 bottles in the Raleigh/Durham area, $5.99ea.
  34. My store got in 3 cases, limited it to 1 4-pack per person. I got there within an hour of them getting the stuff. It was already sold out. They say they aren't getting any more.
  35. I did a vertical a few months ago of '10, '11, and '12. I didn't take notes , but both me and the other person tasting liked the '11 the most. It had the most balance between the coffee and the toned down bourbon and incredibly smooth. Some of the favors seemed to fall off just a tad with the '10.
  36. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

still no kbs... went to the store, and it's still not there.
    I gleefully purchased my "concession prize" however.... a big john and a choklat.
  37. riemster

You completely misread my post. I only said I was mad because of bad customer service. I always want to share beer. I don't want to hog it all, but when a store asks me if I want a case I'm not going to say no. Of course I felt weird like I already said. They acted like they were practically giving it away. I never planned to buy a case until this happened. Please read closer next time and I'm sure you won't make the same mistake again.
  38. for better or worse, I live in a college community and Beer Advocacy hasnt really taken off here as one might expect (education being what it is). There are smart beer drinkers here, to be sure, but in general, quantity trumps quality every time. $20 buys a lot of Natty Light or Dubra Vodka if you know what Im sayin'. As a result, there's not a lot of competition. I got my KBS today. I didnt go piggy. I didnt even buy half a case. I do however know 3 of the other 4 people who got some
  39. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

I read your post very well. You must not know much about KBS if you're asking for a case, even if it was offered. It's okay. Noob move.
  40. riemster

I'll quote and bold myself to help you.

And yes, I called around 25 stores. I did my research and don't want beer handed to me. It's fun to work for it. I missed acquiring it in the past. Maybe I got caught up in the moment too? When a store or company offers something, I normally expect it to be fulfilled to some extent. Yes, I thought it was odd, but in no way am I a noob. I'm still acquiring around 12 or so bottles, so I could careless what you say.
    beercanman likes this.