1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Who's getting their KBS today?!?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hallandoates, Apr 2, 2013.

1. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

It's cool. I acquired 13 bottles making 0 phone calls, 8 of which are going to friends. Enjoy your stash, noob :)
  2. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

They probably didn't want a bigger KBS fiasco.
  3. spitshaded

spitshaded Savant (335) Virginia Nov 12, 2012

I think I missed out this year. I called a few shops yesterday & no one said they'd gotten it yet or were going to. One TW said they might get it Thurs & told me they couldn't reserve me a bottle, as it's "company policy." I called them back today to hear they sold out yesterday (great), so I called another TW to check again & was told they were all reserved (?!).
  4. riemster

riemster Advocate (535) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

Good for you! I'm proud, I really am. The majority of it will be spent with my dad who is dying. The other part is for me and a friend. Thanks for trying to make me feel like shit because I'm trying to stock up on a beer my dad loved 2 years ago.
  5. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

Funny, you never made any mention of that when you were trying to trade some to a guy for "out of state stuff" in another thread.
  6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Sorry about your dad
    darkandhoppy and riemster like this.
  7. i need this in my life. i called like 12 different stores hopefully ill get at least a bottle of it.
  8. riemster

I was doing that to help out some one who I thought did not have a chance to get any this year. He was a local Ohioian. I'm not on BA to explain my life, but I felt like I had to say something. Anyways, I'm going back downstairs to watch a movie. If there is a block feature on BA, I would love to find out.
    KhakCane likes this.
  9. I have said it before and I guarantee that I will say it again - There is nothing like a Founder's release to tear our little family apart.

Now go enjoy whatever beer you can get in whatever state you live in.
  10. CT didnt get Founders distro until June of last year. I can totally relate to the gentleman from Florida's frustration

11. Thanks for being a dick

Thanks for not being a dick!
    abkayak, KhakCane and ESeab like this.
  12. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Be glad those of you who rounded up a 4 pack total did so. I freaking live in Kentucky(the state in whichThe KBS name even exists). Sure it's only Ashland, but still we run through the year round and seasonal Founders beers. But only 1 freaking case for 5 stores????? That's freaking absurd IMO. I love founders, but this bs is really starting to piss me off. I've waited all year and only wanted 4 bottles. 2 to fill up my nonic glass as one comes up about 5 oz short and 2 to drink on my birthday in may or even 1 and 1 on derby day. I hear even places like Louisville and Lexington only got 2 cases a pc. I'm sorry but as a bourbon advocate I'll argue with anyone that legit bourbon whiskey only comes from our bluegrass state in Kentucky. Like single malt scotch only comes from Scotland and Blended scotch isn't really scotch. Tennessee, New York, Iowa, and Texas don't make bourbon whiskey. Kentucky does and Kentucky makes the best American whiskey. Sorry for the whiskey rant lol, but Founders has had plenty of time to make enough of this to allow every lover of KBS at least a 4 pack. Not 1 bottle per person. That's ridiculous, but I'm sorry this isn't Pappy Van Winkle's family reserve 23 year. It's a $7 bottle of beer. If you are seriously going to continue to use our states name up there in Michigan and on your labels you'll need to start providing not only this state but every state you distribute to with enough to make everyone happy. As far as I'm concerned right now I say all Kentucky bourbon makers put a stop to the barrels founders are buying. If indeed they even use our states barrels and if not than it shouldn't even be KBS. Maybe stop using our states name and call is ABS(not anti-lock brake system)or WBS or even MBS. Never thought I could get so upset over a freaking beer but I am.
  13. your welcome asswipe read b4 you post

14. Huh? No. My thread. I can ask whatever I want and it's a perfectly pertinent question that everyone except you had no problem answering in a respectful manner.
  15. Got one bottle at the local beer joint....for a ridiculous $10. I suppose I should feel honored though. I called some friends in for little help in getting a few more. They aren't beer drinkers so they didn't know what they were apparently getting into. My athletic Michelob Ultra swilling friend was summarily denied access to KBS. My festively plump home brewing compadre was rewarded with a pair for he and his wife. There is a God and he doesn't live the Ultra life.
    M_C_Hampton likes this.
  16. Hopefully getting mine tomorrow.
  17. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

If they got more, the management probably picked it up. In that case, I don't care. I'm a regular customer. I highly doubt he'd B.S. that and prioritize someone else that goes there other than a worker.
  18. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

All of this just shows you don't seem to understand how distribution, barrel aging, or the world as a whole works.

Let me know when you create a beer with the quality and demand of KBS, and make enough of it to make "everyone happy".

Damn it, I'll be right back. Forgot I had my KBS chilling.
  19. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

Guys seriously, what does it matter that others got more KBS than anyone else. Shit happens and you deal with it. Better luck next year.
    Some places get more than others. Some places get none at all. If it means so much to you, try and trade for it here.

I ended up with a case and a half of KBS but only because im in a certain hickville area and i live 3 hours north of Founders.
    All and all, i traded MOST of it away to other less fortunate people who are fortunate enough to get their hands on beer i can unfortunately cannot get.
  20. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

As would I, but that's not what I was getting at.
  21. Apom

Apom Disciple (60) South Carolina Mar 30, 2013

Hoping to get some of this limited release here in South Carolina.
  22. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

Still nothing for me. I am perplexed as I live in MI, and all of the stores I've been hitting are getting it friday, but obviously out of staters already have it. Not angry, just confused. Funny distributors and their tricky ways. Lol. I do have a battle plan for Friday, though, and am hoping to get at least 3 bottles out of the 9 stores I plan on hitting (which shouldn't be too bad since I am waitlisted @ 2). On the plus side, because I am a weirdo, every liquor store I've hit since Monday to see if/when they were getting KBS I've bought at least 1 six pack of something at because I feel it is improper to go into a liquor store and not buy something. So even if I don't get any KBS, my fridge is very full regardless due to the hunt. :D
  23. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (160) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

Di Carlo eh?
  24. I managed to grab the last 2 bottles at a store about 30min away (thanks to my sister for coming w/ me since they had a 1 bottle limit!), and a buddy of mine and his fiance each grabbed a bottle at a store by them (they are keeping one and giving 1 to me). I was too far up the list at one of my local stores to get any (they only got 1 case), but tomorrow I'm getting 1 from my main store as I'm 9th on the list. I'm going to do some more searching, but at least all together I'm ending up w/ at least a 4-pack... Feels like a lot of work for so little, but such is the life of a BA in central NJ... We just have too many people who drink craft beer in a very small area!
    ufmj and ESeab like this.
  25. Grabbed a bottle for home and drank a bottle at a bar. Super tasty. Life is good.
  26. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (440) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Yup. It's a legit bottle shop.
  27. Came on here to post this. I'm from Kentucky and go shopping extensively there when traveling to visit family there from DC. I still remember only 2-3 years ago stopping at a Liquor Barn in Louisville and seeing an entire end cap of the stuff. Seriously, it was literally a wall!
    deadonhisfeet likes this.
  28. In store jumped all afternoon and ended up with 10 bottles. Getting #11 on Saturday (hopefully).
  29. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

That's a sad sad rant. Good luck. I think Bruce Springsteen should play the majority of his shows in NJ because that's where he's from and where he got famous. Oh wait, if you want to be successful you should provide to everyone, not just locally.

Seriously though, that was pretty bad, lay off the best American Whiskey

Edit: I got 6 bottles today without even trying
    SadMachine and ufmj like this.
  30. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

I had it at a bar tonight and was kind of underwhelmed. I've had it in years past but this year seem to have too much choco and coffee and not enough bourbon. Maybe it's just me and the bottle I got. I have some more so I'll do some more tasting but right now going to say I'd take black note or bcbs over kbs. Parabola is on a whole other playing field. Just another week or so!
  31. My god people relax.

Anyways - ya I was able to grab a few ... pallets.

Time to sell some "empty bottles".
  32. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Be grateful to be able to get some, wow.
  33. riemster

I'm more grateful than you could ever know. I never said I was ungrateful or angry about not getting a case. I only said I was upset because some store employees lead me on. That was my fault for falling for something I know better not to believe. Learn to read or don't quote my posts. I was just telling a story about some customer dissatisfaction I had regarding a local grocery store. Nothing more, nothing less.
  34. Believe me, as a fellow Kentuckian I feel your pain. I was really disappointed in the supply this year too, especially after the most recent batch of Backwoods Bastard was so freaking easy to get. I got 3 4-packs of it without much effort and could have bought a lot more. It was actually available on the shelf where I shop for 2 freaking weeks! I kept suggesting it to (obvious) craft beer newbies every time I went there. It really got my hopes up that I'd be able to get a couple 4-packs of KBS easily this year. Not so.

Oh well, look at the bright side. At least we get a more-than-generous helping of BCBS every year (although, when Ohio finally kills its ABV law that might all change :( ).
  35. guarantee at least half this production release was kept by liquor store and bar owners for themselves
    ressling likes this.
  36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Never seen so little, a few years ago it would literally sit on the shelf. Now a big retailer gets 2-3 cases and sells by the bottle, some gouge at $10 per. FBS out the ass, still around, but KBS is one bottle per customer. Kinda sad, but it is what it is. I don't know Founders dynamics but BCBS is readily available, they don't need to match that kind of production but a large area like the Triad only getting 8-9 cases is ridiculous.
  37. Yea, my go to bottle shop is donating their one case of KBS to a local beer fest this upcoming weekend. No problem with that. But thankfully, my backup store is also getting a case (this morning), and I was able to put my name on a list two weeks ago. Only one bottle per customer, but that's fine with me. Between wife, work, and kids, a reservation list was the only way I was gonna get one!
  38. I've gotten six 4 packs of KBS so far and only two of them have dates (though I think they're obviously from the same shipment, as I bought them two days apart), so I assume they're all bottled on the same date (3/21/13 if anyone is curious, btw). Very odd that they would date some bottles and not others.
  39. After reading a lot of these posts, here's my two cents: I think one bottle per customer is enough. With such a disproportionate supply-demand ratio, I totally sympathize with stores that have a one bottle limit; and I think we BA's give craft beer a bad name when we just seek to hoard all the good stuff for ourselves like little Ebenezers. If you are fortunate enough to get a bottle (as I was), be content with that. Set it aside for a good evening, and enjoy--hey, maybe even invite a friend over to go splitzies!

Alright, enough ranting. I just think BA's could do a lot more for the advancement of craft beer if we could look past ourselves and work toward helping eachother out ;)
    JohnnyMc, willbm3, ufmj and 2 others like this.
  40. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

All I know is I spent too much time chasing a damn beer. Everyone who got some, enjoy! And if you missed out, it's not the end of the world. Check Twitter, I'm sure some places in your area will be getting KBS on draft within the coming weeks.