1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why are growler fills so expensive?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by atomic, May 18, 2013.

1. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Here in chicago, theres limited options of where we can get growler fills, so pardon me if this isn't the case in other areas.

Examples:
    growler fill of Daisy Cutter, $12 for 64oz
    -buying Daisy Cutter in 4pk of 16oz cans, $9.99
    Thats $2 MORE for the inconvenience of having to drink all 64oz in one day.

Growler fill of Goose Island 312, $16
    -12pk of 312? Usually about $13. thats 144oz for less than the price of 64oz.

Anyone want to enlighten me as to why growlers cost so much more than buying bottled/canned?
  2. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Because people will pay that much?
  3. No idea but it's the same here
  4. Drinking 64 ounces of Daisy Cutter is an inconvenience? I wish I could get a bottle without giving up my first born in trade!
  5. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) California Mar 19, 2012

Growlers are more useful for pub only offerings, not for stuff you can buy in the store.
  6. atomic

Ok, then my next question is, why are people paying that much? At Half Acre, you don't even have to go somewhere else to buy the 4pk of Daisy, you could buy it THERE for 9.99, freshly canned and everything.
    At Goose Island, theres a binnys literally across the street where you can buy a 12pk of 312.

I get if there are limited released brews, that won't get bottled. But Daisy Cutter? 312?
    hardy008, JohnnyMc and Eriktheipaman like this.
  7. atomic

Daisy Cutter is literally everywhere in chicago, you will have no trouble getting some if you wanted it.
  8. Daisy Cutter is canned (I don't think they bottle it). It's pretty easy to find, I think you might be thinking of Double Daisy Cutter.
  9. I find that sixtels aren't that great of a bargain, either- perhaps those growler prices are based on being poured from a sixtel.

Sometimes I do get growlers that are cheaper that their bottled counterpart, though; recently I got some Enjoy By for $15, and that one definitely came from a half-barrel keg. Definitely a bargain in that instance, so maybe the size of the keg has something to do with it.
  10. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

Ahem. Because it's as fresh as you can get. Usually a good thang with PA/IPA's.
    MichPaul, Bitterbill, Higy and 3 others like this.
  11. How is a keg any fresher than any other container? Other than if it was filled more recently?
    ironchefmiyagi13 and 1up like this.
  12. Vitacca

Vitacca Advocate (525) Montana Sep 15, 2010

Is it cheaper than buying four 16 oz glasses? Makes sense then.
    nogophers and Bitterbill like this.
  13. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Singlecut Brewing in Queens, new brewery, growler fill at their brewery for a DIPA is $26! Those prices sound like bargains!
  14. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Try 1/2 growlers if they permit. One of my beer stores has 1/2 growlers which I can handle in a single sitting. Got one of DFH 60 Minute for $4.99. I've had other VERY good brews for $6.49 a 1/2. Also compare growler taste with bottle taste. If there isn't much difference go the cheaper route. Good luck!
    Retail1LO likes this.
  15. KingBiscuit

I believe you answered your own question.
  16. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I only buy growlers if the beer can't be had in the bottle or it's a better deal than a bottle.

I've seen Abyss for $12, Double Jack for $10, 90 minute for $10. All better deals than in the bottle.

But something like Racer 5 for $10? Nah. Now, these are Total Wine growler prices.

The "alehouses" near me charge $15 for things like West Coast IPA and Obsidian Stout...that's just silly.
  17. whiskey

You hope.
    There's a place local to here that put on Hoptimum...like 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't hit town. I called them to ask if they got it in and they said, "No, it's from last year. I know time on an IPA isn't good but it still tastes good."

One year old keg of Hoptimum!
  18. KingBiscuit

Good point but here in IL you can only get growlers direct from the breweries, not from a 3rd party, i.e. pub or store.
  19. atomic

Still, theres no reason that packs at the brewpub would necessarily be any less fresh than the keg.
  20. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Yeah. I don't get it either. In Portland usually $10-14 fills. Back in my hometown of Downingtown PA much cheaper at Victory, usually $7-9. Also, in Bend OR they are cheaper, $8 for RPM IPA. So, I think location has quite a bit to do with it.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  21. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

I've always wondered this too. Almost always across the board, getting a six pack is a much better deal and you don't have to drink it immediately, like a growler. I just don't know why beer stores bother with growler filling, but I guess the market keeps it afloat.

I would easily fill my growler if it were a decent deal, but I just look for bottles or if IPA, then anything I like that's fresh.
    johnniebeergood and Tidesox28 like this.
  22. $12 Growlers of Abyss? Sign me up.
  23. atomic

That said, Half Acre Iron Brass triple for $15 is a great deal. Same with Space. But Daisy? pass.
    dmfc906 likes this.
  24. Mersh

Mersh Advocate (550) Connecticut Mar 10, 2013

You gotta find a good trader. I got Daisy Cutter as an extra thrown in on one of my last trades. Almost shit myself.
  25. atomic

Wow, had no idea DC is such a sought after extra. I try to throw in a DC, anti hero, and some NG in all my trades. Just feel like its a good representation of the area.
    RWNay, JulianC, JohnnyMc and 4 others like this.
  26. hopheadwes

hopheadwes Zealot (90) Kentucky Jan 25, 2013

I work at a liquor store and manage what we have on tap at any given time for growler fills, I dont get anything unless I can make it cheaper in the growler than I can for a 6'er of it. I have a few DFH ancient ales on tap currently for 16-18 for 64oz, where as a bomber of those are 13.99-14.99 which means you get more than 100% more beer for a few dollars more.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  27. J_Dub

J_Dub Savant (370) Texas Apr 22, 2013

I've only considered filling a growler because it's something I can't get in the bottle. The best Austin brews are only available this way. It's $12 for a 64oz fill. Considering it's $5 for a pint that's a great deal.
  28. Sipchue

Sipchue Savant (350) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

I don't consider growler fills to be expensive at all. Compared to sitting in the pub and spending $4-$5 for a pint. Here in PA, I've spent between $7 and $15 for a fill. Fresh and wonderful. Quit complaining and fill'er up.
  29. atomic

Yes but we're not comparing it to drinking at a pub, we're comparing it to beer you'd purchase for home consumption.
  30. Sipchue

Sipchue Savant (350) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

Then I understand your befuddlement. It truly is a freshness deal if you're buying from the brewery. Thus spoketh the homebrewer.
  31. The thread should have ended on this post.
  32. whiskey

Yeah, it was crazy. They put it on tap on a Monday, when I was starting a 5 day, 12hr shift week and I just couldn't justify 64oz of Abyss. But I talked to the "beer guy" there and he said it was right.

At that time another local BA said there was a place selling growlers of Abyss for $10. :eek:
  33. If you are a brewery and you sell beer much cheaper than a customer could buy it at a retail store, well, why would you do that to your retailers?
  34. You might have to give up your 1st born for a Bottle, since it comes in cans :) Really though if you want to trade for a 4 pack bm me.
  35. atomic

3 floyds does it. You can get a 6pk of ZD for $10 at the brewery, but in stores you'd be lucky to see it for $12. Hell you'd be lucky to see it at all as it sells out THAT fast.
  36. Lasering

Lasering Savant (375) Florida Mar 19, 2013

You people and your damn 64oz growlers!
    SaCkErZ9 and rc51sport like this.
  37. chrisp450

chrisp450 Savant (290) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

You are getting them soon!
  38. jkane101

jkane101 Savant (450) New Jersey Sep 22, 2007

I only buy growlers of draft only beer, otherwise it's just stupid. And btw unless you're able to look at the date ON the keg there's no way to know that it's any fresher then the bottled version
    atomic likes this.
  39. There is something about pouring a fresh growler of great beer into your own glasses and enjoying it at home with your buddies.. I'll pay a premium for that every time.
  40. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

...as opposed to opening cheaper, just as fresh bottles? wheeeee
    willbm3, RobertColianni and LittleGus like this.