Why are growler fills so expensive?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by atomic, May 18, 2013.

1. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (315) California Apr 16, 2005

I was able to snag an $11 64oz growler of 2008 vintage Abyss last Christmas. '12 Days of Decadence' Deschutes tap takeover at Aces and Ales in Vegas, combined with the special they run Sundays where EVERY beer is half-priced, including growler fills.

2. Critofur

Critofur Disciple (50) Ohio Oct 21, 2010

The reason I buy in bulk, generally, is to save money. As far back as my early college days I learned how much cheaper it was to get beer in kegs vs individual bottles. When filling growlers, not only are you buying in bulk, but you are supplying your own containers. Keg beer is typically about 50% as expensive as bottles, I would expect the retailer to pass on the "bulk" of that savings to the consumer. Otherwise, it's basically a scam and customers are being fooled/cheated out of their money until they figure it out.

3. Critofur

Critofur Disciple (50) Ohio Oct 21, 2010

I guess I haven't been to bars recently because I've only seen "growler" fills at non-bar, or, bar as part of a store, locations. Kegs cost much less than bottles - I would expect the establishment to pass on part of that savings to the customer. Otherwise, they're ripping us off plain and simple.