Why are the big beers in big bottles?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by andrejes, Jan 4, 2013.

1. All the big beers i drink are in big bottles 650 or 750ml. Why?

I can't drink a stout bottle 750ml of 12% ABV without a headache!!

Give me more 330ml!

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

More sharing, less hoarding? ;)

3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

4. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

it is nice to drink ba plead the 5th and hotd big beers without double thinking if you need extra help or not. but knight has a good point, bombers and 750s are ideal for tastings.

5. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Chimay comes in little bottles, too. Big beer, small bottles, big price.

6. Chimay is not that expensive IMO. It does get overly marked up, but that can easily be fixed by finding a bargain store!

7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Plenty of good, big beers in 11.2 and 12 oz bottles. Most Belgians cab be found in multiple formats...

8. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

Lots of Belgian beers come in the 11.whatever bottle. Maybe try those?

9. Use a wine stopper for big imperial stouts, barleywines, & old ales, they aren't going to be carbonated heavily to begin with generally, though I guess you could find some exceptions. It will be fine the next day.

szmnnl99, LarryAppleton and andrejes like this.
  10. To weed out the weak and prove who the real men are! ...

11. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

So I can fill my CBS snifter with them.

12. Beers age better in larger format bottles, mainly because of the general bad-assery that is associated with big ass bottles. All about the attitude.

Hotmetal1, Zach136 and BeerSocrates12 like this.
  13. I'm certain someone will correct me if I'm wrong [and please do if I am], so here goes. It is my understanding that there are no bottling lines for big bottles or it doesn't pay for a small brewery to have 2 bottling lines if a larger line is available, or the conversion to adapt a 12 oz. line to a 22 oz. line is prohibitively expensive. Now since bigger beers are often produced in smaller batches and oftentimes by smaller breweries, it doesn't pay to set up a 12 oz. bottling line for a smaller run nor does it pay to have a second bottling line nor does it pay to set up the bottling line for larger bottles, if that is even possible. Therefore, the bigger beers are hand bottled in bigger bottles and that's another reason for the higher price.

msnow34 and checktherhyme like this.
  14. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Because it encourages you to make friends.

or become a loner alcoholic, not sure which one

15. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (195) New York Dec 25, 2008

I'm guessing it's because the price per ounce somehow seems more reasonable in a big bottle. Most people would probably be more likely to shell out $14 for a bomber than $30 for a four-pack or $45 for a six-pack.

I'd rather see more big beers in small bottles myself. In an average drinking session, I don't usually want 22oz of a 10%+ beer. It's one of the many reasons I appreciate Founders. Lots of their big beers would likely come in bombers if they were produced by another brewery.

16. Do you think oenophiles have the same complaint?

17. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (195) New York Dec 25, 2008

I'm guessing oenophiles don't as frequently have the option of buying a similar product at a fraction of the price per ounce in a different size packaging. With beer, the cost per ounce varies so much between 12oz bottles and bombers as to draw attention to the comparison. Also, and I'm no expert on this, I believe a bottle of wine once opened lasts considerably longer than a bottle of beer.

18. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

MarkIntihar gonna MarkIntihar.

JM03, BdubleEdubleRUN and MarkIntihar like this.
  19. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (475) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

By "hoarding" do you mean drinking by yourself? because that seems to be the issue the OP is having, and I have run into it myself.

20. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

and yet BCBS is in 12 oz bottles.

21. slander

slander Site Editor (590) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

easier on the pocket than if they were 4 or 6 packin' them.

also, a 12 oz bottle you would could put down by yourself, a 22 or 750 you're more likely to share...

22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

See, I got in trouble yesterday for a joke being takenseriously because I didn't use a smiiley. I used a smiley in that post to convey the idea thaat I was merely joking and I still get called out. Somebody please post a link to the forum rules of sarcasm and wit please!

23. I would rather pay $30/4 pack than $15-18 a bomber. Plus, most places break up high priced 4 packs where you have the option of buyin 1 or 2 bottles rather than have to buy the whole 4 pack!
    It all comes down to more $ for the brewery in bombers though, so I doubt we will see a turn in bottling practices unfortunately.

24. I live in Holland so all the Belgium 11 i have already 10 ten each!!!!

No i'am talking about the big beers from the US!!! bruery Black Tuesday, Parabola, Rare, BORIS and all the other ones!!!!

25. they also have more .rar, which is the most important part when it comes to taste.

26. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Because those big beer brewers want you to get bombed and splurge on more of their product.

27. Just want small bottles!!! I have a cellar full of big bottles, that i only can drink on the weekends!!!:):)

28. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Savant (345) Kansas Feb 16, 2009

Share, my ass! I'm gonna go kill another bomber!

Hotmetal1 and andrejes like this.
  29. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

Why do we need big beers everyday? Besides that, there's so many beers in the six or four pack format that are are strong.

30. I think its a result of the retail side. it's easier for a store to sell bombers individually than it would be to piece out 4 and 6 packs...its a matter of space and efficiency for those selling the product more than the breweries themselves.....of course that's just my opinion...I typically just suck it up and drink on a bomber all night or share with someone.

31. Meheen bottling lines (one of the more popular brands for small breweries) can be purchased to work with 12 or 22 oz bottles, and some mfg'rs bottling lines are, apparently, routinely converted back and forth in some breweries, rather than having separate lines if a brewer's barrelage doesn't warrant it.

This DFH video explains how they change-over from 12's to 750's using the same line, at about 3:00 mark.

(A brewery employee once answered a thread on why bombers cost more per ounce than their 12's and explained it was due to the downtime and labor involved with re-adjusting the line to do 22's and back again. Of course, most manufacturers would spread that cost out among all it's products- after all, the change-over back to 12's is just as costly).

There are also bottling lines for corked and caged 750 ml. - Brooklyn's got a nice video of theirs here (still the only bottling line they run in the borough, I believe - their 12's come out of Utica).

andrejes and hardy008 like this.
  32. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I really like the 750ml size for the big barrel aged wales. When you factor in spillage, it works out just about perfectly for filling a dozen 5-hour energy bottles. That's 12 primo ticks to use as trade bait.

baconsausage likes this.
  33. Thank you, sir.

34. freeride

freeride Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 18, 2012

I would have thought that big beers in big bottles are typically primed for aging or have an inordinate amount of hops. Ergo, the ounce to oxygen ratio would be less, letting the hops be cool or letting the aging process be more fruitful.

35. I think it might be a movement to the wine-esque experience, pop a wine like bottle with a wine like ABV and drink it by yourself on the couch from the bottle in a wine like manner.

36. Because they cost more.