1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why aren't cream ales more prevalent?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ilovelampandbeer, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Pelican Pub Kiwanda Cream Ale.

2. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Maybe because I'm not so sure there is one sitting on the shelf here other than Genny and I'm sure that's not what the OP was talking about

3. ?? Neither Kölsch nor Blonde Ales are brewed with corn or rice AFAIK. Cream ales are, especially the more well-known ones like Genny. I wouldn't say the former two are the same beers with different names at all.

4. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I asked someone about this because I have enjoyed some cream ales over the years. Found out that 1 brewery changed their cream ale name to golden ale. Maybe some breweries are changing cream ale name to golden or maybe even blonde ale?Not sure.
    Maybe this list might help?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/6/?start=0

5. I know of small breweries that brew cream ales with all pilsner malt. Corn is traditional but not universal, as a lot of brewers want to avoid adjuncts out of principle. Kolsch is definitely a unique thing in theory, but plenty of brewers just brew a generic blond ale and use that name, and the idea behind it is really almost the same when it comes down to it: an ale meant to taste like a pale lager.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  6. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Because they aren't barrel aged or quintuple hopped.

StuartCarter likes this.
  7. Drinking a Third Street Rise to the Top cream ale right now, it's not blowing me away but I could put a six pack of this away, pretty good drinkin beer if you ask me.

8. KentT

KentT Aficionado (215) Tennessee Oct 15, 2008

I love Genny Cream and Little Kings. I'd buy them much more often if I could source them locally. The nearest sources for them are an hour's drive away for me. I enjoy cream ale as a session beer.

9. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (605) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Based on a minimal amount of experience, cream ales are generally much better than ALLs. That's probably why ALLs are everywhere.

10. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (455) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

Carton Brewing in NJ has great cream ales. Not too too far assuming you aren't from upstate NY

11. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (600) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

It is interesting how people think it's so boring. And truly, made to style, I would agree. One of my house homebrews is a hoppy cream ale, however, and it is one of my favorite summer beers. With the right water it's a good way to showcase hops, nice corn sweetness to back up the bittering addition.

12. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Lack of flavor.

13. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Because they would sit on the shelf. American craft beer drinkers (and I know this is a massive generalization) don't appreciate subtlety. They want bold, in your face flavors. Cream ales just don't fit into this.

14. Ninkasi in the West has a pretty good cream ale.

15. DideeP

DideeP Initiate (20) Wisconsin Oct 6, 2013

My husband and I bought a 6 pack of Genesee Cream Ale (16 oz. cans) in a liquor store in Milwaukee. Very surprised to see it there. I am originally from PA and Genny was my first beer. Not a bad beer at all for the price.

16. Hardywood Park out of Richmond, VA packs a decent cream ale. I think when it comes to that style, it's tough to get much "pop" from that "pop". Still, not a bad 12 oz curl for a session brew.

17. Good to know, because that Summer Solstice is one of the worst beers I've ever had. I love Anderson Valley, but whatever style that beer is, is definitely NOT my style. Too sweet, too...something. Can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely not for me. Though I guess I'm in the minority, as it's got a lot of glowing reviews. Oh well...more for you guys!

18. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I think we're in a phase of more bold styles in craft beer right now, but it looks as if that slowly changing. So I expect to see more styles like cream ales making a resurgence.

19. mactrail

mactrail Champion (785) Washington Mar 24, 2009

Ummmm-- is this a trick question?

20. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I use enough of that to clean machines at work that I can't imagine even making a joke about drinking that stuff.

21. I am from Rochester, NY, home of Genny, and literally grew up on the stuff. From the time I was about 3 my father used to slip me a little at the kitchen table, and it was a beer of choice when I was a teenager. I worked across the street from the brewery for a couple of years when I was in college, and would head for the bar across the street for a couple of glasses at $.10 per--at lunch time, after the B trick, or even after the C trick (which ended at 7 AM). Friends and relatives would always have it in the refrigerator when we went to visit, and I consumed substantial quantities until we moved to VA in 1982.

22. The style seems to not have characteristics that make it stand out. I could honestly settle for something like Yuengling or maybe PBR if I wanted something light and refreshing, and could save a few dollars also. Also people probably already have their mind made up about them and are less willing to try one. That is certainly the case for me although when I do have one I tend to enjoy them. Seems to be lots of reasons but main one is probably the majority of users and contributors on this site like more flavor, alcohol, and panache in a beer than a regular ol cream ale. Just my opinion of course.

Actually here in NC we have a few good ones, Catawba Valley's cream ale, Farmer Ted I believe and Fullsteam's cream ale are both excellent in my opinion. That remind me, I need to review them...

peetoteeto likes this.