1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Why Boulevard Is Possibly the Greatest Company on Earth

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by fostah, Dec 18, 2012.

1. fostah

fostah Member

So, we had our second child in October, named him Brett (I'm sure you can all make the logical inferences). A few weeks after his birth, I was gifted a bottle of Saison-Brett from our (the store I work at) distro rep for Boulevard after a tasting (the bottle was extra stock that hadn't been opened at the tasting, and I had just come back from my leave). I brought the bottle home and showed the wife, who commented on the bottling year on the label, and how the bottle would be a pretty kick ass commerative of Brett's birth this year. I noticed the individual numbering, and commented on how truly kick ass it would be to have Bottle #1012 (Brett's birthday) from the 2012 batch as a keepsake. I checked into my stock, and found that we had higher bottling numbers.

So I emailed Boulevard, thinking they might know which case, on which pallet, then in which direction bottle #1012 went. I know they have a relatively limited distribution (Midwest/East Coast) and thought Beer Advocates might be able to help me from that point on. I expected either: "Hey, dude! Thanks for drinking our beer! That bottle seems to have ended up somewhere in Delaware or New Jersey!" or "Hey, dude! Thanks for drinking our beer! We have no idea where that bottle is!". This is the email I received:

Greetings, Matt-

Thanks so much for your message, and congratulations on the birth of your son Brett!
    I have good news and bad news:
    Unfortunately, we have no way to find an individual bottle of Saison-Brett. The bottles in that release have long since been scattered to the four winds.

Your appreciation for our beers and your loyalty and hard work should not go unrewarded, however...I have an idea that may serve as a suitable commemorative of Brett's arrival. I hope you'll like it. May we have your mailing address?

Cheers!

Payton Kelly
    Creative Director, Boulevard Brewing Company
    2501 Southwest Boulevard
    Kansas City, Missouri 64108
    (personal information redacted)​

So I send him my mailing address, with no real expectations, and it fell to the back of my mind. Today, I got a package from Boulevard. It was much larger than I could've ever expected, and this is what it contained:

[​IMG]

Matted, framed, and signed by Payton Kelly (Creative Director) and John McDonald (Founder and President) of Boulevard Brewing Co. It's being hung in Brett's room, and I can't wait to tell him the story of why there's a beer's label with his birthdate on it in his room!

Say what you want about their beer (I'm a huge fan, but that's obvious), this is WAY above and beyond reasonable expectations of a company. So, yeah. Pretty awesome group of people over there in Kansas City.
  2. jasonmason

jasonmason Member

Things like this remind you that for all we grouse about it here, the craft beer community can be pretty amazing sometimes. Congrats!
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  3. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 Member

I've become a huge fan of Boulevard living in KC. They put out a great product and do a lot of cooperative stuff in the community.
  4. jroberge1981

jroberge1981 Member

That is pretty darn cool, to say the least.
  5. CritterTN

CritterTN Member

That is a great story! They just came to NC and I'll spread this story to my friends! Congrats on the birth of your son!
  6. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

Way cool move. And they now house one of six master Cicerones in the world. I, am too, a huge fan of their beer.
  7. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 Member

if one of my bottles was 1012 i would offer it to you, but both of mine are in the 9000 range... but thats still really awesome they did that for you, lot of respect for Boulevard
  8. Wolfpack2005

Wolfpack2005 Member

Thats awesome! We just recently got Boulevard Brews in our area and I was already a pretty big fan of their beers, but after seeing this it makes me like them even more. Congrats!
  9. Knapp85

Knapp85 Member

You gotta love the people who really care in this world. This is fantastic, Congrats on everything!
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  10. jl28r1

jl28r1 Member

Awesome of them and congrats to you!
  11. aasher

aasher Member

Very cool! Good to know Boulevard is more than a pretty face.
  12. fostah

fostah Member

Thanks to all for the congrats. I really wanted to make sure the greater BA community heard this, as it is a pretty bad ass, awesome, and frigging amazing thing for them to do.

Cheers!
    davey101 likes this.
  13. shangwang

shangwang Member

Congratulations, and cheers... awesome story.
  14. match1112

match1112 Member

Congrats on the birth of your son! Boulevard is a great company and this is just one more reason that I will continue to purchase their products.
  15. Chelsea1905

Chelsea1905 Member

Thanks for sharingthe story, and congrats on the addition to your family
  16. kingofhop

kingofhop Member

Very nice post. Coincidentally, bought a six of Nutcracker Ale earlier today. It's chillin' right now and I won't open one till tomorrow, but I'll be thinking about this thread when I do. Congrats.
  17. mwilbur

mwilbur Member

Congratulations to you! I was already a huge fan of their beers, but this pretty much makes me smitten for life.
  18. davey101

davey101 Member

This might be the coolest thing I've heard of a brewery doing. Boulevard ftw!!!

Congrats as well!
    fujindemon74 and kingofhop like this.
  19. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Member

20. Acidisco

Acidisco Member

Interesting to see this thread right now, as I just drank a 750 of Saison-Brett by myself that I had been holding onto since this summer. Bottle # 5326, but if it was your number... oh snap!
    fostah likes this.
  21. draheim

draheim Member

Anyone pick up any baby diaper in the 2012 Saison-Brett? ;)

JK. One of my all-time favorite beers from one of my all-time favorite breweries (and yes, they distribute all the way out here in Washington, God bless them). Great story OP.
  22. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

Have always enjoyed their beers and am glad to hear that they are nice people.

It's not just about the beer, it's about the people behind the beer...
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  23. Just went and checked, my bottle # is 25,000 something lol. Love the beer, awesome story!
  24. mychalg9

mychalg9 Member

Very cool!
  25. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Member

It is truly amazing how generous some breweries are indeed.
    Never ceases to amaze me . Boulevard hit it out of the park for sure .
  26. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Member

Awesome and congrats!!
  27. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

That is awesome.
    Congratulations :D
  28. Lutter

Lutter Member

Awesome story.

I hope you're keeping a bottle of that around for him to try when he's 21. :)

If you want some more Brett-related items, here's another beer they dastardly named after your son:

[​IMG]
  29. BColton1

BColton1 Member

Great story...and congrats on the birth of your son! Good luck.
  30. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Member

What a great story, congrats. I didn't need any more reason to drink their brews. Through some of the employees I have met while visiting KC and the fact that they actually respond to emails, I already knew they were a high quality organization.
  31. Providence

Providence Member

I'm sure Inbev would have done the same thing.
    FPWolff and jmalex like this.
  32. Providence

Providence Member

Congratulations on your son, enjoy your first holiday season with him!

Boulevard makes great stuff. It's a little pricey so I frequently pass by it, but when I do spring for it I am never let down. I think Double Wide is an excellent DIPA and Tank 7 is a wonderful brew as well.
  33. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 Member

What's a 750 of Tank 7 run in RI, if you don't mind me asking?
  34. Providence

Providence Member

I'm not sure honestly, but it's always an amount that makes me look away. I'd wager to guess around $13?
  35. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 Member

Wow, I'm not too familiar with mark-ups based on distribution but that's a healthy 65% markup compared to prices here in KC. Stock up if you ever head to the midwest!
  36. nate8767

nate8767 Member

Yep, $8-9 in Texas as well
  37. Treebs

Treebs Member

I know of a few stores that still have some on the shelves. I'll look around today on my lunch break and see if any come close to your son's birthday. Very awesome and congrats!
  38. Kaz646

Kaz646 Member

Wow that is really cool. Congrats to you and your wife as well!
  39. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Member

Makes me want to buy another 4 pack of Tank 7. So, so tasty.