1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why Buy Bombers When Sixers are Available???

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GoblueMS, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Our affinity for quality beer has a downside: we spend a lot of money on our enjoyment. I was at Highland Beverage in Birmingham, AL today; and this time, decided to monetarily quantify differences in price between 22 oz. bombers and six packs of the same ale. Surprise! Bombers which sell for $7.99 for a 22 oz. bottle are sold in four packs of 12 oz. for $10.99, or less than $5.50 for 24 oz.

Why oh why did I ever buy a bomber when I had a sixer alternative??

Won't do it anymore, I gar-on-tee! Now if the brew I seek is only available in bombers that is a different story! Your thoughts?
    alysmith4 likes this.
  2. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (510) California Sep 13, 2009

I've always asked that myself and for whatever reason I still do it... I guess I'm just dumb.
  3. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I buy bombers when they are a limited to rare beer thst I want to try/already know I love. Otherwise? 6 packs. Breweries most love bombers.
    musicman7070 and stayclean like this.
  4. They must! I buy Hop Rod Rye in sixers when it is available that way, or in cases of bombers when that is the only option. You typically lose 10-15% in value in buying bombers--sometimes much more!
  5. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (510) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Why is it surprising that buying 22 ounces is more expensive per ounce than buying 48 ounces of something? Has any one ever been to the grocery store and shopped for literally any product?
  6. It is just that when we have the option of buying either size and price point, that we (I) buy the lesser value! Sometimes I really don't want to kill a 22 oz. bottle of 10% ABV at a time..........Then there's the money..............
    BedetheVenerable and chuckstout like this.
  7. actually, I was surprised that vinegar at cvs was cheaper for the larger container than the smaller one. I asked someone and they said that smaller containers often are higher in price for the convenience of the size.

:shrug:

For the most part, there's not many beers that come in both bombers and six'ers. But yeah, if it's offered in six'ers, I'm always on them over the bombers.
  8. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (170) New York Dec 25, 2008

The difference here is that the 48 ounces in your example are packaged in smaller sizes and then grouped together. Usually that leads to a higher cost per ounce. For example, I'm pretty sure canned soda costs more per ounce in 12 packs than it does in 2 liter bottles. There are lots of other examples in both food and drinks as well I'm sure.
    whiskey and RayUF07 like this.
  9. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

It looks more like a wine bottle and I guess people associate wine to "luxury".

I made that one up.
    kneary13 and ColdOne like this.
  10. Because I don't want 6?
  11. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (500) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

If there's a beer I haven't had yet and it's available both ways I buy the bomber. If I don't like it I'm out less beer and less money. If I do like it I'll get a 6 pack the next time.
  12. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Yes. Bombers for new beers or beers still in an experimental stage. 4- and 6-packs for beers I know I like already. (some of my favorites run in 4-packs, not 6-packs)

And the answer to the original question is: because we're either dumb, we can't do math or because we just want the bomber. But the original question is spot on because in every case I've done the math, the 4-pack and 6-pack is cheaper per ounce than the bomber.
    19etz55 likes this.
  13. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (335) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Bombers are attractive but not very cost effective. I can buy a 1/2 growler (32 oz.) for = or less $ than some bombers. Also you can buy a 6ixer (72 oz.) for about the same $ or a little bit more than a 22 ouncer. Do the math and drink better.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  14. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

Why do we buy bottled water at $X/12 pack when we can get essentially the same thing out of our faucet for a lot cheaper?
    kemoarps likes this.
  15. My thoughts are you're telling people on this site to save money? These guys brag about dumping beer down the drain.

16. Why do people by a bottle of 32oz of water for $2+ when you can get 5 gallons out of the machine for 50 cents?!
  17. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

If it's a new beer I want to try I prefer a single or a bomber. I rarely buy 6'er because, I just don't drink that much of any one beer at a time.
  18. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (575) Texas Dec 28, 2012

Sculpin bombers = .40 cents per oz and Sculpin 6 packs = .20 cents per oz so iv always asked myself the same question. If they only sell in bomber format ill buy it. If its available in sixer ill buy that cause its a better value.
  19. A case or a keg are probably a better value too, why don't you buy those?

Like I said above, perhaps you just don't want 6? This thread would have a point if they were comparing bombers or 750ml and 2-packs. Why would you buy three times more then you wanted?
  20. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (575) Texas Dec 28, 2012

Maybe you don't want 2 glasses in a night, maybe you just want 1. What's better then? Save money and have a fresher beer later... Yeah I'll take the 6 pack
  21. You're not saving money. Per the original example, $7.99 is cheaper then $10.99. It's not cheaper per ounce, but again, if you don't want 6 beers, why pay more money.

Like I said, per your logic, why aren't you buying by the case or keg? It's a better value then a 6-pack so you're "saving money".

If someone wants 6 beers, I don't think they are dumb enough to buy 3 bombers. It's about quantity, not price.
    kemoarps and ESeab like this.
  22. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Why do people buy 5 gallons out of a machine for 50 cents when they can get 1000 gallons for ~$2 out of their tap (or 1 cent per 5 gallons)??
    kemoarps likes this.
  23. Sculpin in bombers was the purchase I did and then realized that I really overpaid (and I bought a case of bombers). Sixers are $10.99 and bombers are $4.99; a savings of about 7.5 cents per ounce, or over $21 per case. We are all free to select from among the many flavors and sizes of containers, but I will spend more wisely going forward than in the past.
  24. No my friend I was dumb and bought the three bombers over six 12 oz. Can't even tell you why, but I did. I know there are many different comparisons to make, but the one I encounter at many beer stores is simply 22 oz. bottles versus 12 oz. bottles. The 12 oz. bottles are less money per ounce in this comparison than the 22 oz. bottles per ounce. That's all.....
  25. far333

far333 Advocate (640) Connecticut Nov 16, 2002

Who's "we"?

I fill corny kegs with tap water from my tasty well, then force-carbonate so that I have homemade seltzer in the beer fridge right alongside kegs oh home brew.
    kemoarps likes this.
  26. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

If the same beer is available in both 6 packs and bombers I will ALWAYS buy the 6 pack. Besides the fact that the beer is cheaper per oz that way, I most often drink by myself so it makes more sense to be able to enjoy the beers 12oz at a time rather than having to drink an entire bomber in one sitting.

Not to mention that when trying a beer for the first time it makes more sense to sample it from a 12 oz bottle (most bottle shops these days where I live sell singles) rather than a bomber which costs much more. If I don't like that beer then it's better losing a couple bucks on that 12 oz bottle rather than wasting $6-10 on a bomber.

And if a brewer thinks he's going to "force" me to buy a particular beer in a more expensive format then I'll just vote with my wallet and not buy that beer any more.
    johnnnniee likes this.
  27. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

I buy sixers 12's or 24's if it is a beer I want a bunch off because price is better.
    But real talk sculpin for 4.99? And sixers for 10.99? With your price it wouldn't matter cause I see bombers here for 7.99 and sixers at 14.99 do if I went down where you live I save no matter what.
  28. When I first got into craft beer I always went for bombers but I slowly realized that wasnt the best way to go and I'd rather go with singles and do a mix a six. If the beer isnt available in singles or 6/4 packs then Ill get the bomber.
  29. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (510) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Coldness is sometimes a factor for me.
  30. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

Are bombers more cost effective for a brewery? There are some great beers out there that I wish I could get in 12 oz bottle/can six packs.
  31. I dont understand why someone would do bombers only because a lot of them sit on the shelves collecting dust. One store I go to always has Hoppin Frog sittting there and if I really wanted it I dont have to worry about it ever sellling out. :)
  32. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

This is not an accurate comparison. Think about breakfast cereal. The larger the box, the cheaper it gets. It is in 1 package though. Now compare a package of individual serving boxes. You get the same # of ounces as the large box, but the individual "pack" costs more. You have to factor in packaging costs. Around here many bombers are cheaper than the alternative packages.
  33. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

You're argumnet sucks unless you plan on drinking that particular beer one time and not having it again for a couple months or if it's the very first time you've tried it.

I believe, for most BA's when you stop by the store and do your beer shopping it's gonna be for beer you want to drink and that you know you like. I can't think of a beer I like where I would say, "Yeah, I could drink a couple of these tonight, but shit, I don't know if I'd be able to choke those other 4 down in the next couple months."

22's benefit first time buyers of a particular beer, sixers benefit fans of a particular beer.
  34. Bombers are to get placements at grocery stores 12oz are what real beer stores carry if available in that format. Bombers=saved shelf space at inflated prices. They are crap for the most part. Never the best value if available in both formats. I honestly wish they would stop making them, I do understand their use for nano brewers that hand bottle.
  35. I agree.
  36. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

This...
    When I go to the store andd see a new product that I want to try a small portion of to see if I like it, I buy the smaller, more expensive product. If I don't like it I am still money ahead because I don't have to throw a bunch out.
    Secondly I am a homebrewer, and a lazy one at that. Bombers cut my bottling time in half and give me just about the perfect amount of beer to enjoy. Piggybacking on this same idea I get to try some crazy one off commercial offerings while obtaining the bottles that I like to use best. Win/win.
    But then again when it really comes down to it when I go beer shopping, price doesn't really come in to play for me untill we get over 18$ a "package".
  37. For a non-snarky answer, honestly, sometimes I can afford (in my weekly beer budget) an 8-dollar bomber/750 ml, where I can't quite afford an 11-dollar 4-pk (Hennepin is the example I'm thinking of). I know it's a shitty deal, but if I'm really craving Hennepin that week, I gots to do what I gots to do. However, in general, I agree w/you...if it's a beer I know, and it's available in sixers or four-packs, I'm likely buying that over the bomber if money's not an issue.
  38. jcdgoad

jcdgoad Aficionado (170) Arkansas Sep 11, 2008

Ok, I work for a small beer wholesaler. Breweries can make more money selling 22 oz bottles than six packs. The cost of 12 22 oz bottles and 12 labels is much cheaper than the cost of 24 12 oz bottles, six pack holders and 24 labels.......and they can charge more money for a case of twelve 22 oz bombers than they can for a case of 24 12 oz bottles.

That is why you see a lot of new breweries start out selling 22 oz bottles and when they get to a certain volume level they switch to 12 oz bottles or cans....or other smaller formats.

Also most wholesalers, and retailers have a higher markup on 22 oz bottles than they do on six packs, 4 packs etc.
    For example most retailers in my area mark up six packs 30% and single bottles 40%....and 12 packs are at 25%.

I don't neccesarily agree with the pricing........but there is almost always a discount for volume.

Believe it or not the markup on beer is much less than it is on wine.......and for about $10 per bottle a world class beer can be purchased. Try buying a world class bottle of win at that price...

Beer is fun and affordable!!
    Vonstein15 likes this.
  39. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

But not all of us are so fixated on cost. If we were, we'd be drinking Natty Light. For me, the motivation in getting a bomber is very simple: it is a single serving, and costs less in raw dollars. Yes, it costs more per oz, but I don't want to drink the 5 other bottles that'll be left over in a six pack. I'd rather try other beer that is new to me. So I don't care that maybe I'm paying 50 cents an oz instead of 38.
  40. If they sell it in 6 packs then that is what I buy, like Sculpin. The only time I buy bombers is when I have no choice since I've never seen a better value going the bomber route. Would rather have 12oz at a time then 22oz also.