1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why can't I decide what glass to use?!?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Gregfalone, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Does anyone else have this problem? I've accumulated so many glasses in the past couple years that its become a pain in the ass just deciding what glass to use! I stand there looking in my cupboard just staring... It's just like the problem I have at a good beer stores stand there like a deer in the headlights looking at the glasses, for half an hour sometimes. It's easy when I have a glass from the brewery in which the beer came from, but for the millions of others I sit and hesitate... I don't have this issue in other areas of life, I'm usually very decisive. First world problems man... First world problems...

Sometimes I think about just swiggin' from the bottle/can

2. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

I have a good number, but glasses usually fall in and out of favor with me. I will drink out of one glass a lot (as long as it is for the style I am drinking), then get board of it and grab a new glass. I usually use a Dales Pale Ale pint glass or a SN snifter these days.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  3. Default to the Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Can't go wrong.

4. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

If I've had the beer several times before I usually go right from the bottle. If its a whale I use a giant snifter. Any beer that's new will go into a glass, my go to is a tulip.

5. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

What is this I don't even...

imbrue001 likes this.
  6. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I used to do the same thing. I feel that I go through phases of glasses just as I do with styles of beer. Lately, I've found myself coming back to the trusty pint glass unless it's a beer I haven't had before. Then it's a tulip or snifter to really capture the aroma.

beercanman likes this.
  7. Try to match the style of beer to the glassware ... Simple solution period !!

8. Snifter, tulip, nonic.

I left out thistle :eek:

9. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

A tulip will treating anything with respect.. You can never be faulted for drinking quality beer from a tulip.

JxExM likes this.
  10. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

A huge factor for me would be: which glasses have been more recently washed? Any glass that doesn't look pristine in cleanliness isn't getting a pour.

DevilsCups and Gregfalone like this.
  11. I'm not sure when drinking beer became so complicated. Proper glassware is cool and all, some of you dudes use it as a fetish, but the beer is and always has been about the beer. Open it and pour it into whatever container you like but for fucks sake drink it.

12. That's what I used to do, but now I have a few of every type of glass. Maybe ill just rotate them.

13. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

I have over 50 glasses, but use my Duvel Tulip, DFH signature, or SA perfect pint 90% of the time.

14. I'm pretty sure Kenny Powers said this.

SammyJaxxxx, JxExM and beerloserLI like this.
  15. Truth... Can't say I love thier beers, but I LOVE that glass

BrownAleMale likes this.
  16. I ALWAYS drink it! Maybe the time taken selecting is for the best. By the time I decide the beer has warmed up to drinking tempurature

beercanman likes this.
    Gregfalone likes this.
  18. Good point... On my way to the bar to drink newcastle and shoot pool...

beerloserLI likes this.
  19. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Problem solved, just don't acquire any more glasses or you'll end up drinking everything at room temp.

20. This is what my wife refers to as "White People Problems".

It never gets old.

Cozzatoad and JxExM like this.
  21. Except your dignity while in public.

22. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

Just close your eyes and grab one! As long as it doesn't leak, it's a winner;)

23. frognot

frognot Aficionado (210) Texas May 20, 2009

Red Solo cup. Mark your name on it with a Sharpie.

24. Go buy yourself a rather large Lazy Susan. Arrange your glassware around the edges of the apparatus. Slowly spin it and then close your eyes. Gently place your index finger near the edge of the device and slow it down with your fingertip. Whichever glass your finger ends up on is the glass for the night. Think of it as The Price Is Right for glassware.

25. chumsnards666

chumsnards666 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012

Hollowed out skull.

At least that's what I use.

26. The correct answer is tulip.

When in doubt....tulip.

JimKal likes this.
  27. I have the same problem on the weekends with women.

hannydawg likes this.
  28. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Lately I've been using my Samuel Adams Winter Lager Nonic, which is smaller than other Nonics that I have. Also love my Saison DuPont slender pint

29. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

The Samuel Adams perfect pint, a simple glass mug, or a shaker pint are usually enough for me. I will break out my large snifter for some beers, but I have used a Duvel tulip and my new pokal glass lately.

30. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

I have more trouble deciding which beer to drink. I try to go a week or two without buying more beer but new stuff keeps coming out.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  31. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

While I often use a Shaker Pint glass because I like the way it feels in my hand, I've noticed that drinking the same beer our of one of my tulips is more enjoyable in a number of ways - head formation and aroma are just better with the tulip. And, surprisingly, it seems to have more taste out of the tulip (perhaps due to the concentrated aroma).

32. Bingo

33. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

New belgium globe is my go to. It holds 20 oz if you're careful with your pour, but if you get a lot of head you don't have to worry about space either. Beers look beautiful in it, and it enhances aroma and flavor as well as any of my tulips. My duvel tulip is a close second.

sharpski likes this.
  34. I let my cupboard decide for me. I tend to use my Portsmouth tulips or DFH signature, so everything else gets pushed to the back. Therefore it's too much effort to get anything else! I'll make exceptions if I have a matching brewery glass.

35. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

Once I get a teku I think my personal glassware conundrum will be solved

fujindemon74 likes this.
  36. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I have over 200 beer glasses.

I use one. The same one. Always. And there's no logo on it either. I must be going to Hell for using glassware 'wrong'.

Seriously, just use a glass and drink it. It's not rocket science.

37. RyanMM

RyanMM Aficionado (210) Michigan Mar 12, 2009

I have a policy that I only have one style of socks. That way, I don't have to "pair" socks after doing the laundry, because they're all the same. No matter what socks I grab, they'll match. Every couple years I throw them all out and get a bunch of new pairs.

I try and carry that philosophy over into glassware. I use the multi-tasker of beer glasses. Fuck unitaskers.

[​IMG]

fujindemon74 likes this.
  38. I use a coffee mug now so my boss will get off my case every morning.

39. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

99% of the time it's a pint glass or tulip, never a difficult decision. I might use a weizen glass if it's a wheat or snifter if it's something really strong or hoppy. I definitely don't see how choosing a glass would really be difficult. Maybe you're more into the glassware than you are the beer, and that is not cool.

I think drinking a particular beer out of a certain type of glass is overrated. Does it really matter? I know some believe the nose can come out better with certain glasses, but i've never confirmed this is true. I personally don't think it makes a world of difference.

First world problems? I don't even think that's the descriptor. The word "problem" doesn't belong.

RyanMM likes this.