1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Why can't we like ratings?

Discussion in 'Site' started by gcamparone, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I can't count the number of times I've went to click the "like" button for an awesome rating, and realized that there isn't an option to do that.

Now that non-review ratings are being counted, shouldn't there be a way to show some appreciation to those who put a true effort into explaining their review/rating?

2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Because it doesn't exist, but we're looking at ways users can interact with user submitted content out side of forum posts in the site redesign.

3. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I would like a helpful/not helpful type option for written reviews, personally. Just a way you can easily find some of the better written reviews.

4. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Maybe there can be a way down the road to move ratings up or down depending on how helpful/useful/liked they are? This would eliminate the problem of the ratings showing up before reviews.

5. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

I wish we could comment on reviews!! :)

6. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

If only there were a website called "Beer Advocate Reviews Advocate" where people could write reviews of reviews on BeerAdvocate.com or simply "like" them, which would be equivalent to a "Had". :p

7. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Because in the same way that a "like" button encourages contrived, populist, and throwaway posts; it will encourage contrived, populist, and throwaway reviews.

RBCORCORAN likes this.
  8. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

You have some data to support this claim? Pointer? Thanks.

9. danieelol

Sources:

[1] Facebook

10. drtth

A name. An example of use. Good start. Now data that it is "like" that has/creates the problems you describe? Thanks.

Edit: could be inherent in Facebook even if you took away " like."

11. The initial comment actually made me think of Twitter.

12. danieelol

I like how you're going all academic yet we're talking about something completely subjective, the quality of posting.

Nonetheless it is pretty easy for anyone with a modicum of awareness to see that people are tailoring their posts to yield a greater quantity of likes. Personally I don't think this improves the quality of posting, but others who want some hilarious and original jokes about Celebration losing its spices and innovative quotes from The Big Lebowski and Blue Velvet may feel otherwise.

13. drtth

1) Objective measurement and/or quantification of subjective qualities is done all the time and has a long, successful history when done in the right way and interpreted within its limitations, e.g., some marketing research, e.g., the ratings of beers on this site, the ratings of wines, etc., etc.

2) The tailoring you personally observe goes on even in the absence of "like," as the posts made on this site before the introduction of "like" for posts more than adequately demonstrated.

So I guess your bottom line is you have no data to point to. You just don't like "like." Thanks for the clarification. Enjoy your day.

14. danieelol

I guess that conversely there's no point in asking for your data supporting the "like" then.

I'm also going to assume you don't like columnists, critics, novelists, film-makers, even brewers; anyone in the creative sphere, because what they produce is not "data-driven".

Edit: this argument is extremely pointless. I'm over it.

RBCORCORAN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.