Why did Goose Island stop making an Oatmeal Stout?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, May 22, 2013.

1. Was it horrible or not selling well ? I saw pics of it and it looked so beautiful. I never got to try it.

2. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Because Rare was coming out and nobody wanted that cheap shit anymore.

fredmugs likes this.
  3. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

They also stopped making their Nut Brown Ale -- which is now back.

From what I recall it was due to brewing and storage limitations of the brewery -- they wanted to make more of the specialty beers (yeah, that probably sold better) so they cut a couple standard labels.

Now that they're supposed to be expanding the brewery I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back like the Nut Brown.

4. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

I thought it was delicious and I always looked forward to it in the Winter. It was a sessionable stout that still packed a lot of flavor. I hope it returns to bottles some day...

5. believe it was a lack of sales. Wish we had more solid and readily available oatmeal stouts - one of my fav. styles.

denver10 likes this.
  6. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

When I lived in the Midwest, I thought their Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown were the only two decent offerings they had in their regular lineup. Figures they'd axe precisely those two brews. From what I remember, it was a capacity issue, as their Belgian lineup and barrel aged lineup were expanding on top of adding brews like Big John, Nightstalker, etc. I think it was around that time they put Christmas Ale on hiatus as well (another personal favorite from them).

7. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I miss that one as well. Someone start a petition to bring it back.

8. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (180) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Yeah, it was really nice Oatmeal Stout. Defenetely one of the better ones.